Can your jacket do this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The wing is taco-ing severely. The wing is either way too big, or he is over weighted about about half the lift capacity of the wing.
It's a 30# wing and he is over weighted about 5-7#. Tacoing is a good thing where I come from.

It's a 30# wing and he is over weighted about 5-7#. Tacoing is a good thing where I come from.
images

Hello Halemano,

Are you saying that a BP/W is no better then BCD? I dive still with my first BCD, almost 1000 dives now and am satisfied with it. But often I hear from my diving friends that's it's time to buy a wing. That it dives so much better.

Depending on the person, there can be strong loyalty to one style, even one brand, and specifically one model; there are pros and cons to every BC.

If you are happy with diving the BC you are currently diving, you will likely be similarly happy with a similar new BC. The only way to really know if you like to dive in xxxx gear better is to dive in xxxx gear. I got a "newer" back inflate, really cheap, and it elegantly held the slate my employer required, so I dived it for work. It now needs repair to be useable, but for me the "old" vest really dives better anyway, so I have carried the slate un-elegantly, in the vest pocket, and not worried about repairing the back inflate for nearly a year.

I am able to smile due to the fact that "really cheap" is in that last sentence. :D

I keep watching eBay for a replacement for my vest, preferably M/L blue SeaQuest Spectrum 2 ADV. :idk:

Last edited:
It's what the diver does with the BC and not with the BC does for the diver. The BC is a tool, no more no less.

Agreed. My trim and buoyancy was absolutely no better in a poodle jacket than it is today in my wing. The wing is/may be more practical in some types of diving but what was shown in the video absolutely could be done with a poodle jacket......and is done every day.

Haleamano, are you listening?

Dave, don't get involved in a crusade. The right tool for the job may be a bp/w and it might not.

You're better than this. You're a conscientious and highly proficient instructor. Work (and post) from your strengths, not from other people's weaknesses.

R..

Hello Halemano,

Are you saying that a BP/W is no better then BCD? I dive still with my first BCD, almost 1000 dives now and am satisfied with it. But often I hear from my diving friends that's it's time to buy a wing. That it dives so much better.

What your friends are saying is a crock of sh-it.

Divers who understand how to dive could dive in a vest, in a bp/w (I own both and look good in both), using old milk jugs and a spare air to compensate for negative buoyancy and even by discovering that pushing off the bottom with the snorkel in order to avoid looking like a crab in tights, is the best use for this device.

a bcd is a bcd is a bcd.

WHAT is not nearly as important as HOW. Dave knows this, which makes me think that he'll come around once someone reminds him.

R..

Haleamano, are you listening?

Dave, don't get involved in a crusade. The right tool for the job may be a bp/w and it might not.

You're better than this. You're a conscientious and highly proficient instructor. Work (and post) from your strengths, not from other people's weaknesses.

R..

Evidently, even among the fairly level headed "Staff" logical realism is a crusade based on personal weakness. :confused:

halemanō;6065515:
With regards to BC's, my oft stated opinions are that:

the vast majority of World Wide dives are successfully completed in vest BC's

there is no test data on "drag" differences between modern BC's

there is no test data on "ease of venting" differences between modern BC's

Other than that I have also typed about my BC experiences and hypothesized on the drag and venting issues.

Back
Top Bottom