Canister light batteries?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hardhat

Reaction score
Hi all, and happy new year,
It's time for me to replace my light's batteries and was wondering if there are any kick *** types of batteries out there, that you guys know of, that I should be looking at. I'm currently using six Hawker Energy 'Cyclon' X cells, Sealed-lead rechargeable batteries, 2 volts, 5.0 AH, put together into a pack that drops into the canister. When they are fully charged and new I was getting six to eight hours of burn time with a 10 watt HID head, or around an hour and a quarter of burn time with a 50 watt haligen head ( the 50 watt head is the one that I like the most, it's like having the sun in our hand on any given dive). Any way if any-one has any suggestions I would appriciate the input.

Thanks

I think in terms of power NiMH are deffinitly the way to go. You can get the same amount of power out of them as your lead-acids at a much lower battery volume. So you could have a smaller canister or longer burn time. They are also more tolerable of misstreatment like deep cycles and over-charging I believe don't quote me on that one. But they do cost a bit more then others out there. I think most of not all new canister lights available use Nickle Metal Hydride.

Now that i'm starting my second year of procrastination on my DIY light i'm wondering about L-Ion vs NiMH. Hopefully the resident battery gurus will weigh in...

I was able to upgrade to a 16 volt NiMH with a 50W 6400K H light head. Works great and has never let me down.

I think the new trand is L-ion battery.. There is a moot question about an explosion, but it is fairly enough to be reviewed already. And, you can reduce the size of canister dramatically.

www.batteryspace.com is a good place to start... They know about a dive light stuff.

Lithium Ion batteries are still very expensive.
I think it will be quite some time before their price is more reasonable.

I'm still using NiMH in my light. (10 c cells) 4500 mAh)
NiMH has less memory effect than NiCad cells, but it's self discharge rate is much faster.
So I have to remember to change the light night before diving.

Sealed lead acid batteries are storage cells so they have very little loss of change over time.
Their biggest draw back is relative density, and voltage drop while discharging.

If you're using Lead acid for HID application you might want to look at a voltage regulator circuit to deliver a relatively flat 12 volt supply.
Some of the HID ballasts have a narrow range they operate in without damage.

Mike D

I second the NiMH- you might be able to walk into a store like Batteries Plus and have them make you a replacement battery pack. You'll have to spec out the voltage and amp hours that you want. Don't forget the charger. I'm not sure what the Canadian equivalent would be, but you could just make a run for the border. :wink:

I am not a battery expert nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I have one comment/suggestion. While it is still under investigation, my company lost an aircraft and almost lost a flight crew due to the shippment of LiIon batteries (at least at this time that is the leading indicator). If you ship batteries of any type....PLEASE PLEASE ensure that they are properly packed, labeled etc. The crew on the airplane that burned up had less than 5 minutes from the first fire indication to going out the doors and windows on the ground. Experts in smoke and fire on aircraft said that the crew would have not been able to get it on the ground and clear if it had taken another 30 seconds. It was that bad. I just landed from a nine hour flight over the North Pacific with the closest airport over an hour away and in most cases over three hours away. On my airplane in the same situation...we would be at the bottom of the Pacific.
Just be careful...my family would appreciate it greatly.

I use 10000ma NiMH D-cell batteries.. get just shy of 3hrs burn time with a 50w halogen bulb. I have pictures posted in a number of other threads on this canister light topic

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom