Canopy tours?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict:
My wife and I have read about the canopy tours in Roatan and were wondering if anyone has done them?

Are they worth it? Do you have to give up a day of diving?

We are staying at AKR in October. Do you know if they will come pick you up, or how would you get there?

Thanks alot for any info on these tours!
We just got back today from Fantasy island. (Did the Canopy Tour on Friday). It was $35 and was well worth it. It takes a little less than an hour to complete the 11 "stations" and was a blast. Great way to spend part of a day. It was a $10 ride from FI and takes about 30-45 minutes to get there from the FI/Coco Beach area.

RoatanMan:
Do it on your pre-flight off-gassing day.

Not too bad, but with any physical activity, it depends on how well insured your delicate video camera is... and how quickly the Honduran kids at the end of the slide react when they see you come hurtling towards them!

Have fun, live life as an adventure. Wouldn't that be cool for your family to tell the story about how Uncle Addict croaked out in wild and wooly Honduras? Have :wink:

Video taping would be a challenge. You have to use one hand to brake with and the other to keep from spinning. You could certainly catch the people behind you coming down the line.

Duke - thanks for the tips. I definitely want to go - so I will inquire at the resort. Might just have to leave the video back at the hut. Although I think it would be a cool vid to intermix into my dive clips!

dukeh20:
Video taping would be a challenge. You have to use one hand to brake with and the other to keep from spinning. You could certainly catch the people behind you coming down the line.

Where there's a will, there's a way...

I have seen folks set them on wide angle, then clamp them between their knees and under their armpits. Real prepared adventure video photogs already have rigs to bungee them to their chests or wear on a hockey helmet.

In this case, however: Where there's a will, there are relatives! :wink:

I took my camera. I never tried to take a picture while I was "zipping" but I did take lots of photos from the station stands. You can take pictures of other people taking off if you go last or photos of people zipping in if you go first. Just not possible to take a video while you are zipping unless you fastened the camera some how to your body ... duck tape anyone?

champ:
Just not possible to take a video while you are zipping unless you fastened the camera some how to your body ... duck tape anyone?

Deck screws and cable ties.

Arg... champ!

I wasn't going to take my video camera, now I'm thinking - maybe...

I have that wierd pit-in-the stomach feeling - cause I really want to get the footage from up there...

Was it wet when you went? Like dew dripping from the leaves - shoot I don't know. Trying to weigh all of the pros and cons...

Addict:
Arg... champ!

I wasn't going to take my video camera, now I'm thinking - maybe...

I have that wierd pit-in-the stomach feeling - cause I really want to get the footage from up there...

Was it wet when you went? Like dew dripping from the leaves - shoot I don't know. Trying to weigh all of the pros and cons...

We went mid day last Friday and it was dry. It only rained part of one day the entire week and there was nothing coming off the trees.

Duke

How were you able to get those pics. of yourself on the cable? Were there places along the way where others in your party could stop and take the pics.? We are planning on doing the canopy tour in march when we are in Roatan and I would love to bring home pics. like that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom