DIR- GUE GUE Compatible BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My instructor also said not to get the xdeep backplate because of the non-standard crotch attachment points on the backplate (it's a Y shape).

To be clear, this isn't a universal GUE restriction. I've seen a local instructor be fine with the Y-shaped crotch strap. However, instructors can have specific preferences, which is why this conversation is best had with the instructor of your choice.

Like you, I was averse to paying the Halcyon tax at first. While I'm not exactly budget-constrained, I am conscious in getting the most value for everything I purchase. I ended up buying a Halcyon backplate as their edges are truly rounded and smooth. It may seem like a small detail but I rather not take the chance in subjecting my hoses, webbing, and drysuit sleeves to undue wear-and-tear if it can be avoided.

I have a Halcyon Steel backplate, it is almost identical to my cheapo HOG backplate that I bought before that plate. This isn't to say one is good or the other is better. Just offering additional choices.

One last plug for Halcyon is their titanium multi-tool (you'll need a cutting device per GUE standards). This tool is a brilliant all-in-one. Both smooth and serated knife edge, indent for line-cutting, two different sized wrench heads for regulator hoses, and three stacked allen keys for regulator plugs etc.
This is again one of those cases where your instructor might have a preference that is different. I use a cheap steak knife with the edge broken off and smoothened with a dremel. A tool with a sharp corner (as is apparent in the product page of the titanium multi-tool) would be heavily discouraged by my local instructor.

To be clear, this isn't a universal GUE restriction. I've seen a local instructor be fine with the Y-shaped crotch strap. However, instructors can have specific preferences, which is why this conversation is best had with the instructor of your choice.

This is again one of those cases where your instructor might have a preference that is different. I use a cheap steak knife with the edge broken off and smoothened with a dremel. A tool with a sharp corner (as is apparent in the product page of the titanium multi-tool) would be heavily discouraged by my local instructor.
I can assure you that XDeep sell two types of backplates. The one that comes with Hydros donut wing is a perfectly standard backplate and you can use it for Fundies, Cave and all kinds of other tech training (I did).

The Y-shaped strap is on the fancy NX Project wing.

I’m looking at completing fundies sometime soon and want to purchase my first BPW. Since I don’t know where exactly I’d be interested in doing the course, I haven’t contacted any instructors.
Since you have not decided where to take Fundies and therefore have not contacted any instructors, you can ignore everyone who responded with "Get gear advice from your instructor" and rather find the BP and wing you find most comfortable and affordable for the tanks and suit you intend to use. But just be sure your choice fits in the published criteria for GUE Fundies. Then, when selecting where and from whom to take the training, make sure the instructor does not have a brand bias against your gear.
I'd rather not buy a BPW setup that isn’t GUE-compliant and looking for some advice that isn’t halcyon. I found this on dive gear express and was wondering if anyone can provide some insight on these? I was mainly looking at the one with the OMS wing.
Since you have asked for advice that is NOT Halcyon, you can ignore everyone who responded with "Halcyon is better / best because ..." or "buy the Halcyon ..." Any of the combinations on that page will work and fit the criteria set by GUE. Most backplates from any brand are almost identical. I have found OMS plates look, feel, and function exactly the same as the ones with the expensive H on them.
As for having brand logos woven into the webbing, that has no advantage whatsoever. It is easy to see if your 2 shoulder straps are the same length, because they are literally right next to each other on the plate. Just hold them against each other to see if one is longer. If you really feel the need to have a visual reference for where your webbing should be hitting the slots, take $2 of the $30 you will save by buying normal webbing and buy a paint pen, then mark the spot on the shoulder, waist and crotch straps where it goes through the plate (at multiple places if you will be adjusting seasonally for different suits, etc.) And bonus, now you can mark all your other gear as yours and still have that other $28 in your pocket.
Wings: any of the ones shown on your link will work for single tank. If you want to do doubles (now or later) the choices get a bit harder because the selection of styles increases. But it appears you are just looking for singles wings right now, so we won't get too deep into that.
Welcome.

Since you have not decided where to take Fundies and therefore have not contacted any instructors, you can ignore everyone who responded with "Get gear advice from your instructor" and rather find the BP and wing you find most comfortable and affordable for the tanks and suit you intend to use.

And how would someone with out any history of diving a BP/W go about figuring out what is "most comfortable" I have a pile of wings because I'm a nerd and wanted to understand the differences, out of the Dive Right, Dive Gear Express, and OMS wings... I consistently grab the halcyon ones because where the center of buoyancy is in the best place for diving in trim, and the wing isn't super draggy unlike some of the other ones...

But just be sure your choice fits in the published criteria for GUE Fundies. Then, when selecting where and from whom to take the training, make sure the instructor does not have a brand bias against your gear.

That's not a thing in GUE training any more, no one really cares what brand you show up with. Invidually you'll find that a lot of people in the community prefer halcyon and is there a bit of a herd mentality around Halcyon, probably, but the equipment is very well suited to the purpose.

Since you have asked for advice that is NOT Halcyon, you can ignore everyone who responded with "Halcyon is better / best because ..." or "buy the Halcyon ..." Any of the combinations on that page will work and fit the criteria set by GUE. Most backplates from any brand are almost identical. I have found OMS plates look, feel, and function exactly the same as the ones with the expensive H on them.

Agreed a plate is a plate for the most part, that being said make sure you take a systems view and it has a backplate pocket if needed, and a good way to mount an argon bottle (which pretty much all of them do)

As for having brand logos woven into the webbing, that has no advantage whatsoever. It is easy to see if your 2 shoulder straps are the same length, because they are literally right next to each other on the plate. Just hold them against each other to see if one is longer.

I keep notes in my logs for where my shoulder straps are, and crotch strap is for different undergarments and exposure protection. What fits correctly with heated undergarments and multiple layers is not the same as what fits wearing a 200 weight or a 3mm wetsuit, the "Hs" make that very fast and consistent.

If you really feel the need to have a visual reference for where your webbing should be hitting the slots, take $2 of the $30 you will save by buying normal webbing and buy a paint pen, then mark the spot on the shoulder, waist and crotch straps where it goes through the plate (at multiple places if you will be adjusting seasonally for different suits, etc.)
a paint pen would last like 2 dives... If you want to do it that way, get some whipping twine and thread it through the webbing.

since you are in the Austin area, you can come down to the shop in San Marcos--most fridays, we host a GUE get-together in the pool. We can take you through everything and let you borrow some gear to try out, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom