Canon HF S10 Wow!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, it came Friday, and I have been messing around with it all weekend. Took two little test segements. Nothing fancy, was just playing around with the controls and getting a feel for the camera.

Canon HF-S10

[vimeo]3998461[/vimeo]

[vimeo]3998156[/vimeo]

And you can also see the HF-S10 and HF-S100 channel I started on Vimeo HERE.

Well I received my HF S10 on Friday but did not have the chance to play with i much yet. Heading to shoot some sunset stuff with it in a bit. So far, Im wondering how practical the whole joystick control is going to be for underwater use.

I think the joystick is going to be a lot easier for housings then the Sony touch screen. I heard Gates has a joystick control, if that is the case. That means that with the HF-S10 you will have access to the entire camera system. Because the Canon you only need access to the joystick and the function button, to access the entire menu system. Which would be really nice. Cause you would have access to manual exposure, shutter and focus. Which for underwater would be insane. Only time will tell. The HF-S10 for a consumer camera has amazing manual controls. Which was part of the reason I went that route. They kind of stole a lot of the good stuff from Sony, JVC and Panasonic.

HURRY UP GATES !!!:rofl3:

looks quite nice but not sure i detect much difference between this and a hc9?

Well there is some slight difference with the HF-S10 and the HC-9, but not much noticable to the lay person. The big advantage of the HF-S10 is it is the first consumer model, to offer 24Mb/s without needing HDV tape. Which has been the problem holding back the HDD and Flash units. Now you can get HDV quality without needing tapes, in the consumer models.

Ed,

Gates did a very nice job with a joystick control design on their new Deep Red housing. After spending a lot of time with the Deep Red housing, both in water and out of water, that is exactly what makes me confident that if anyone can make that control easy to use underwater, they certainly can.

One other plus you mentioned, is yes, once that joystick is accessible, the end user pretty much has full control of the camera, where as on previous Sony cameras, you have limited access to the touchscreen controls.

Well I have a housing coming in to use with the HF S10 to get it underwater next weekend if all goes well. Ill keep everyone posted on its underwater performance and put together a few clips.

Well I have a housing coming in to use with the HF S10 to get it underwater next weekend if all goes well. Ill keep everyone posted on its underwater performance and put together a few clips.

Mike,

How dare you! :rofl3: Get underwater before me. lol. So who housing did you get a hold of? Didn't think anyone had one available yet. Well let me know how the camera and housing worked out. Get the video up, and what light set-up did or are you going to use?:popcorn:

Update:

Ok ladies and gentleman, here is a vimeo channel I started on the HF-S10 and there is a lot of comparison with the XR-520V. I will let you make your own decisions, but for underwater the Sony maybe an easier choice for newer divers and people new to video. The Sony has better low light over the Canon, but only when the Canon is not in manaul gain. When the Canon is in manual gain at 18dB the Canon is better even in low light then Sony. But this is something you would have to set prior to placing in a housing, unless the housing allows for full control.

But here check out my HF-S10 channel and see for yourself!

I WANT THE HF-S10. When will the housing be available? Do you reckon to go for a strobe?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom