Canon A70

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

remco

Reaction score
Hi there ! Greetings from The Netherlands

Today I found this discussion board - very usefull !
Now my question:

I recently bought a underwater case for my Canon A70 digital camera. Never tried it underwater so far. The build-in flash light is most likely not strong enough for taking good photo's. Wondering if anyone could recommend me what kind of additional light I should use.

All tips concerning the use of this camera underwater are most welcome as I'm an absolute beginner.
Thanks !!

Remco:teach:

Remco
By no way do I take the quality of pics as some do here, but the best advice I've found is go dive, experiment and have fun! Here's what we just took today with our Cannon A60 w built-in flash.

Welcome to Scuba Board!

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at just how powerful the internal flash on your camera really is. Tnk's Octo photo below is just one example.

One of the first things I always suggest to new digital users is to use the camera without an external flash for a few dives, 6-12 at least. This give you the chance to get familiar with the camera underwater, with gloves if you wear them, see what the camera will do by itself and with the flash. One of the great things about digital is you don't have to have an external strobe right away to get good pictures.

I have just bought a Canon A70 with underwater housing - looking at the pic taken with an A60, looks like i should be in for some good quality pics!!

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a Canon Powershot A70 and the Waterproof Case WP-DC 700.

From the replies in this thread, I presume those with the camera has only positive feedbacks about it and it's waterproof casing. Has anyone got any other comments on the camera?

Thanks.

Any more thoughts on a possible Strobe for the A70 and associated housing?

I found this INON strobe that should work - but I'm not too sure about purchasing a strobe that is TWICE the cost of the case and camera combined!

http://www.seaoptic.com/products/stb/inond180-d180s.html

I noticed some folks were using a A60 and 40 with a Sea and Sea strobe, is there anybody who's tried it with a A70 and had results - either good or bad? Thanks!

How safe is the Underwater case?
I am thinking of buying the A70 digital camera and I think it's an excellent idea to buy the accompanying case.

How confident shuld I be that it's in working order?is it difficult to use?

... I posted an earlier thread on this.

Went to Palau with mine and dived the wrecks there.

Had a great time and got some good picks but experienced some strange problems. The batteries appeared to drain really quickly when using cheap local replacements.

The camera essentially gave the impression its was overheating and so would work less on dive 2 and 3 even with a new set of batteries. I wasn't sure whether this was due to moisture or what really as the symptoms were very strange

After allowing to dry out for a day it appeared to behave better.

Will post the pics one day when I get around to it !!

Appreciate anyone who has had experience with it in an intensive trip such as multi day multi dives.

Subsequent to this I took it on a standard leisure dive weekend and it behaved itself and I even ran up 20 minutes of movie out of the casing.

The thing I really like about it is it is small and fits neatly in my jacket pocket !!

If you can afford it get the Maha 2200mAH batteries with a charger:
http://www.nimhbattery.com/

I'm not sure how long they'll last as I've never tried it out. I have 8 batteries and try to switch them at the midpoint of the day so I don't run out, and then charge them at night. I'm guessing I can probably get 1-200 pictures on one set of batteries. Looking at a different online forum they were claiming 180-200. One person claimed they got 350 pictures with 750mAH batteries in 1 hour mostly with flash.
I think the a70 is a great camera if you are just doing above and below water recreatational shooting. I'm still just using full auto mode, once I figure out out to use the other stuff I might go to a better camera if I can afford it.
If someone tells me how to batch compress a bunch of pictures (already jpgs) with a free program, I'll post them.
I'm also curious as to why it seemed like I get the best pictures at night.

Back
Top Bottom