Canon G12..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True! I just saw on the Canon USA website. They list the WP-DC34 housing as the same for a G11 and the G12. So no need to upgrade your housing.

Just looked at the Canon web site and it's listing the WP-DC38 for the G12. There may have beens some lag as they updated their site. It's entirely possible they copied the G11 accessories page and then realized that some of the items aren't the same.

That's really odd. It appears that Canon has made a mistake somewhere. On the underwater housing page it shows that the WP-DC34 is for both the G11 and G12.

Canon U.S.A. : Underwater Photography

The WP-DC38 is the housing for the S95. Looks like there needs to be some clarification from Canon.

I agree. Canon should work hard to clear this up.

I see the confusion now, different info, different places. I guess if they kept the same body it might work, my question is what is the dial on the front (left as you look at it) of the G12, since the current housing won't be able to do anything with it. I didn't see the manuals out yet, so we'll have to wait to see what that dial does. It may be another one of those that they put alternate key presses for it.

For me it's great if it will use the same housing, since I have a G11 and now I don't have to buy a backup camera now, I can just wait and get a G12 if I ever have problems with the G11 (flooding, etc.).

Regarding the front dial on the Canon G12, here is info from Canon's Press Release:

"As well as offering Full Manual control and a range of semi-automatic modes, the addition of a new Front Dial provides swift and convenient access to settings during shooting. Users can either prioritise the Front Dial or the rear Multi-Control Dial as the main way of controlling the camera, or use a combination of both. For example, the Front Dial can be set to control aperture in AV mode while the Multi-Control Dial controls white balance or shooting aspect ratio, or it can be used independently, with the rear Multi-Control Dial disabled to prevent accidental changes to settings."​

This dial is a nice feature, meaning full manual control will be fast with both dials. But a new housing will be needed, the DC34 for the G11 can't spin this dial. The DC38 mentioned in error in the G12 docs is for the S95. I like this camera, so let's see how fast a housing can be introduced.

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think Canon will recommend using the Canon WP-DC34 case for the G12. I thought that was a typo first, but it has persisted in the Canon documentation. "WP-DC34 Waterproof Case is also available".

Which means we won't be able to access the front dial!!! For me the G12 front dial is the key differentiator between the G11 and G12 for underwater use, a great convenience. Perhaps they made a business decision to save the engineering resources, but I do hope other housing makers support this feature.

One issue that no one seems to address is barrel distortion. Raw files from the S90 or S95 (I assume) have a load of barrel distortion wide open. You can fix it in PS but it still is annoying.
Bill

According to Ikelight's website, they will be offering a new housing for the G12. I just hope it's ready for the beginning of November.

As I work as a full time photographer (on land) I was looking into the G12 as a handy little camera to have as a back up to my SLR and to also have for scuba. I have been talked out of the G series by two camera shops now as there are more wide lenses available for the S series housings than the G series. As we are soon to be heading out to the Maldives I am very eager to make my purchase. Is it really critical to get this wide option I wonder? Having spoken to experienced divers it's the magnification factor underwater could be the main reason I now have to consider the S95. Anyone out there with any input on this would be appreciated as to begin with I really had my heart set on the G series. Also I am finding it really hard to see any S90 OR G11 dive shot examples around online.

Cheers for now.

The g 12 will be available at the beginnng of October. The secs andfeatures have already been released on Amazon.com for it. Amazon.com: Canon G12 10MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 2.8 inch Vari-Angle LCD: Gateway.

The camera will havethe same features as the G11, but you will be able to shoot video in HD and will also have HS System included. It will use the WP-DC34 housing. Same as the G11.

It looks like a sweet camera. I got a good deal on a G11, at only 300 bucks, but I am thinking about selling it and upgrading to the G12.

Back
Top Bottom