Canon HF 200 upload

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSPDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Please help, I am loosing my mind.

I just bought the HF200 and am trying to upload a test shot. I can;t get the image to upload from just the flash memory card via a card reader. I am using a class 6 Delkin 16 gb card and a KIngston SDHC card reader. Also the bundled software, like others have said sucks. DO you have to have the camcorder pluged in to upload? DO you have to use the software to upload? CAn you convert the file once uploaded? I have a windows based pc. The whole idea of this camcorder was the HD convience. My goal was to shot a sdhc card and then replace with another. At night upload vidoe to an external hard drive via card reader while I charge the camera batteries. Use memory cards and fresh batteries next morning. Is this possible? It should be. Also, I have Corell Video Studio Pro. IT does not look like the camera is being recognized as an attached device. Please help any suggestions or tutorials would be of greeeaaat help.

I am not sure about Corel, but with Adobe Premiere and Apple Final Cut, you have to do a log and transfer.
In both cases the video is transcoded into something useful to the editing program.

You can NOT just drag and drop the files off of the card directly into the programs.

DO you have to have the camcorder pluged in to upload?
If you're trying to import from the card while it's in the camera then the camera has to be on. It should show up in Corel VSP as it does support direct AVCHD import. My buddy uses the same camera with Pinnacle Studio 12 and that's how he does it. He was having all sorts of transfer difficulties last month and when he called Canon, they told him to use his PS12 instead of their supplied s/w.

We're planning to do something similar on a May trip. Our plan is to use my netbook as a transfer device between the card reader and an external drive via an unpowered USB hub. Since it's a 16GB SSD netbook, I don't have the storage for the files but it should work as an I/O device. We're just going to store the files as a 1.6MHZ Atom processor w/1GB ram isn't exactly an HD editing platform...LOL

We may try it next weekend, if we get it working I'll post the steps/results here.

Just to clarify, that the camera has to be pluged in and charging to be able to download while the card is in the camera. From the stream folder!
If you take the card out you can just navigate straight to the stream folder.:D

Additional clarification: You need to copy an xxxx.MTS files from card's PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV\STREAM\ folder and it is simpler to do using external card reader(not directly from the camcorder)

Canon camcorders require that you use the supplied software to download the video clips. You then can edit the clips using any software you want or use that same software.

I download from my Canon HG21, then use Pinnacle Ultimate v12 as I am very comfortable with Pinnacle previous editions which I used with my SD Sony camcorder. It adds an extra step to the process but only a few minutes of time as no using tape ROCKS!

Canon camcorders require that you use the supplied software to download the video clips.
Maybe that's the case with HDV but with AVCHD it's not. You can directly copy clips from the HDD and use them.

My sister does this all the time with her Canon - not sure of the model # but it's a HDD model that's now 2 years old. I've done it myself without using the Canon s/w - we just plugged the camera into a USB port and copied the files over. Go into the edit window on Pinnacle Studio 12 - which she also uses - navigate to the right directory and they show up and are able to be moved onto the timeline for editing. I believe you can even import them directly from the camera as it's another disc drive as seen by the computer but I've never tried it. You do get the USB beep when it's connected.

I believe that flash camcorders are the same as both write AVCHD format files. What's posted by the previous two owners/posters above yours seems to indicate that also. As mentioned in my post, even Canon suggested not using their supplied software.

Maybe that's the case with HDV but with AVCHD it's not. You can directly copy clips from the HDD and use them.

My sister does this all the time with her Canon - not sure of the model # but it's a HDD model that's now 2 years old. I've done it myself without using the Canon s/w - we just plugged the camera into a USB port and copied the files over. Go into the edit window on Pinnacle Studio 12 - which she also uses - navigate to the right directory and they show up and are able to be moved onto the timeline for editing. I believe you can even import them directly from the camera as it's another disc drive as seen by the computer but I've never tried it. You do get the USB beep when it's connected.

I believe that flash camcorders are the same as both write AVCHD format files. What's posted by the previous two owners/posters above yours seems to indicate that also. As mentioned in my post, even Canon suggested not using their supplied software.

Includes Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Video Editing Software

The Canon VIXIA HF200 High Definition Camcorder is bundled with a powerful software suite, Pixela ImageMixer 3SE*. You can easily perform a variety of functions, including AVCHD Editing in which you can trim, reorder, and combine scenes, as well as add music, titles, and transitions. This software also allows you to play your AVCHD movies on your computer and will also let you share copies of your movie with friends and family through Flash Memory to hard drive copying. Transfer and store your movie onto your computer's hard drive with the software and easily convert your High Definition video to Standard Definition video as well.

This software will also assist you in converting video to the optimum resolution for transmission over the Internet.

With the Pixela ImageMixer 3SE Disc, you can burn your edited video onto either full size AVCHD DVDs, which play in AVCHD compatible Blu-ray disc players for the full home theater experience, or onto Standard Definition DVDs. And to complement the VIXIA HF200's Video Snapshot feature, a music CD containing royalty free soundtracks is also provided.
* The bundled application is compatible with Windows XP and Windows Vista.

With this software on the computer you can view the clips recorded. I got the same message as the OP when I first plugged in my camcorder and tried to view. Once the software was loaded on my computer, I am able to view everything. As I said, I don't use it for anything more than downloading the clips, I edit with Pinnacle.

Now, I am having the problem of playing the videos. The video plays in a jerky motion and the sound and video do not match. Ie. like you see some one mouth the word hello and then hear it 10 seconds later. I am afraid that my cpu is not up to the task. But it did not work in sd mode either and I have been editiing, playing, and watching sd video off of my JVC camera for years. I really want this to work. Please send more ideas, thanks for posting previous ideas. I think I am going to have to make the call to Canon. MY CPU was custom built in 2005. I have a AMD 64 bit cpu with 1 gig of ram and a vidoe GTforce 250mb video card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom