Canon WP-V1 Housing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Polycarbonate, Glass and Stainless Steel Allow Amateurs to Take on Jacques Cousteau

The casing is constructed using polycarbonate, white plate glass and stainless steel. Double-paned glass lens window with multicoating on both sides prevents reflected light.

Well, if it stops a bullet, then I feel it will keep the cam safe. My Sealife hasn't ruptured, Ikelite is still in business, Planes are still flying, the military uses them for fighter jet canopy's...all I'm doing is taking a camera down a hundred feet. The case could turn purple as the camera never, NEVER shoots through the polycarbonate...only, ONLY GLASS...so aluminum, or polycarbonate...I'll use polycarbonate with my extended warranty which covers water damage...AND I'm sure I will be able to go after Canon for a failed unit.

Thanks for sharing the facts about the pool dive. Your sharing the info about the housing is appreciated more than you know.

for anyone who has used this...
1) Is there access to the joystick button to the left of the screen for setting frame rate, aperture, etc...
2) is there a button to turn on video snapshot?
3) what is the "Special Underwater Scene Mode"
4) is there a pdf of the owners manual?
5) any underwater footage NOT from Canon, and in open water at depth (deeper than snorkel depth)

for anyone who has used this...
1) Is there access to the joystick button to the left of the screen for setting frame rate, aperture, etc...
2) is there a button to turn on video snapshot?
3) what is the "Special Underwater Scene Mode"
4) is there a pdf of the owners manual?
5) any underwater footage NOT from Canon, and in open water at depth (deeper than snorkel depth)

This guy explains everything:
YouTube - Canon WP-V1

Now... if I just knew what he was saying. :wink:

WOW! Thanks for that link...It didn't take a translator to see that access to the joystick is sadly missing so no switching modes or anything like that. You would have to set the white balance to auto in order to adjust for increasing depth and adjust for changes in the white balance.

I do have the tech upgrade plan at CompUSA so I'm going to look at some HF S100 housings and see where that goes.

Thanks again for the link!

Again, if someone has the WP-V1 and could give some first-hand, in-depth reports I, and others, would appreciate the input.

Were the Canon video's shot through a red filter? looks like they must have been. Does that filter come with the housing? If not, what do you use? Thanks.

The outside of the housing accepts 67mm filters and there is a 67mm macro lens which will fit the housing as well. So you can filter blue (salt) or green (fresh) water.

I'm going ahead with my purchase of the WP-V1

Well, I just got my new WP-V1 today! Also got the INON UWL100 wide angle to use with the video and the C-5060. Three weeks to Bonaire and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

There are instructions with the housing on how to activate/install the "underwater setting"......whatever that means. White balance sets to auto. Housing looks pretty good, we'll see how it works.

Well, I just got my new WP-V1 today! Also got the INON UWL100 wide angle to use with the video and the C-5060. Three weeks to Bonaire and I'll let everyone know how it goes.

There are instructions with the housing on how to activate/install the "underwater setting"......whatever that means. White balance sets to auto. Housing looks pretty good, we'll see how it works.

Please! Please! Do reveal the secrets of the "Underwater Mode"!

I am also curious to know how good that mode is. I am familiar with the Canon underwater mode on my camera, but I always used manual white balance because of the change in depth. Underwater mode I have read is only good from about 25ft and up. After that, the loss of color is very substantial, hence, why I use manual WB.

I am also not sure of how well auto WB and a color filter would work. It again would depend on depth and light.

If you find anything out prior to your trip please do post - I have a trip in 2 months to Indonesia and will either be buying or renting (if I can), so this info is very helpful.

I am also considering the Sanyo VPC-HD2000 with Epoque case. I heard of the leak problems, but they have supposedly been fixed. That case and camera does allow manual WB to be set, which is my #1 feature.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why these camera makers find it so hard to not include a one touch manual white balance button. Most of the professional people I've talked to say this is the best thing about the case and camera they have - point the camera at the back of your slate and push a button.

Back
Top Bottom