Can you explain the "Rocket Diver" Syndrom when diving a backplate and wings to me.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am no expert but I have had a similar experience. When trusting a DM just after my OW to advise me on weighting he insisted that I use 2kg less than I had previously and then carried out a rather suspect buoyancy check. At the end of the dive I couldn't stay down above 5M.

So I was wondering if you carried out a buoyancy check prior to diving with a different configuration and also were you using a single tank with a doubles wing (wrapping)?

As I said I'm no expert but, like you, want to learn

Hallmac once bubbled...
[BHey WW where does the term "poodle jacket" come from?

Hall [/B]

From the "puffy chest" look one gets wearing one, especially when they ride up high as they tend to do, looks like a poodle with a fancy haircut :)

WW

I wouldn’t want to work on buoyancy control with a new BC under the circumstances you describe; packed with divers And it’s not unusual to feel as though you’re relearning buoyancy control when you change to a backplate and wings, I know I did. If you can, practice in a pool. In a 15-foot deep pool, you don’t have to worry about DCS and if you master buoyancy at that depth, it will be even easier deeper.

While BP&Ws are great, I think that the hype results in the unrealistic expectation that you’ll strap it on and instantly have great buoyancy control. IMHO, good buoyancy control comes from lots of hard work and practice not equipment. With any new BC it takes time to get used to the inflator as well as the location of the dumps and the body position required for them to be effective.

Mike

Mike, I have practiced my buoyancy for many months and with all due respect have gotten good at it (not to sound conceited because there is always room for improvement). I have learned a lot about my style of diving, my body, and technique with neutral buoyancy. I have had to work at different weighting techniques to figure out where my neutrality lies. I have practiced swimming it up and down so if I am slightly underweight, say with extra mil, that my dive is still successful and I have had DMs overweight me so much in the beginning that I was like a cast iron skillet.
One thing I like about the BP system is that I can incorporate my weight in my BP and connections so that I am not diving all this unneccessary "ditchable" weight. I get better balance and trim because the weight is in the proper places, not in a stupid belt around my waist that hurts my bones and bruises me or slides down and trys to fall off or crammed into pockets.

Unfortunately the first time I dove a BP it was not in the best place or circumstance for diving at all (Manatee season in the Springs in Florida) but the other dives have been much better. Ya know, I take it back. This happened on the third dive. The first two were a lot more practice, hovering, buoyancy, just getting the feel of the rig really. This happened the first time I tried to do a lot of maneuvering within the crowd. I have a pool but it is not 15ft deep. I think I'll call the dive shop in Sav. GA (Dive Locker) and see if I can play in their pool. They have been so cool to allow us to play with their new gear to see what we wanted to purchase before making a decisions.

Conor, I did a check before going down into the spring. Unfortunately, we spent a good deal of time at the surface dealing with other diver's issues before we could descend. On that day I was weighted right on. I had 6 mil of wetsuit on and the BP helped to prevent me from cramming weight in the weight pockets. It was a single tank setup. I helped SJ with doubles once and said "there's no way I could dive doubles I've got to get certified to dive mixed air." But I have come up with some innovative ideas about (me) wearing doubles. I would prefer to get certified to use the mix to avoid doubles for a lot of different dives. I have not tried doubles yet. I weight less than 100 lbs and have been concerned about handling them to be perfectly honest.

EZ, it was a 27lb wing.

Thanks to everyone who has given me input. I really appreciate all your help.

RavenC once bubbled...
I have not tried doubles yet. I weight less than 100 lbs and have been concerned about handling them to be perfectly honest.

I'm 5'2" and 105lbs. My buddies keep trying to temp me into doubles but I'm really not very strong physically. They tell me (jokingly, of course?) that I could do "double 40's" since my air consumption is relatively good. For now I'm perfectly happy in a single tank set-up!

RavenC once bubbled...
Mike, I have practiced my buoyancy for many months and with all due respect have gotten good at it (not to sound conceited because there is always room for improvement).

I didn’t mean to imply that your buoyancy control was not good. I was referring to working on the changes resulting from switching to a BP&Ws. I’ve noticed that even simple changes such as changing exposure protection or adding a stage bottle can “throw things off” and it takes a while to adjust. The change from a vest BC to a BP&Ws is a big one.

Good Luck,
Mike

I didn’t mean to imply that your buoyancy control was not good. I was referring to working on the changes resulting from switching to a BP&Ws. I’ve noticed that even simple changes such as changing exposure protection or adding a stage bottle can “throw things off” and it takes a while to adjust. The change from a vest BC to a BP&Ws is a big one.

Good Luck,
Mike

Yeah, I agree. I'm always certain that my buoyancy is under control until I change a piece of equipment and then zap!

For this reason, I do try to practice in a pool whenever I can, and I approach the 25-15 foot mark with caution.

Yeah, I agree. I'm always certain that my buoyancy is under control until I change a piece of equipment and then zap!

For this reason, I do try to practice in a pool whenever I can, and I approach the 25-15 foot mark with caution.

You just replied to an eight year old post :D

Been there done that :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom