Question Less Tedious Ways To Log Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the video/photos I would agree that scrubbing through a whole dive is a huge drag. It's probably far more efficient to just use the GoPro on an unobtrusive mount (maybe a wrist mount) and take a clip or still if you see something cool.

I agree with the other commenters that relying on a dive computer to do most of the logging for you is the most convenient. I'm not familiar with the other electronic logs that have been mentioned, but at least Subsurface has 0-5 star ratings you can give to some of the meta-data you mentioned, rating, current, etc. Also has autocomplete for fields like weights. It's literally one click per field. I would just use voice to text for any free form notes. If you do the entry with the phone or other source of GPS data you can also tag dive sites with location info. It can also autosync your dive profile to your photos so you know what part of the dive the photo is from.

For social media, I don't know if there is a way to quick post to scubaboard :wink:, but I think Dive+ for example has tools to share to other platforms. You'll probably need some post-processing to make it tollarable to look at anyway, and that has built in tools. Or maybe just one of the GoPro apps?

I like the idea of Something back mounted to get a more overall perspective. I have been playing with a GoPro mount that slots into a tank cam band and faces forward, but figured it would just capture the back of my head and bubbles. You have given me the idea of using one of those "unicorn" mounts to add some spacing, and hopefully perspective. Yes, it is a snag hazard, but I think a manageable one.

The problem I often run into filming underwater is that with a single camera in a single position it's really hard to keep in interesting. On land I might have one GoPro on a helmet, another on a Cinepole, and another I set on a tripod or on a timer for slow pans. Hard to do that in the water.

Probably not going to get that info off a GoPro video....

If the dive goes bad enough it might show up on video lol

That is freaking awesome
It is

gps.PNG

Entry-exit.PNG

Edit to add: I definitely understand the boring aspect of traditional paper logs. Not only is it boring, I found them to be useless as well. To me, the value of the log is in cataloging information for later retrieval. Thumbing through a paper log to look for a particular dive is not going to work. At least with an electronic log, I can search for keywords, locations, temperature, etc. That’s pretty useful if I can’t remember the weight I used in freshwater with an AL80 as that’s not my usual setup.

Exactly, the whole pen and paper thing is stone age technology no different than neanderthals or tribal people who etched carvings into cave walls. You can't search/CTRL+F to find things with pen and paper, nor can you associate things by tags, no copy paste, no sharing. I just don't get people who claim to prefer this primitive nonsense over a private open source /modifiable digital notebook system- not only for diving but for life in general. Why settle for a devolved or limited data processing & retrieval ability by choice?

For the video/photos I would agree that scrubbing through a whole dive is a huge drag. It's probably far more efficient to just use the GoPro on an unobtrusive mount (maybe a wrist mount) and take a clip or still if you see something cool.
Yeah, but that's a tradeoff as well. Unless it's always recording, you may miss something cool in the time it takes to get started. I run mine when I splash, and only turn off when I get on the boat. It is tedious, but not too bad. Even just taking short clips, some post production should be done as not every shot will be a winner.
The Garmin app is pretty cool. Subsurface displays locations on a map as well. Just one, though. Not an entry and exit.
Exactly, the whole pen and paper thing is stone age technology no different than neanderthals or tribal people who etched carvings into cave walls. You can't search/CTRL+F to find things with pen and paper, nor can you associate things by tags, no copy paste, no sharing. I just don't get people who claim to prefer this primitive nonsense over a private open source /modifiable digital notebook system- not only for diving but for life in general. Why settle for a devolved or limited data processing & retrieval ability by choice?
Agreed. With paper logs, I logged during my checkout dives originally, then stopped shortly after. I didn't pick up logging again until I got a computer with logging capabilities.

Exactly, the whole pen and paper thing is stone age technology no different than neanderthals or tribal people who etched carvings into cave walls.
Electronics is the way to go until.......... Uh-Oh, my battery is dead

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

There are special ToS for posting in this part of the forum

Any political comments will be removed and if you wish to rant on political issues please use the "Pub"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom