Cancun airport to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha once bubbled...
Aero Mexico is the air shuttle I have taken from Cancun to Cozumel.
I didn't have any problems.

Hi, Natasha!

Well, let me know the next time you pick a lottery number: I want part of your luck!

Aero Mexico and Aero Caribe actually share facilities and will switch passengers to fill an airplane. I spent many an hour in the Cancun A/P waiting for them to fill a plane. Then I finally got smart and began flying directly to Coz.

However, this is not the choice here. Based on all the horror stories that I have heard about baggage charges and my own--now dated--experience with flight delays, I still suggest--strongly--TAKE THE FERRY!

Scorpionfish

I guess I was lucky and didn't even know it. I have sent several divers from Chicago to Cancun, and Cancun to Cozumel without any of them having the story you are stating. Although I agree, a non stop is always the best!
Maybe I should buy a lotto ticket,eh?
I kinda favor the 2,3 3,2 numbers of my kids birthdays. How about you?

The flight from Cancun to Cozumel is $75-$100 EACH WAY so it is not cheap. However, a bus ride to Playa and then a ferry across is much cheaper.

There are a couple of twists on how to get there -
The flight is a problem - hard to get seats, doesn't leave when it says it will, and overweight charges - all true.

One big advantage of taking the flight (especially if you arrived in the Charter terminal in Cancun) is that you get to jump the Customs line up. My family spent 2 1/2 hours standing in line just to get through customs. What an infuriating way to start a holiday.

But, I found later, that some people went through the "shortcut" line said to be just for Mexican residents, and AeroCozumel passengers - without a ticket on AeroCozumel. Next time, I will try that.

Then, get yourself to the Playa del Carmen Ferry terminal. There are lots of ways - all about the same price. I have taken a booked "limo" - Suburban - for about $70, for 6 people - or you can just take a taxi - but bargain the price first. Don't ask how much after you get there. Should be about $30-35 for a small taxi seating 4 people. The bus is even cheaper, and not much slower. Driving time is about 40 minutes or so.

None of these will take you right to the boat - you have to walk a bit - but not too far. Cars and taxis will usually drop you off on the south side at a hotel turnaround - maybe a 3 minute walk - the bus station is just kitty-corner across the Zocalo or city square - maybe 4 minutes walk. The ferry is $8 each way, and takes 40 minutes. They will check your large bags for you and put them on the boat. You can buy drinks or even a cheap t-shirt on the boat. Then, a cab to your hotel. The further ones away are in the Iberostar area - they might charge you more, but the actual fare for 2 people is 150 pesos - $15. Rental cars are unusually expensive on Cozumel.

It takes around 4 hours all told - depending on customs, and the timing of the ferry. It runs every hour, or every second hour, depending - check the schedule on the web.

Have fun.
John

Natasha let me know next time you are flying into Cancun to Cozumel, I want to tag along. All of my experiences in the last year (twice) were much like those stated already.

We did the go in through the local, gate as a group travelling together. One of the divers in our group is from Venezuala and he spoke to the customs agents in spanish gave them a tip and through the check in all 27 of us went. There were alot of angry tourists waiting in the cattle line to get through. I wouldn't try it unless you have a translator to assist like we did.

I will be entering Cozumel via cruise ship in February, don't expect to deal with the airport this time. Actually, in the future I will either fly direct or take the ferry if I have to. Personally I have not had good experiences in the Cancun airport with them trying to take my regulator away last February. I ended up checking it through which I detested, when I know from this board lots of people carry theirs in their carry on. I did on my second trip with no problems checking in. But they did charge me for two bags both ways on my last trip, not the weight. Some in my group did not have to pay for two bags on the way back, actually I was the only one that did. Just my luck, I am going to dress in my worst jeans and T shirt, not even costume jewlery next time.

Actually, it all lends to the fun of travel. Gives us something to remember. Have fun and lets go diving.

Good points - those of us from Canada or US keep forgetting that tips can be used in a lot of places we wouldn't think of at home - the customs official is paid very poorly, and a few $$ can be given "to insure prompt service" almost anywhere.

But, I think your point about flying direct is a very good one. The Cozumel airport does take direct flights from a number of US gateways - next time I would rather spend time changing flights say in Denver, and just land in Cozumel directly.

Then, if I felt like a trip to Playa del Carmen, I would go there by ferry - we have always liked it as a town on previous visits - especially off the tourist shop area. Good day trip if your ears are plugged up and you can't dive.

Kicking alive a very old thread;

Current information on transportation from CUN to Cozumel? Do's? Don'ts? Scams to avoid?

TIA.

Tipsy

Take the bus!
My wife and I tavelled a fair bit in Mexico and always used the buses, cheap and reasonably comfortable.
There is a shuttle bus from Cancun Airport to Playa and the ferry to Cozumel is not far from the bus station.
Really easy if you speak a bit of Spanish otherwise avoid the taxi hustlers!

We booked through "Best Day Travel" for a driver to take us from Cancun to the dock. Their prices are listed on-line. We have used them for two years now. This was in April and we have booked them again for June. They meet you at the door and the driver has a plackard with your name on it. As we usually come in with a group we do the "VIP" service. It has normally run about $100.00USD for the group and a van fully of gear.

Forgot to add that this is usually a round trip booking.

Kicking alive a very old thread;

Current information on transportation from CUN to Cozumel? Do's? Don'ts? Scams to avoid?

TIA.

Tipsy
I wondered? Some of the info above is severely out of date, but I didn't notice the dates until I noticed some of the Avatars of members who don't post here anymore.

Depending on why you will arrive in Cancun, the bus & ferry is easy and cheapest. DO NOT BUY A ROUND TRIP FERRY TICKET! There are two ferries and you never know which will leave next until you arrive, so you'd hate to be holding a return ticket on one that leave later than the one boarding next.

The new air shuttle is much more dependable than the one operating when this thread was opened. I have never used it, but some have and have posted about it on the Coz forum. Some take a van or taxi from CUN to PDC. You can save some time with these more expensive approaches, but not enough for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom