Can't afford video so going with DSLR opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP can afford a dSLR/housing/strobe to be within his "budget" but a video camera/housing is not! From what I've seen, video is cheaper than a moderately equipped dSLR.

I'm still trying to figure out why the OP can afford a dSLR/housing/strobe to be within his "budget" but a video camera/housing is not! From what I've seen, video is cheaper than a moderately equipped dSLR.

Maybe he has a high end HD video recorder, and the housing is expensive.

Video lighting can be very expensive. Putting a couple of 24W HID lights UW can run 4K.

OTOH, I agree that one can put a consumer rig together even with a light for less than the cost of most DSLR setups.

My buddy just purchased a MiniDV camcorder for his wife for XMAS. It ran about $250, and it looks like a real nice unit.

Thanks for all the input guys. I knew I could count on you all for excellent information.
ce4jesus the pictures in your gallery? How many of them were taken with a E410?
Are you using a strobe? Or did you take any of them with just the built in flash?
Are you familiar with the Oly housings? If so how difficult are they to attach a strobe to?
All new stuff to me since the P&S didn't have those options :)
I'm seeing that I can pick up a 410 with just the 14-42 lens probably for 250-300 which seems like a decent price for a good starter camera.

Only the Hawaii photos...if they're marked as such. It was my first time underwater with it and the 14-42mm lens. I was concentrating more on what the abilities of the camera were more than taking good photos on the dives. There should be a school of convict tangs in my profile that show the WA ability of the lens. That along with one of a seahorse that show how good of a macro you can get. For starters, its a nice lens and gives you some of that P&S versatility. Some people have started with the 50mm macro, which is a nice lens but isn't veratile enough for me. The 14-42 gives you some flexibility. If the 12-60 would have been out I might have splurged on that.
I have two handles with a base that I purchased from Bonica for my old P&S setup that I used with this new setup. I have 1 INON Z-240 and 1 housed Olympus flash (fl20). However, I think 1 Inon Z240 would more than cover the kit lens and give you decent photos. I've taken all my photos with external strobes however the Olympus OEM housing does allow the internal strobe to pop up and the housing is acrylic (clear) but unless you go with the 50mm lens the port for the 14-42 will block the internal strobe.
When shooting both the Nikon D40X, and the Oly 410 one must depress the exposure compensation button, and then set the command dial while the button is depressed to control aperture settings. IMO this is a poor design for UW shooting, so Kudos to the Canon D400 in this reguard.

Ron, Yes. If I had one criticism of the OEM housing and camera it was making the control on the housing a button instead of a lever. Had it been a lever you could have still done it easily. Some people who have used the supplied handstrap say its easy enough to do with that. However, I have two handles. I can't reach the button with my hand on the handle. So there are some gymnastics involved when the camera is in manual mode.

Back
Top Bottom