Impressed with Scubapro customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gelirfella

Contributor
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that I am deeply impressed with scubapro's customer service. I know there have been mixed reviews of this historically. But I had some questions about the G2Tek computer and emailed through the site. They were very responsive and ultimately when they weren't sure that we were on the same page they sent me the number of their Florida sales rep who turned out to be David Rhea. He spent 20 minutes on the phone with me sharing a lot of his wealth of knowledge and fully clarified a misrepresentation that has been out there about the SOS feature on Scubapro computers.

In short, the manual for the G2tek reads as though lockout does not occur until a diver surfaces (ie an absolute depth of 0.8m or 3 feet) after blowing off a deco stop. However, on this forum I have seen people stating the depth is relative to the deco stop. This concerned me so I asked about it and he clarified that the manual is correct. The lockout occurs when an absolute depth of 0.8m is maintained for >3 minutes after blowing off a mandatory deco stop, which on the G2 tek is defined as a deco calculated from GF 100/100. None of this is particularly relevant to me at this time but I like to know how my equipment performs in all use cases so I wanted to understand its function and whether or not it would be safe to use once I get to the level of deco diving. They explained that they installed this function to ensure that the data from that dive is not lost for the usage of a hyperbaric physician. The 3 minute duration allows for a diver in extremis to surface briefly to call for help, pass of an injured buddy, etc. and still return to depth to complete their deco. If you stay longer than 3 minutes it's too late and you're bent anyways. He made a good point that if the 3 feet was a relative depth there would be a million reports of lockout all the time when doing deco because people aren't generally good enough with buoyancy control to stay within that margin reliably.

They explained that they installed this function to ensure that the data from that dive is not lost for the usage of a hyperbaric physician.
How does that preserve the data? My Garmin doesn't lock out, and all the data from my dives for the last 2 years are available!

The 3 minute duration allows for a diver in extremis to surface briefly to call for help, pass of an injured buddy, etc. and still return to depth to complete their deco. If you stay longer than 3 minutes it's too late and you're bent anyways.
This is just stupid! You are no more automatically bent after 3 min than you are after 2 min. going over GF 100/100 does not mean you are automatically bent.

It sounds like bad customer support to me, if they are telling fairy tales like you are already bent if you get locked out, or they have to lock you out to save the data.

This is just stupid! You are no more automatically bent after 3 min than you are after 2 min. going over GF 100/100 does not mean you are automatically bent.

It sounds like bad customer support to me, if they are telling fairy tales like you are already bent if you get locked out, or they have to lock you out to save the data.
I’m not sure if the argument is strong or not. Would need to talk to some hyperbaric docs and see how often they encounter situations where dive data has been overridden or not saved because the computer continued running after a diver suffered the bends. Also would need to know how useful that data is for them. I suspect somewhat so.

Surfacing with no deco over the Buhlman M line with no conservativism built in is pretty high risk. Not 100% you’ll be bent. I believe there are prognostic tables for this but haven’t explored them yet. Though it’s clear it’s a very high risk category. But it isn’t an unreasonable statement to say that after 3 minutes at the surface following above said failed protocols you should not dive again for some time. Certainly could argue that it’s not the company’s role to hold your hand on that or make those decisions for you. And as I said above I have no direct knowledge of whether or not their argument for the lockout represents a “fairy tale.” A hyperbaric consultant for DAN could provide some insight. But that’s not me.

Nonetheless it makes the lockout a non issue from a practical sense because this should never happen and if it does something has gone seriously wrong. Not will the computer abandon you while still in the water and in need of it’s calculations. You could argue the lockout is philosophically an error and take a stand on that, but I was more concerned about its functional implications.

As for the quality of the customer service. A seriously veteran diver took 20 minutes of his time to explain to me the function of the computer and his arguments for why it is a safe and effective device. He was generous and kind and prompt in his response. Those things are invaluable and contradictory to some of the reports I have read. difficult to dispute that point.

A seriously veteran diver took 20 minutes of his time to explain to me the function of the computer and his arguments for why it is a safe and effective device. He was generous and kind and prompt in his response. Those things are invaluable and contradictory to some of the reports I have read. difficult to dispute that point.

David Rhea is a very well established GUE instructor with lots of grey hair.

David Rhea is a very well established GUE instructor with lots of grey hair.

He was awesome. Very kind. I’ve just seen a lot of negative statements about SP customer support and I wanted to provide my experience which was deeply positive. One of the best interactions I’ve had with a company.

I just acquired a boatload of SP gear so I’ll be looking like a promotional billboard or something.

What did you get?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom