Can you monitor your tank pressure mentally?

Can you monitor your tank pressure mentally?

• 0-100 Dives - I can't need to check gauges

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • 0-100 Dives - I know MINE only

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • 0-100 Dives - I know MINE & my BUDDYS Pressure

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • 100+ Dives - I can't need to check gauges

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • 100+ Dives - I know MINE only

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • 100+ Dives - I know MINE & my BUDDYS Pressure

Votes: 31 36.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

3-Ring Octopus:
If it's a dive that person has made several times and doesn't have any new distractions...then I'd buy it. If it's a completely unfamiliar dive, with a new buddy, in a new locale, with some stressors thrown in....then I don't buy it.
This is where experience and knowing yourself comes into play.

I keep track of my air consumption under all conditions, and I make note of them in my log. Knowing what it is under different conditions is important for gas planning. Of course it won't be exactly the same every single time, but it's usually pretty close.

fairybasslet:
How would I know an instabuddy's SAC?
Compare starting psi. When you have breathed down 500-1000psi, compare pressure again. Just based upon those two points you should be able to know who is going to reach agreed upon turnpoint or ascent pressure first, and if he is going to be the limiting factor, what your psi will be at that point.

Try it a few times. It turns out that it is much easier than it sounds. It doesn't have to be much more than ..... OK, I've used 800 and he's used 1000. We ascend when he has used another 1000, so I'll be 800 less than now. If I get a full 1000 further down, I'll inquire as to his pressure, or swim by and do a "sneak peek" at his gauge.

SparticleBrane:
This is where experience and knowing yourself comes into play.

I keep track of my air consumption under all conditions, and I make note of them in my log. Knowing what it is under different conditions is important for gas planning. Of course it won't be exactly the same every single time, but it's usually pretty close.

My gas consumption at this stage in my diving can still vary considerably. For example we went diving this past Sunday at Catalina Island, CA.

We went out on a boat, so we dive where the captain decides to take us.

Our first dive was at a spot called Ship Rock - it was deep and the visibility was sucky and the current was strong - my SAC rate was ridiculous.

Our second and third dives were much better - my SAC rate was nearly 1/2 of the first dive rate.

I was getting pretty consistant with my SAC rates in a wetsuit but then I just switched to a drysuit and with the added weighting and getting used to the different buoyancy characteristics of the drysuit my SAC rate is now variable again.

But I am getting really comfy in my drysuit so hopefully my SAC rate should stabilize again.

fairybasslet:
What kind of sentence is "I can't need to check gauges."? What does this mean?
I decided that it was intended to mean "I haven't a clue without checking an SPG". Perhaps "I can't & need to check gauges." without the ampersand, for example, meaning "I cannot, and {I} need to check gauges." was the intention? :D

ClayJar:
I decided that it was intended to mean "I haven't a clue without checking an SPG". Perhaps "I can't & need to check gauges." without the ampersand, for example, meaning "I cannot, and {I} need to check gauges." was the intention? :D

You are correct.

The question was "Can you monitor your tank pressure mentally?"

Correction: "I can't mentally, I need to check my gauges"

I was trying to conserve space - didn't know I was being graded on grammar. :)

cadiver67:
You are correct.

The question was "Can you monitor your tank pressure mentally?"

Correction: "I can't mentally, I need to check my gauges"

I was trying to conserve space - didn't know I was being graded on grammar. :)

Have you ever shot someone with a knife? :D

You weren't graded on grammar, but you conserved the comprehension right out of that option. Hmm... unless...

Installer: Mr. Gates, your quad-mix capable auto-blending fill station is ready.

Bill: Oh, goodie! How do I use it.

Installer: Well, you just screw this doo-hickey right in that there valve, like this. <screwing the thingie in the whatchamacallit> Then you need to check these two gauges to be sure you're ready to fill...

Bill: <indignantly> I can't need to check gauges!

:D :D

cadiver67:
didn't know I was being graded on grammar. :)
Well...
Since you said I can't judge your buddy skills or air consumption because I've never seen you dive, that would imply that I can grade you on your words since I've seen them.
:D

cadiver67:
didn't know I was being graded on grammar. :)
You are not my student so therefore, I wasn't "grading" you. I just had absolutely no idea what the question meant because it wasn't a sentence. Instead of the interpretation of "I can't AND need to check..." (which, BTW, never crossed my mind as an interpretation) it could have just as easily been interpreted as "I don't need to check..." You could have mistyped "don't". How should I know which one is correct? If you want answers, it's up to you to provide the question so that people can understand it. For what it's worth, I make just as many typos as the next person. I never claimed to be perfect. Darn close though. :D

So I can do a darn good job of my so's air and my own always... but an insta buddy takes a bit more work, and even more fun is monitering up to eight ow students. Good times.
Check early, check often.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom