Question DGX vs Halcyon - big difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much weight are you using now? What type of tanks do you plan to use? What type of backplate do you plan to buy (steel, aluminum, or carbon fiber)?

You might not need to buy an integrated weight system at all.
I used 11 kg when I dove drysuit in Japan with 10L steel tanks. Looking at aluminum backplate right now.

I would like something versatile enough to cover all scenarios so I'm willing to shell out the extra cash to buy once.

I call shenanigans. If your instructor helps you get properly weighted and trimmed, you're not going to need to add more than a couple puffs of air to the wing once you reach intended depth, just compensating for the weight of the gas in the tank(s) and any exposure compression. Wing shape is not going to affect "stability" with just few pounds of air lift unless you're using something totally ill-suited for your configuration (like an old style doubles horseshoe that tacos and traps air in a high spot, which wouldn't affect either a DGX or Halcyon donut wing). Trim certainly matters, but you'll be able to dial in good trim for any modern backplate and wing regardless of minor wing shape. When you make your ascent you'll be dumping most any remaining air from the wing, and again it's shape is not going to contribute at all to stability. I suppose one wing profile might be more "stable" at the surface waiting for a boat, but I tend to just overinflate and lean backwards in the lazy boy position if I have any sort of wait, chilling and talking to my buddy about the dive or my instructor about areas of improvement.

Obsessing about the brand of the almost completely empty bag of air strapped to your back feels a little nitpicky.

I own Halcyon and DGX single wings. I don't think I could tell a difference in the water.

At the risk of being pistol-whipped, I too will call shenanigans. The DGX looks a lot like the old DSS wings and I don't recall anyone complaining about "less stability". I'm pretty sure people were big fans of the slim profile.

I used 11 kg when I dove drysuit in Japan with 10L steel tanks. Looking at aluminum backplate right now.

I would like something versatile enough to cover all scenarios so I'm willing to shell out the extra cash to buy once.
How much weight are you using with a wetsuit?

Assuming you were properly weighted when you dove with drysuit, I'd suggest a steel plate. It's better to minimize the amount of additional weight that you have to add.

Aside from travel considerations, the only reason I'd suggest going with the aluminum plate over a steel plate would be if you would be overweighted with a steel plate with your heaviest tanks and least buoyant exposure protection.

With both DGX and Halcyon, you can add the integrated weight systems later. I've seen used Halcyon ACB weight systems come up here on a semi regular basis.

Hi everyone. I am taking GUE fundies next month and am looking to purchase my first BCD ahead of the course.

I was looking at this DGX BPW but my instructor has told me that in his experience it is less stable than Halcyon BCDs.

Halcyon BCDs are outside of my budget but I would like to do the drills in my own BCD if possible.

Is there really that big a difference between DGX and Halycon?

If I move forward with the DGX BCD, how much ditchable weight capacity should I buy on the DGX BCD? Looks like the options range between 8 lb and 32 lb.
I have that exact wing from DGX and a few Halcyon single tanks wings. The halcyon wings trim out a bit bitter, because of the shape Halcyon puts a bit more buoyancy up at your head, and it sort of wraps around the tank a bit better providing more lateral stability.

Don't get ditachable weight pockets, just use a weight belt, and trim weight pockets on the tank bands if needed.

Hi everyone. I am taking GUE fundies next month and am looking to purchase my first BCD ahead of the course.

I was looking at this DGX BPW but my instructor has told me that in his experience it is less stable than Halcyon BCDs.

Halcyon BCDs are outside of my budget but I would like to do the drills in my own BCD if possible.

If I move forward with the DGX BCD, how much ditchable weight capacity should I buy on the DGX BCD? Looks like the options range between 8 lb and 32 lb.

While it is true that the traditional style donut like halcyon, oms, tecline donut that has wider wingspan than DGX, apeks, mares xr, or oxycheq design. Under light load and optimal weight setup, you wont feel much of a difference; noticable, but not significant. However under heavier load, for example, if you sling another tank on your side, wider wing will help when you balance the weight difference.

air pocket ride higher on your back means center of buoyancy also slightly shifted upward when diving in trim. Theorectically speaking yes it is more stable. I use tecline peanut and its a very wide wingspan shape is useful for me and it is noticably more stable than donut.

about ditchable weight capacity, just stay closer to the number of your current optimal weight of the dive environment you often dive.

I hope you find wing of same design under your budget.

That's smart, but it would probably be even smarter to get your BP/W ASAP and dive it for more than a month before taking Fundies, so you can get well used to it before class starts.
BS! As others have pointed out, the plate is nearly identical and wing design is not that big of an issue.
Buy the DGX plate, for sure. As for wing, if your instructor can tell you specifically which H wing is "more stable" than which DGX, and why, try to find a used H wing of that model to save some money. Otherwise just get the DGX wing closest to that if it's in your price range.
Nope
Zero (0) ditchable weight and only as much total weight as you actually need (for a balanced rig), based on the buoyancy of your tanks, suit, and other components you will use before, during, and shortly after Fundies. If you advance to more technical diving later on, you will actually need even less weight for that and will still not want any to be ditchable.

Back
Top Bottom