Canadian Boat Dive Regulation; Flag Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Canadian authorities can occasoinally become spastic about two old bits of broken wood on the bottom because someone wasn't sure what it was and decided to err on the side of caution in case it was the archaeological discovery of the century.

... or they could say, "whatever".

In the Great Lakes, the authorities will NEVER say "whatever". Since our wrecks tend to last for a really long time, we kinda like protecting them. You are best to assume that anything old you are diving on is considered a heritage site and you shouldn't even think about fetching anything on it. The penalties are harsh... fines, confiscation of gear (including your boat!) and criminal charges...

Regarding the flag situation, for all practical purposes, the diver down flag is all you need up in the North Channel. The only time I fly the Alpha flag (as well) is when I am anywhere near shipping lanes. You should however be aware, that the red and white flag carries no legal weight (except in some areas like Fathom Five National Marine Park). It's really a courtesy thing.

The Alpha flag does carry legal clout, but most recreational boaters won't know what it is. The big guys do though!

I hope you're planning a few dives on the Northwind... She's the jewel in those parts!

Late to the party, but in BC "most" boaters in the ocean will know what the red and white diagonal means as divers are relatively common here. By most I mean slightly more than half - however a very large number will have no idea and if you are lake diving make that almost nobody will know. Almost nobody will know the alpha flag. Not terribly relevant to Ontario, but thought I would confirm Diver0001's views of BC boaters.

I am not a trophy hunter, but yes, we do intend to dive the Northwind. Fortunately for us, its only 15 miles/24.1 Km as the crow flies from my family's island. This has been a great thread and I really appreciate all the feed back. We won't be doing any deep wreck penetration, just flying around and through the hold. I should think the water won't be much warmer the 40F/4.4C. I filled my argon bottle yesterday! I am really looking forward to the dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom