Canaries or Balearics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bc1954

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Be in Spain in May of 16 can't decide whether to go to the Canaries for a week or the Balearics for a week. I am hoping what I find out here may help me make the decision. So any input would be great. I don't plan on diving every day but would like to do half a dozen dives sit on the beach and generally travel around a bit enjoy some good food and drinks. Thanks in advance.

Okay, just from the weather perspective: Average high temperatures for the day will be around 23 to 24 degrees Celsius on Mallorca or on Gran Canaria. But the chance of rain will be much higher at Mallorca with about 8 days of rain compared to one day of rain at Gran Canaria. Water temperatures will be about the same by that time of the year - 19 to 20 degrees Celsius for both locations.

Mallorca is more diving from the boat than diving from shores. On the Canaries it will be more shore diving. Of course you can dive from the boat as well. Personally, I find no join in diving in the Mediterranean. Almost no fish, no great vegetation, a bit boring from time to time. Chances to see something interesting might be better at the Canaries.

I like both islands. You can drive around on both islands (and on Tenerife and Lanzarote or Ibiza and Menorca) without any safety issues. Hotels, food and entertainment is great in all those places.

My advice: Canaries. And then the Balearics next time :)

Okay, just from the weather perspective: Average high temperatures for the day will be around 23 to 24 degrees Celsius on Mallorca or on Gran Canaria. But the chance of rain will be much higher at Mallorca with about 8 days of rain compared to one day of rain at Gran Canaria. Water temperatures will be about the same by that time of the year - 19 to 20 degrees Celsius for both locations.

Mallorca is more diving from the boat than diving from shores. On the Canaries it will be more shore diving. Of course you can dive from the boat as well. Personally, I find no join in diving in the Mediterranean. Almost no fish, no great vegetation, a bit boring from time to time. Chances to see something interesting might be better at the Canaries.

I like both islands. You can drive around on both islands (and on Tenerife and Lanzarote or Ibiza and Menorca) without any safety issues. Hotels, food and entertainment is great in all those places.

My advice: Canaries. And then the Balearics next time :)
Thanks for the info, but it looks like we are going to Menorca, any suggestions. Be there from May 14 to May 21. Not much said about Menorca except the north coast may be the best in the marine reserve. Worth it or not, don't really want to drag the diving gear around if its not that great. Thanks for your input

Been there first week of September 2014, most of the week affected by northerly winds, so all the good dive spots were precluded. Good underwater landscapes, seen many nudibranches. As said above, Mediterranean can be a bit disappointing in terms of fishes.

May can be tricky, probably not cold above the water line, but surely below. Anyhow, if you come from Canada, you won't even notice! :D

Enjoy! Lobster stew highly recommended!

It just snowed in the Canaries :rain: OMG

I can see they have a yellow alert on the peninsula, and expect snow above 700 m there, but not a word about Canaries, except strong winds. Anyhow, the Teide is third highest volcano in Europe (if you can call the Canaries Europe...), and the highest spanish mountain, it's almost 4000 m, so it does make sense!

I just caught the tail end of a weather report about the Canaries having to complete shoveling out and the snow was either a first or extremely rare. Unfortunately though I listened off and on throughout the next couple of days, I heard no more about it.

canaries have far more fish than the med. the med, she is dead!
look for angel sharks, loads of rays, much larger schools of fish. i had a guide amazed when we pointed out 3 barracuda in malta.

I would reccomend the Balearics over the Canaries just because of the coastlines. The natural landscapes, energy and beaches are spectacular. I've been both places but the Canaries do have better wildlife. Regardless, the best way to see these places is by charting a sailboat. I was able to reach really nice dive spots and be accommodated at the same time. I sailed with intersailclub in ibiza/formentera, mallorca and menorca before and I think they also have itineraries in the Canaries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom