Capillary Depth Gauge - anachronism or reference...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm still trying to understand why I might want one of these. I agree it is a cheap reliable way to tell me my approximate depth. I agree that might be helpful to hold a safety stop if my computer should fail. But I see no value to allowing me to do a repetitive dive; it does not tell me my max depth so I can't use tables to plan the next dive, and I would need a timing device in addition anyway to know my bottom time. And if I had my max depth (which I wouldn't) and my BT, the multi-level dives we do today would likely put me off the table for my current/aborted dive and unable to plan for the next one.

Other than a modern version of an obsolete device, what value does it provide?

I'm still trying to understand why I might want one of these. I agree it is a cheap reliable way to tell me my approximate depth. I agree that might be helpful to hold a safety stop if my computer should fail. But I see no value to allowing me to do a repetitive dive; it does not tell me my max depth so I can't use tables to plan the next dive, and I would need a timing device in addition anyway to know my bottom time. And if I had my max depth (which I wouldn't) and my BT, the multi-level dives we do today would likely put me off the table for my current/aborted dive and unable to plan for the next one.

I think:
1. The capillary does not replace a computer - it just might come in handy when everything goes dark! And won't be a burden - weighs only 0.3 ounces
2. The main purpose is snorkeling, spearfishing and the first depth gauge for beginners to learn how to control the dive..

I think:
1. The capillary does not replace a computer - it just might come in handy when everything goes dark! And won't be a burden - weighs only 0.3 ounces
2. The main purpose is snorkeling, spearfishing and the first depth gauge for beginners to learn how to control the dive..
My first depth gauge was a capillary gauge. It provided little value then, less now, but I'm thinking of scuba applications. I need more than "might come in handy." How?

Seems like snorkeling/freediving is off topic for this board.

I have to applaud the OP on his efforts -- and haven't seen a capillary gauge in quite some time; and least of all, that design.

Elegant.

I have always carried analogue equipment as back-ups, from watches, on down -- having had serial electronic breakdowns over four-some decades; but only negligible problems ever occurred with analogue gear, which typically only involved the quick replacement of a hose or maybe spool within a few minutes of returning to the water.

I'd buy a few . . .

1. This is first key: "if my computer should fail". See Murphy's Computer Law: "That's not a bug, that's a feature!". Now think about whether you are ready for such a development of events! Are you ready to trust your life to a computer assembled on a Chinese assembly line at the end of a long working day?
2. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but every dive must be planned - time, depth and return! If necessary, you can/should add an extra 10 minutes for an unexpected meeting with mermaids or for collecting doubloons from a accidentally discovered Spanish galleon. Diving without a plan - looking for trouble while walking through beautiful surroundings.

My first depth gauge was a capillary gauge. It provided little value then, less now, but I'm thinking of scuba applications. I need more than "might come in handy." How?

Seems like snorkeling/freediving is off topic for this board.
Ask the F-35 pilot why he takes a parachute with him
About scuba application's: "
  • If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization."

Ask the F-35 pilot why he takes a parachute with him
You either do not understand my question, or you refuse to answer.
Either way, I see no point in trying to have a reasonable discussion with you.

I think a better question regarding the F-35 pilot is, why doesn’t he take a propeller with him? 😉
Because an F-35 doesn't have a propeller?
Perhaps the right analogy is taking a spare wing....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom