Canon EOS 5D Mark II Master Thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Moon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The initial pre-release reports about Canon’s new 5D MarkII set expectations that this will be an outstanding body for underwater shooters that seek to capture the best stills as well as have the ability to capture 1080P HD video when those special moments arise.

Vincent Laforet, winner of the Pulitzer Prize and one of Canon’s Explorer of Light shooters, released an amazing video shot with the first pre-released EOS 5DMII that arrived from Japan to Canon USA. Click to see the Reverie video.

The video shows outstanding potential. He claims that it is the best low light camera he has ever shot with. Available at $2,700 USD, I'm looking forward to seeing what impact this body has on underwater photography.

Blue Moon

Does the HD video on the 5D suffer from the same skew ("jelly movement") when you pan rapidly, like the Nikon D90?

John - from the first video, as above, it doesn't look like it. This video capture looks SLICK!

The video linked has nothing done to it except putting it together and it runs pretty darned smoothly in each scene.

What thrills me even more, though I won't be moving to this camera body, is it's amazing low light capabilities. Just sweet.

I can't wait to see what Canon releases as the new X0D series (the 50D was just released, but I'm betting we don't have to wait 18 months for a new one in this range).

Some (brief) initial testing by the guys at Luminous Landscape indicated that the jelly movement is much better than teh D90.

... I guess I have a few months to decide between a new 50D and 5D Mrk. II. Either way I think Ikelite will be getting some of my money...

Though "Reverie" appears to still be looking for a home that can handle its size and demand, smugmug has a The Making of Reverie -- a short that has many clips from the movie in it.

Like the 20D met my "adoption" level for my leap from film to digital, the 5D MkII meets my adoption level for a full-sensor SLR. Now just to get it in the budget...

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom