Can you make it to the meeting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think a few face-to-face meetings would be worthwhile as well. It is a hike for those outside the Beltway, especially in MD. And I can completely understand if we only see you all at the dive sites. But for first time members, a public area with no entry fee is certainly less intimidating than finding folks at the dive site.

Hopefully we can capture all the sentiments that Mike mentioned by formulating topics worthwhile to all level of divers. The first meeting relates to different kinds of gear which is always worthwhile for divers new and old. I know I would have liked additional exposure to diving systems and equipment when I started. Hopefully we can all chime in and de-mistify any equipment related issues.

I would also rather stay away from "vacation sharing" meetings as well. But I realize topics can be hard to come by.

We'll see how this goes. If it doesn't work, then we'll just go diving! Look forward to meeting / seeing everyone.

Ken

Many of which, I should add, mirror my own, and actually are 100% in phase with the goals of these meetings.

We're trying these meetings because O-Ring had tried the "meet at the quarry" approach, but the same people always showed up and in that scenario they preferred to dive rather than talk.

We *do* want to reach out to new divers, and promote the sport: but we've chosen to do this in a non-diving situation so no one is at a disadvantaged comfort level. Someone pointed out earlier that a new diver may feel too intimidated to approach a group of divers at the dive site. Additionally, like you, we've seen that there is a lot of hype promulgated by the dive industry, and maybe we can cut through some of it by meeting in a low pressure, half social / half diving atmosphere.

As an example, O-Ring and Divernva came to my rescue when I was about to purchase gear, and on a couple of occasions went out of their way (and were probably late for a dive) to help me out. I'd heard about BP/wings, they filled in blank spots for me, and I indirectly learned that there is to diving than the things my OW instructor taught me. For myself, I'd like to return the favor by helping out someone else, and it happens that we've chosen this method to do it.

Yes, it will be a hike for some folks, but _any_ activity at _any_ time in _any_ location is going to be difficult for someone, and we'll do our best to accommodate them in future meetings. And it won't wind up as a "pay your dues or you can't attend the annual weenie roast" organization because I share your loathing for that.

If, on the other hand, someone wants to bring their vacation photos along, who am I to stomp on their enthusiasm? I happen to love looking at underwater photos- there are a metric ton of them in the Underwater Photography forum, btw- and if someone says "I just went somewhere cool" my response will be "show me after the meeting" and "give me all the details because I want to go to cool places too." However, it won't be the topic of a meeting.

We're saying all the same things:
"The best thing that we can do to promote diving as a sport"... "reach out to these newly certified divers" ... "help them discover the local diving spots" ... "in an environment where no one is trying to sell them anything." ... "help them get to the dive site."

Those are topics for upcoming meetings. If this idea doesn't work, then we'll just stop doing it. If this idea works, then it means that we've met some new divers and introduced some dive buddies, and maybe pointed some people in the right direction when it comes to an informed equipment decision, and maybe got some on-the-fence divers to dive more often than they might have ordinarily.

No vitriol intended.

Rolf, MikeS, myself, and Dave D. met at the quarry today for some nice balmy dives in 59 degree water (below the second thermocline at 73'). MikeS brought some fabric samples with embroidered Mid Atlantic Bottom Feeders logos on them that his wife did (with her sewing machine that cost as much as a Helios light :) ). I will bring them to the meeting...they are absolutely amazing...looks like they were professionally done.

Thanks again, Mike!

I can't wait to see the logo's!!!

Hehe, in the back of my mind I have wondered about some nice Mid-Atlantic Bottom Feeders T-Shirts.... Ya know to show off on the Dive boats with :D

But what to put on the back? Top Ten uses for Zebra Mussels?

Back
Top Bottom