Canon EOS Digital Rebel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ruu once bubbled...
OK,

This one has been bugging me for a while now - you'll have to excuse my ignorance if this really is a stupid question.. As I understand it, an SLR camera is so called because of the single lens reflex, which (in my mind) means that when you look through the viewfinder, you see what the optics see, rather than what (on a non-SLR camera) the viewfinder sees. All well and good?

Underwater I cannot legitimately look through a viewfinder - on my Olympus Digital I look at the screen to take pictures, which is what the camera "sees". So what is the advantage of a digital SLR underwater? I understand that an SLR camera is going to be aimed more towards enthusiastic amateurs and professionals, thus having better optics and therefore generally capable of taking better pictures, but what specifically does an SLR camera offer me underwater?

Dave, who cannot possibly afford another camera anytime soon anyway, and therefore has no real need to ask this question.

One advantage is that if you already have a SLR film camera, and the assortment of frightfully expensive lenses that go with it, you can use them with your new digital SLR.

Peace,
Cathie

lal7176 once bubbled...
My wife has that camera and man does it take nice pictures. She had a kodak 4.0 before this but she wanted something she could interchange the lens on to take pictures far away. She currently has the stock lens and a lens that goes up to 300mm. It has really nice zoom qualites with the 300 lens and she is now saving up for the adjustable 600mm lens for farther away shots.

I checked into a housing for it but she told me it aint hapening :D There is no way she is about to let me take her pride and joy underwater.

Here are a few distance shots she took with it this past weekend.

lal7176

would the lens you are talking about for your wife is the canon 75-300 IS F 4-5.6 ? that she is using , not a bad general lense,

as for the 600 whose lense are you talking about because those arent cheap the canon 600mm prime is almost 7 grand and i dont think anybody makes a consumer level lense in a zoom with that range

BTW, those pics are pretty good.

scubatooth

Scubatooth once bubbled...

lal7176

would the lens you are talking about for your wife is the canon 75-300 IS F 4-5.6 ? that she is using , not a bad general lense,

as for the 600 whose lense are you talking about because those arent cheap the canon 600mm prime is almost 7 grand and i dont think anybody makes a consumer level lense in a zoom with that range

scubatooth

Actually, Tamron and Sigma make "inexpensive" 600mm range lenses; although the quality doesn't compare to the Canon lenses. Keep in mind when looking at SLR lenses, if you see an F2.8 (on any lense), you're looking at paying the big bucks! I'd like to get my hands on the 1200mm lens for underwater....I could take the same pictures that Gilligan takes in Hawaii while sitting in my living room up here in the great North!

http://www.photorevue.cz/Sekce7/IMAGES CLANKY/20Canon_-_EF1200mm.jpg
:D

Scubatooth once bubbled...

lal7176

scubatooth

It is a Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 autofocus zoom lens. Im not to sure which 600mm zoom lense she is looking at but if it costs anywhere near 7 grand she will be doing nothing but looking.:D Geez and i thought scuba was a expensive hobby :eek:ut:

well if you think the 7 + grand for the 600 is bad, dont even look at the 1200 because its 75,000 last time i asked and 6-9 month build time (as its a custom production lens) and for focus the min distance to get a goo shot on that is like 45 feet, and max of about 250 feet unless the lens is set to infinity.

if your wife wants a long range range lense look at the sigma series they have 2 lense that would be more agreeable price wise

sigma 170-500 F5-6.3 ~ $625
Sigma 600 F8 Mirror ~ $400 this is manual focus only

and if your really want to be nice to her sigma's 300-800 f5.6 but the sticker shock of its a 4500 dollar lense

hope this helps

Dan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom