Canon T3i any good for UW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Togalive

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there,

So I recently decided on picking up a Canon T3i, both for above water photography and eventually for UW photography as well. I chose the canon also because the T3i and T2i both have great video capabilities and I would love to shoot video during my dives as well. Currently I have been shooting a SeaLife DC1200, but its time to step it up and start taking some seriously high quality photos. What I am wondering is if anyone could show me some photos taken with either the T3i or T2i? I have yet to be able to find any, so it is making it difficult for me to anticipate what sort of uw quality I am looking at. I know Ikelite and a few other companies sell a housing for the camera, but a housing does not necessarily make a good uw camera. What I would like to see are some actual results that people have gotten for photos and possibly video.

Thanks!

Toga

Those are popular cameras. I bought a T1i and had it a very short time and it quit working. Apparently it did not like being used outdoors. I took it back as if it were a broken toaster oven and got my money back. It kept freezing up and I never could figure out how to change f stop, very complicated. I was looking the new T3i over yesterday and aside from the bulk compared to old time film SLRs it seems like a nice camera but I see no gaskets or dust shields on any of the controls. Also, I still cannot figure out how to change f stop without multiple button pushes, I must be missing something here. When they offer a similar camera that I can use outside on my boat without fear of a single drop of water, I may buy whatever it is.

I want to be able to sling it overt my back and walk through a thunderstorm, I don't think the T3i can do that so I have to pass. Cute camera though.

N

The T3i makes for an EXCELLENT underwater camera. It offers many of the same qualities as the 60d and 7d, only in a smaller, less expensive package. Full use of the Canon lenses, full DSLR Control, and full HD Video, its compact (for an SLR) and quite ergonomic. Housings are available from nearly all DSLR housing manufacturers (Nauticam, Ikelite, Sea & Sea, Aquatica...and more I am sure).

Some great underwater lenses to use with that camera: Canon 60mm macro, Tokina 10-17 wide angle, Canon 100mm Macro (super macro). A few other Canon lenses work well too, but are more pricey.

Good luck!

I have been using the T1i for three years above water and below for a few months now and haven't had any trouble with it at all. I shoot mostly manual stills. Great camera, great performance, but the video is some strange frame rate that never made any sense to me OR my computer's video card. I think they fixed that in the T2i. I know this doesn't answer your question at all, I just like to hear myself speak. Thanks for listening.

I recently shot the Canon t3i in a Nauticam housing. The camera was pretty nice, responsive, with an excellent sensor - gotta love those Canon colors!

I shot it with a Tokina 10-17 and with the Canon 100 macro with a diopter and got some very nice shots. Video on it is very good as well.
Weak points are that the fastest strobe sync speed is 180/sec and manual strobe sync is kind of a kludge - or at least I couldn't figure it out.

Nauticam has an incredibly nice housing, small with very ergonomic controls. They've moved controls out and spread some of the buttons to make it easier to work. The Sea & Sea RDX 600D is probably the best next bet for a value housing. We've been setting the me up with Zen 100 domes for the Tokina with very good results.

Here's a couple of shots, there are more here: Nauticam NA-600D - a set on Flickr

6023903721_8083eba6e0_z.jpg

6024458282_aee8414ff3_z.jpg

Jack

As I've stated in other threads the T3i is an awesome camera BUT all they did was move a few buttons, add a failure point (rotatable screen) that is useless underwater and up the cost. As far as picture and video quality it changed nothing from the T2i and for underwater photography the T2i is the better deal.

Nice photos Jack. This camera certainly can shoot if setup correctly! Did you shoot with the Zen 4" dome for the wide angles?

Would the strobe sync speeds you state as being problematic going to bean issue if I use Inon S2000s?

I was using a Zen 100mm doem and 10-17. Yes the 180th shutter speed is the fastest it can sync.

We still can get T2i housings if that's a preference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom