Cancun - Maya Riviera, raining everyday - what does that mean to diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rainy season starts lat spring and goes till late fall. Everyday for the past 8 years I have lived here, during this season the forcast is always the same: 33 C and Thundershowers. However, the reality is this on AVERAGE I see rain 1 out of 3 days and when it does rain, typically it is a 20 minute down pour. Some days it will rain all day, but this is highly unusual. Some days it will rain 5 days in a row and then we won't have rain for 5 days. To sum it up, the forcast isn't as bad as it seems and during this time of the year the winds are relatively calm.

But then, what does it matter cause you can dive the cenotes rain or shine!!

Have a great trip,

Dennis

My friends let me tell you that rain is not a problem...we been having a bit of rain almost everyday but it only rains for like 40 min o 1hr max then the day turns very nice plus when you dive in rainy weather is very cool exellent to see the marine life acting in diferent way also when it rains the water is very calm as a swimming pool...hope this help to you my friend and if you don't have a dive operator yet you can stop by at the shop and we'll be very happy to help you...we are located on 1a AV norte con calle 14 or visit our web page Buceo en Playa del Carmen - Phantom Divers

Regards from playa

Hi Cody,
That was a crazy one wasn't it?
Have you been diving since that trip?
Headed back to CZM in a week and a half. Yay!

As to the rain chances, that's what you get for going to the tropics during huricane season!
The majority of the days are partly cloudy with possible (not necessarily likely) afternoon showers. Bring an umbrella if you are pessimistic.
That day with Cmaustin was one of two days where the second dive was blown out - out of several hundred dive days there for me.

Yes that was quite the dive. The currents got ripping right from the start. I have been a couple of times since but I am heading down to the playa side on Saturday and doing some Cenote/reff dives but I will be heading over to cozumel for a day with Aldora on the 23rd.

Good deal! I'm diving that day, too. See you at Mr. Sancho's? Are you regular schedule or late departure?

I was down in Playa a few years ago and the forecast showed a chance of thunder showers daily. We saw a couple of pretty good rains but it had almost no effect on our diving. As I recall it rained on us 3 of the days we were there but they were short lived showers and it cleared up quickly.

One thing I found quite funny was when it started to rain after our second dive evereyone scrambled under cover on the boat to keep from getting rained on :)

I still chuckle at the people rushing to doff their gear so they could get out of the rain....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom