capilene as undergarm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GERARD IMBRO

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi there,
i dive dry in southern california,i currently wear a thinsulate undergarm,and dont really care for it,its way too bouyant and the pillowey stitching traps alot of air.my question is patagonia makes this undergarm called capilene that is used from anything from mountain climbing skiing kyaking etc,it has no bouyancy and comes in 4 degrees of warmth capilene1 to capi4 which is the warmest.i spoke with there rep and he said a capi3 [pants and shirt] would keep me more then warm enough in 55 to 70 degree water.this material is synthetic so it wicks moisture from your skin aswell.sounds great has anyone out there used this??

I know people who use and works just as others undergarments do. As for it not being bouyant I have no idea. I use the Fourth Element, But looked into purchasing same thing your looking at from REI. There is a few people that own it and it works the same. just less the price.

I use capilene here in SoCal...

...as a base layer for my 400g.

Seriously, it's not even REMOTELY warm enough on its own for diving locally.

I know very experienced DS divers who swear by their Capilene as base layers. I use similar UnderArmor Base 2.0 as a base layer.

i use capilene here in socal...

...as a base layer for my 400g.

Seriously, it's not even remotely warm enough on its own for diving locally.
which capilene do you have?it seems 1 is coolest and 4 is warmest,the people at patagonia say a capi3 is far warm enough in socal water.i would like to think i would only have to wear this as my only undergarm,no layering

i know very experienced ds divers who swear by their capilene as base layers. I use similar underarmor base 2.0 as a base layer.
fisheater,
thanks,would you know which capilene your friends are useing ? Capi1 is coolest capi4 is the warmest.i would like to only wear this as my undergarm,no layering

Not familiar with the level's as I only seen in which all people here that use it, It is a base Layer only. I have not seen anyone diving just that. I did look it up and at it. The capilene3 looks similiar to Fourth Element XT250. And for diving here in Northeast which water temps are similiar to socal. I personally would not dive just that. That to me looks good for water temps above 65F but not below on its own. Again everyone has there own cold and comfort point.

If your looking for something comfortable and not too bulky that could be worn on its own in those temps. I would checkout Fourth Element Arctic

I beleive these are really desighned to be used a Base layer.

http://www.rei.com/product/801812

Are you talking shell, neoprene or compressed neoprene?

I use this, Capilene 3, as a base layer under my 400g thinsulate undergarments. I stayed pretty warm on dives in the mid to lower 50s with both the garments on but I don't think the Capilene would've been enough by itself.

You can always try the Capilene as a base layer and then a wool pullover of some kind if you want something less buoyant. Just make sure you stay away from cotton when it comes to undergarments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom