Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm less than impressed with the feature list so far on the G12, I'm sure there are some other small updates, but the only one that even merits note is the HD video capture. And I'm not convinced that they couldn't have done that on the G11 and just held out to sell another model the next year. Until we can see the actual internal specs it will be difficult to see if they really updated the processing engine or sensor, but from what I can see so far it looks like they did some cosmetic changes and updated the firmware to do HD video. And if I want HD video I can buy a small 1080p capable video camera and housing for way less than upgrading my G11 and housing. So looks like the G12 (and S95) will be nice for those who are buying their first camera, but not something I'd bother with as an upgrade from a G11 or S90.

More Rumors on G12:
Amidst other Canon camera announcements earlier today, the Canon G12 briefly appeared on Cnet Asia. It’s gone from the site now, but the key features and specs are out in the open.
Canon PowerShot G12 Key Features

* 10MP CCD Sensor
* 5x Optical Zoom (28-140mm equivalent)
* 2.8″ Tilt/Swivel LCD
* Manual Exposure Control
* 720p HD Video Capture
* Optical Image Stabilization
* In-camera HDR Mode

In essence, the G12 is to the Canon PowerShot S95 what the G11 is to the S90 – its bigger, stronger cousin. One of the major criticisms of recent Canon G-Series cameras has been remedied with the introduction of the G12 – the ability to capture HD video. And, while captured video is only the 720p flavor at best, it should be much better than the VGA-resolution video found in the G11.

My best guess at pricing and availability would be $499 and available in September/October. Of course, we’ll have the full specs, price and availability dates once that G12 is officially unveiled.

[via Canon Rumors]
I HAD a g11 and very much enjoyed using it thru Hawaii and Vanautu untilI left it in the back seat of a taxi ..... any idea it I get the G12 if it will fit the underwater housing of the G11 ???

From what I have heard the G12 is going to add only HD video capability. I am strictly a still photographer and have the G11 so the G12 is giving me nothing that I want. The G11 is a good camera. Once I get used to it, I will probably move up to a DSLR. But right now it is fine and it takes some nice photos.

Now, I think that it is unfair to beat up Canon for not adding more features. The thing is that neither Canon nor Nikon make the sensors for their digital cameras. You can not build a new camera with cool new capabilities until you have a new more capable sensor to build it around. Right now, new sensors just are not coming out that fast.

From what I have heard the G12 is going to add only HD video capability. I am strictly a still photographer and have the G11 so the G12 is giving me nothing that I want. The G11 is a good camera. Once I get used to it, I will probably move up to a DSLR. But right now it is fine and it takes some nice photos.

Now, I think that it is unfair to beat up Canon for not adding more features. The thing is that neither Canon nor Nikon make the sensors for their digital cameras. You can not build a new camera with cool new capabilities until you have a new more capable sensor to build it around. Right now, new sensors just are not coming out that fast.

Canon does in fact make some of the sensors for their cameras, mainly the DSLRs. They and Nikon buy the rest from Sony. Actually, some of the best sensors are in Sony DSLRs. I love the A900, 24MP full frame. But the rest of their product line is not as well developed as those of Canon and Nikon. And customer loyalty does not change overnight. So even though the sensor is amazing, they have not dominated the high end market. People buy a system, and they buy what they are used to.

Any technology company has stuff in research that's way ahead, in advanced development that's say 12-18 months out, and in production. Some of the research stuff works but is too expensive, or too far ahead, so it takes a while to move to market. When a design heads to production, a great many manufacturing details and marketing and support details have to be worked out involving a huge team of people. There is a lot more than just the silicon involved in making a new sensor. The package, the interconnect, the filters, the process, so much to work out.

Back to Point and Shoot sensors. The sweet spot of the market is around $300-400 for prosumer point and shoots. In this market, for cost reasons, their sensors have to be much smaller than full frame sensors. So you only see small incremental evolution every 3-6 months, given the fixed small size of the sensor. The latest trend is actually toward fewer pixels with less noise, and interconnect out of the light path. The pace of improvement may seem slow, but over time it's actually fairly amazing, just as with memory or microprocessor chips.

I suspect that Canon believes it has to release something new, even if it's not a quantum leap ahead, every six months. Otherwise the other competitors will catch up. So, they looked at the G11 and said, what can we add with minimal development to crank out a "new" product? HD video! Probably only a firmware change, since the camera has the same sensor and processor and lens. Still they make the new product timetable.

Well, the G12 is not out yet. Maybe they will surprise me and do a much bigger innovation. Time will tell. I suspect they will follow the pattern of the S90 to S95 evolution, with minimal investment for a new product release. Next round, hopefully will be major.

The Canon G12 is now available and I am also hoping to get hold a housing for this model. Will the G11 housing fit?
I have a trip planned to the Maldives soon and would love to see any photographs of this area that members of scubaboard have shot. Also if there are any recommended areas to visit.

Thanks

Jason

From what I can see of the G12 in the photos, no a G11 housing won't work. The G12 has what looks to be a few new controls or at least controls that have moved to new positions and housings need to be exact. I'm sure the housings will be coming from Canon as well as others (FIX, Ikelite, 10Bar, etc.) soon. Usually it's not long after the camera actually hits the street before they begin to show up.

It looks like Nikon is is going to try to go head to head with the G12 with their new P7000. Very close in specs to the G12, it will be interesting to see them both in real use and see if one has a distinct advantage over the other.

After allowing Nikon to steal the spotlight with the P7000 launch just two days ago, Canon officially announced the G12. See
Canon U.S.A. : Professional Imaging Products : PowerShot G12
Pardon me while I yawn, sorry, I don't see much to get excited about in the "new" G12.

There is a minor error in the Accessory listing. It says the UW housing is the DC38, which is already assigned to the S95 housing. But... it probably means there will be a new housing for it from Canon - yes, conjecture, but no big surprise there. I don't see the differences, but you know engineers, always redesigning things that work just fine.

I headed over to DPreview for a different slant, and there were some features that just might be great.
Canon releases PowerShot G12 premium compact: Digital Photography Review
The "HS System" seems to be jargon for firmware that reduces noise in low light - a boon if it works without artifacts. The "Hybrid IS" is claimed to improve macro shooting by compensating for lateral and angular shift, using wobbly optics and the processor I presume. If that is real, I am very interested.

Video schmideo, I don't have video lights so I don't shoot much good video. Built in HDR -- I'll try that the next time that I have a tripod underwater and that fish and currents will obey a FREEZE command. I hope there is more, but so far... pretty limp. If you already have a G11, keep using it. If not, the G12 is the latest greatest thing, so probably the better investment. Both are very good cameras indeed, maybe the G11 was a hard act to improve on.

Have been happy with some of the videos I took with G9 - MWB (preferred) or magic filter... Videos & "high quality images, even in low light" would be useful for eg to capture special moments with the shy thresher sharks in Malapascua - PH, where strobes & video lights, even small dive torches are not allowed...
& the new tracking AF might be useful for fishes...

Agree that I wouldn't suggest to friends with G10 & G11 to upgrade to G12 but for friends looking to buy their 1st prosumer, G12 would be the choice... These are quite handy "• Smart Shutter(Smile, Wink Self-Timer, FaceSelf-Timer)" although not new in other brands...

I have a trip planned to the Maldives soon and would love to see any photographs of this area that members of scubaboard have shot. Also if there are any recommended areas to visit.
Thanks
Jason

Hi! Jason, my Maldives trip in Apr 10... http://cat-diving.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!74010AF9ECFC869A!1789.entry

Last edited:
True! I just saw on the Canon USA website. They list the WP-DC34 housing as the same for a G11 and the G12. So no need to upgrade your housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom