Canon D40 Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there,
I dont think your going about this the right way...you have to choose a housing for what you want to do with your photography and same with strobes. You cant just say what strobes go best with a 40d...its what strobes will work best for photographing macro marine life. I first suggest taking a photography class and reading up on your new 40d if you dont know how to use it on land, it wont help much underwater. Lens wise you stated you want to shoot macro...I mostly shoot wide angle and use a tokina 12-24mm lens on my 40d. I dont shoot much macro but for wide angle thats a good lens or the canon 10-22. Housings Aquatica and Subal are expensive but have good rep's. Ikilite is fine but its annoying to use all their knobs. Strobes depend on you, and what size strobe depends on you as well. Look at Inon they diffuse well for close up stuff. I use sea&sea now and have had no issues with them, but will probably swich to Inon in the near future.

Good luck, keep shooting, looking forward to seeing some of your photos!

Thanks Again for all the sound advice. I really appreciate it. You guys are awesome.

PriusDrIVER- I do live near Vancouver BC and did a day trip to Sechelt yesterday for a couple of dives at Tuwanek (right Islet). Viz was 75-80 feet, saw a couple of wolf eels and a bunch of other stuff (pics attached). Attached photos, assuming I did it correctly, were taken with my old Canon 3MP S40 in a Canon underwater housing with an attached UK Light Canon.
Tuwanek is a very nice dive site, easy access.

DHass- I will email you.

Happy New Year to all and again, I really appreciate all the advice.

Are there any good Underwater Digital Photography books out there that could help with my learning curve?

Cheers,
John

Attachments

• Wolf Eel 2nd wb.jpg
    Wolf Eel 2nd wb.jpg
    168.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Hooded Nudibranch wb.jpg
    Hooded Nudibranch wb.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Giant Plumose Closed wb.jpg
    Giant Plumose Closed wb.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Rainbow Dendronotid Swim 2 wb.jpg
    Rainbow Dendronotid Swim 2 wb.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Rainbow Dendronotid wb.jpg
    Rainbow Dendronotid wb.jpg
    277.3 KB · Views: 18
Check the Sticky at the top of the forum (you can follow the Pink Link in my sig) - it's not all about compacts!

Scroll down a bit and you'll find a link to some excellent books as well as some others listed in the Sticky itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom