Can't get away from a feet down position at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6lbs (with a conventional BCD) for a guy your size seems a bit low to start with. In your case you may well be underweight. Can you hold a 15-20' stop with an empty (<500psi) tank without holding on to something?

If he has alot of muscle mass 6lb could also be too much.

im about 6ft 2in give or take and about 270 -290 in just shorts and gear free. and 6 lb in only the trim pockets and no there is no other lb

Did anybody read this? Typical SB internet divers start giving reason and explanations without know the facts.

Now that we have you body type, what type of BS do you use? How much weight? Do you position the tank low/high?

Did anybody read this? Typical SB internet divers start giving reason and explanations without know the facts.

Now that we have you body type, what type of BS do you use? How much weight? Do you position the tank low/high?

What type of body does he have? I'm gonna go with very muscular if he's dragging his feet with 6lbs, a shorty and an AL 80.

Now that we have you body type, what type of BS do you use?

I know this is just a typo, but I still think its funny.

Trim is almost impossible to diagnose over the internet. I made a huge deal about it and weighting when I was still learning, now I find I can get myself level with just about any gear I put on. A lot of it is just technique and experience, although the proper setup does make things a lot simpler to sort out.

If you're interested, I live in St Louis, and I would be more than willing to meet up with you sometime and work out your trim with you. I've done it with a bunch of other divers in the last couple months and it seems to have helped them pretty well. Send me your email over PM if you're interested.

Tom

Ironically he answered ALL of the questions you are asking with maybe the exception of tank placement, and it has been suggested he raise it. :rofl3:

The advice provided will solve his problems, but it is much easier to apply the advice if one is standing in front of the diver vs. on the internet.

Also height and Bodyweight don't necessarily provide a body type. If he is lean at his weight, then he likely has a lot of leg mass, but I would think he would have similar chest mass.

The reality is there are not that many variables to work with from a weight perspective, and tank position, so he will need to figure it out. A solid experienced local dive buddy IMO is the best solution to help with this. An instructor is also a good suggestion, but they might charge him, which IMO is not necessary unless he does not mind paying someone to do this.

First guess would be overweight. Its probably the most common reason for it.

Secondly move some lead high up, ankle weight around the valve or lead blocks on top CAM strap etc. Also try moving the tank up higher but with the silly long aluminium things there's a limit to how far you can do this without smacking your head on the valve.

Also with the obvious, how is your buoyancy. When you stop COMPLETELY neutral do you sink feet down? I see a lot of people slightly negative kicking to maintain depth without realising it.

Other last ditch situation could be choice of tank, a dumpy style 12l steel fits far higher up the back so moves the CoG higher and so on.

thank you for all your help so far. im going to try an answer some of the questions you have all asked. my body type is heavy think of high school football defensive end (heavy set but not overly fat). my buoyancy is for the most part good eather way if i stop all movement at depth i tend to quickly go feet first. belived i have have answered the questions to this point if not let me know and ill get you the answer i can as soonas i can. i finish this with a question i have had a few of you tell me to think about different fins. i love my turtle fins however am willing to experiment with new fins i also wear boots with a thick full sole oceantic makes them so what the fins are need to have a large foot pocket.

also on a side note sorry i havent replyed sooner working my but off at work

When you say feet down, my initial impression is to think that your body attitude is drastic.

Is your attitude in the water as drastic as some of us are thinking or is it a more subtle angle.

Give us an example of what you consider feet down in your case. Are you swimming at a 70degree angle or something more subtle, like 5 degrees.

while swiming at a steady relaxed pace i feel it is a verry subtle 5 degrees +/- however when i go to hover even for short stops it is verry drastic almost 90 degees if i stop all movement i would like to fix both completely or as close to it as i can

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom