Can you suggest a pair of split fins for warm water diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given your parameters, my vote goes to the Atomic Full Foot Split Fins (the '06 model, not the '05). Not the least expensive option ($65 or so when discounted), but incredibly comfortable foot pockets (a major consideration in full foots) and they work like a dream if you get the right size.

Are you saying that you already own a pair of Jets?
Perhaps it's time to learn how to frog-kick! :wink:

Mate,

Just bought my second set of fins. I bought the atomic splits open heel. They are a fantastic set of fins. I did quite a lot of research before i bought them and i believe i made the right choice.

I had it down to the atomics or the tusa zooms. I spend quite a lot of time snorkelling and i found that the angle of the zooms isn't to good for surface swimming.

I agree with some of the other comments in that you shouldn't limit yourself to splits. There are some great fins out there. My previous fins are paddle fins and i love them.

I also agree with crazy scuba in that some of the full foot splits aren't designed for scuba. It depends on your body size and leg strength as well.

In then end, read the opinions of other members to this site, and organise with a dive shop to test a few of the fins. Try to borrow off a mate. The more you can try, the better idea you will have. Fins are an individual thing. It differs from person to person. Enjoy.

Torontonian:
Bigsage, I have scubapro jets. I like to try split because of a lot of reviews that they take less effort to kick. Last year while doing AOW classes, my instructor wore (pink) split fins and I couldn't catch up with him when he want to go.

I have to admit that I chuckle when I read comments like this....what is the hurry when diving?? I have Jets because I want a fin that would help me dive with more precision. Being able to do a variety of kicks was far more important than speed, though I have to say the short, broad paddles on the Jets sure can move me through water when needed.

I'm beginning to really think that it's important to match kicking styles with fin types to decide which is best. As a former competitive swimmer, I kick with my whole leg, from the hip. The power coming from my thighs, glutes, and abs, not much from the calves. This type of kick doesn't work with splits and they wind up hitting eachother and feel very floppy on the ends of my legs. I'm also very comfortable doing a frog kick or modified frog kick to conserve energy and for more precision.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is an average swimmer who kicks from the knees, with most of the power coming from her calves and thighs. She's prone to leg cramps and finds that the split fins help prevent those. She cannot get power from a paddle fin due to her kicking style and the splits fit the bill. She also can't really do an efficient or comfortable frog kick, thus prefers a flutter kick.

The bottom line for me is that everyone should try a variety of fins in the water and decide which one is best for them. Which one matches your kicking style, which one is comfortable, and which one will enhance YOUR diving the most.

DiveMaven:
I have to admit that I chuckle when I read comments like this....what is the hurry when diving?? I have Jets because I want a fin that would help me dive with more precision. Being able to do a variety of kicks was far more important than speed, though I have to say the short, broad paddles on the Jets sure can move me through water when needed.
At that time, the AOW instructor did say after we cover the instruction portion, he wanted to bring me to a second wreck that if we hurry, we should have time to get to and come back in time. Well, I couldn't keep up, and we didn't make it to that wreck.

DiveMaven:
I'm beginning to really think that it's important to match kicking styles with fin types to decide which is best. As a former competitive swimmer, I kick with my whole leg, from the hip. The power coming from my thighs, glutes, and abs, not much from the calves. This type of kick doesn't work with splits and they wind up hitting eachother and feel very floppy on the ends of my legs. I'm also very comfortable doing a frog kick or modified frog kick to conserve energy and for more precision.

On the other hand, I have a friend who is an average swimmer who kicks from the knees, with most of the power coming from her calves and thighs. She's prone to leg cramps and finds that the split fins help prevent those. She cannot get power from a paddle fin due to her kicking style and the splits fit the bill. She also can't really do an efficient or comfortable frog kick, thus prefers a flutter kick.

The bottom line for me is that everyone should try a variety of fins in the water and decide which one is best for them. Which one matches your kicking style, which one is comfortable, and which one will enhance YOUR diving the most.
I'm not a good swimmer. In fact the toughest part of my very first scuba lesson was passing the swim test. One guy with us said his wife is a good swimmer and was in the state championship, but she doesn't want (dare) to try scuba. At another outing, one girl (who her husband said is an excellent swimmer) got in the water and got water into her nose, got scared, and decided against scuba. So I feel fortunate that as not very good swimmer I learned to scuba and am enjoying it whenever I can on warm water vacations.

So I'm probably like the friend you described. But when you say she is an average swimmer, I'm probably worse than that. I also cannot do frog kick well. So while I can move easily in the short scubapro jets, I couldn't get a lot of power from it.

If it makes any difference, I'm 5'9", 180lbs, slender build. Most people are surprised tht I weigh 180lbs because I have narrow shoulder. But I play badminton and softball, so do have muscle rather than fat (and a slight belly that my wife points to:D ).

Thanks for all the suggestions. In Toronto, there are not many dive shops around. The one that is close to my work locations, says sometimes they go to Lake Ontario, requires AOW, goes to 60'. Even in mid-summer, it gets cold at 30' down. Need to wear 6mm inside and 6mm outside, 30lb of weight. It's murky/muddy, dark, nothing grows, very little fish. Anyway, I can't really borrow and try out different fins locally. So your comments are all very helpful.

Torontonian:
I'm looking to buy a pair of split fins, for warm water diving.

Most open heel split fins are quite expensive. The cheapest looks to be Aeris Velocity Duo at $70. How is this compared to others that are often two times the price. Is there a real difference or just name?

Also there's a big difference between open heel and closed. For example the Tusa X-pert zoom open heel is $129 (some said they can be had on sale for $99), but the closed heel is selling at $35 (Leisurepro). The open heel is almost 4 times the price of closed heel?!? Another one is Scubapro twin speed, the open heel is $100 while closed heel is $40. Big price difference.

I'm a warm water vacation diver. In July will dive near Myrtle Beach, then in Aug. will dive the cruise stops at Cayman, Cozumel, Belize and Costa Maya. Will probably do similar dives in the future. Thanks a lot.

If you need to walk around before and after diving/snokeling, a pair of open heels would be more convenient. Full foot/closed heel are not necessarily less efficent, if you look at the Scuba Diving magazine review, you would realize that some full foot fins would even be a bit more efficient than the open heel, for the same model. Just if you prefer to use full foot, you need a pair of neoprene socks. It's less convenient if you need to walk around with the socks on your feet only. For open heel, a pair of scuba boots is needed.

X-pert is better for diving than snokeling, for the fin is designed with a tilted angle towards the back (many other split fins are not designed to have this angle), so that when you do a front kick, the water being pushed would have pointed less towards the front which is good; however, the angle titled towards the back also means that, if you are snokeling at the surface of water, sometimes the fins would get out from the water surface, which is not preferrable. So, the fins are better for diving.

For your ref:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=141558
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=145474

CrazyScuba:
In a scuba diving situation, such as an emergency or surf zone, trying to catch your buddy, in currents, etc. the snorkeling fin would be like trying to ride a 10 speed bike in first gear (it's easy to do, but you just don't go anywhere fast). It's going to take a lot more work and a lot more time to get anywhere. There is a big difference in performance, and safety-wise, we wouldn't have anyone on a dive boat with snorkeling fins, especially in places like Cozumel where current is a normal issue.

That doesn't make any sense. Almost all of the DMs in Cozumel wear full foot fins and even swim against the current to find stragglers or rescue divers.

After surfacing from a dive and before climbing the ladder back into the boat you gotta take your fins off. So IMO it's easier to undo one snap per fin rather that try to pull off a full foot fin, especially in somewhat choppy conditions. You'll like the extra stiffness of a booty on your foot with all that gear on your back while climbing the ladder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom