Question DGX vs Halcyon - big difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aangaroo

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am taking GUE fundies next month and am looking to purchase my first BCD ahead of the course.

I was looking at this DGX BPW but my instructor has told me that in his experience it is less stable than Halcyon BCDs.

Halcyon BCDs are outside of my budget but I would like to do the drills in my own BCD if possible.

Is there really that big a difference between DGX and Halycon?

If I move forward with the DGX BCD, how much ditchable weight capacity should I buy on the DGX BCD? Looks like the options range between 8 lb and 32 lb.

By "less stable", is your instructor referring to the fact that the DGX BP/W does not require an STA? If that is what the instructor means, simply get the DGX STA and use that with the BP/W instead of threading the cam bands directly through the BP and Wing. I use the DGX BP and Wing with an STA as I prefer that configuration vs. not using an STA. It works just fine.

If that isn't what the instructor means, then I'm not sure what they are talking about.

I am not sure what exactly your instructor referred to by "less stable", but it seems he meant the Single Tank Adapter (STA)? Some prefer it, others hate it. The wing needs some reinforcement lines (not sure how the exact term is called) in order to be able to use without STA.

I use a Halcyon BP w/eclipse wing, the STA actually places the tank further away from the body and I don't like it, prefer a wing that can be STAless. Especially if the screws are a little loose, I can feel the tank wobbling from side to side...

As to the weighting options, it is not directly related to any specific brand but rather on how much the whole gear (backplate, including STA, regulator, tank etc.) weigh, what type of suit you are use (wet? dry with undergarments?) then you plan weights and trimming location of pockets accordingly. There are some useful threads with some detailed excel spreadsheet for these things here at SB.

I do not have the DGX rig, but my experience with anything DGX was always good, so if I needed a new rig (or for one my sons/daughters) I'd probably try the one in your link.

[Edit] Oooof, you were already answered by the time I refreshed the page.

Hi everyone. I am taking GUE fundies next month and am looking to purchase my first BCD ahead of the course.

I was looking at this DGX BPW but my instructor has told me that in his experience it is less stable and Halcyon BCDs.

Halcyon BCDs are outside of my budget but I would like to do the drills in my own BCD if possible.

Is there really that big a difference between DGX and Halycon?

If I move forward with the DGX BCD, how much ditchable weight capacity should I buy on the DGX BCD? Looks like the options range between 8 lb and 32 lb.
I would suggest you put two of these pockets on the top cam band

and if you feel you need ditchable weight, one or two of these on the waist belt

I am not sure what exactly your instructor referred to by "less stable", but it seems he meant the Single Tank Adapter (STA)? Some prefer it, others hate it. The wing needs some reinforcement lines (not sure how the exact term is called) in order to be able to use without STA.

I use a Halcyon BP w/eclipse wing, the STA actually places the tank further away from the body and I don't like it, prefer a wing that can be STAless. Especially if the screws are a little loose, I can feel the tank wobbling from side to side...

As to the weighting options, it is not directly related to any specific brand but rather on how much the whole gear (backplate, including STA, regulator, tank etc.) weigh, what type of suit you are use (wet? dry with undergarments?) then you plan weights accordingly. There are some useful threads with some detailed excel spreadsheet for these things here at SB.

[Edit] Oooof, you were already answered by the time I refreshed the page.
I would like to be able to do cold water diving with this BCD as well whether that be 7mm or drysuit.

Do you think it would make sense to get a relatively low amount of integrated weight (8 lb/12lb) and use a weight vest/belt for any additional needed weight? Or just stomach the cost to get 20lb or 32lb capacity (the difference is only around $60)?

Wing shape/cut does impact the trim and stability of the diver. I've not used a DGX wing, but it does look quite slender compared to the Halcyon Eclipse wings. It's worth getting a little more information from the instructor to understand what they see as making the DGX rig less stable.

The reality is that GUE instructors see divers come in with a wide range of different backplate and wing makes. Over time they see which ones work well for students and which ones students tend to struggle with. You're paying the instructor for their knowledge and experience, and should be asking them these questions. They should be more than able to elaborate on not just what, but also why.

Are you taking Fundies in a single tank or doubles?

Functionally, the DGX backplate and Halcyon backplate aren't much different aside from fit and finish. The Halcyon plate would allow you to get a chinch system, but I wouldn't recommend that as I've found that it caused a lot more problems than it solved (uneven harness straps, straps getting loosened or tightened when I didn't want them to, etc).

I do prefer the Halcyon webbing over the plain black webbing sold by DGX as it makes it much easier to ensure that your shoulder straps are the same length and it makes it easier to adjust between different exposure protection. The webbing isn't much more expensive than the DG webbing. The hardware (d-rings, tri-glides, etc) are of similar quality, although I prefer the o-ring that Halcyon uses over the bungie that DGX uses to secure the inflator hose. They use a 330 o-ring that can be purchased inexpensively. I'd also suggest getting an o-ring to use on the left hip d-ring to make it stand up in place (thread with more info).

The DGX wing and Halcyon single tank wings are different shapes, and I have found that I like the shape of the Halcyon wing a bit more, but I'm sure either will work. If you don't want to use a single tank adapter, Halcyon does make a wing that will work without one. If you're interested in the Halcyon wing, you can usually find decent used prices here or other places online.

You shouldn't need a lot of dumpable weight, I'd suggest getting some trim-weight pockets that can be put on the cam bands so that you can tweak your weight distribution for optimal trim. Putting a lot of weight on your harness waist belt is likely going to cause trim issues.

I'd certainly talk with the instructor before buying a bunch of gear, but Halcyon equipment isn't a requirement to take fundies. It just needs to meet the requirements in the course standards.

I would like to be able to do cold water diving with this BCD as well whether that be 7mm or drysuit.

Do you think it would make sense to get a relatively low amount of integrated weight (8 lb/12lb) and use a weight vest/belt for any additional needed weight? Or just stomach the cost to get 20lb or 32lb capacity (the difference is only around $60)?
How much weight are you using now? What type of tanks do you plan to use? What type of backplate do you plan to buy (steel, aluminum, or carbon fiber)?

You might not need to buy an integrated weight system at all.

Have you looked for used Halcyon wings? They come up on this forum not infrequently and also on ebay. I have a DGX for single tank, and I'm very happy with it, but haven't compared to a comparable Halcyon. I have Halcyon for doubles, because I, too, was told they have the best geometry in the business. I have no basis of comparison, but I do know they have excellent service, so if something goes wrong with your used wing (as happened with mine), it's easy to get it repaired.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom