Captain Lost Our Group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, you are right.

Go Diving!

What if they had not made the intelligent decision to swim to shore?

My point in asking this question is that swimming to shore should be part of your Emergency plan! Period.

In my world a swim to shore is not that hard to consider for most Cozumel dives.

In my world a swim to shore is not that hard to consider for most Cozumel dives.

May not be a nice landing but I've thought about it many times up north or on the East side. That iron shore landing would be a bitch... San Fransisco beach would be nice however...
I'll take a premium Margarita on the rocks with minimal salt on the rim.
p3160874.jpg

I guess the location of where the lost divers reached shore will remain one of the Isla de Golondrinas Mysteries!

Thanks for getting to the bottom of the story, or to the shore in this case. I was using Google earth to guess where they would come ashore, and was thinking someplace around the Reef Club, which is about half as far as the divers went. So yes I do respect the currents, I have a notation in my dive log from Punta Tunich where I called it a 747 dive, because we were really flying. In looking at the bright side, the best thing about an afternoon dive is when you get back to shore, you have happy hour prices!

One additional item. I have done quite a few drift shore dives between the two cruise ship piers and find it is a good idea to have 100 NP on hand for that unplanned taxi ride. I have carried 2 tanks and listened to the very objective critique of my navigational shortcomings as we walked from PLG back to SCC. No fun.

Are you comparing? Have you dived Cozumel?

---------- Post Merged at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Because I have been diving Tunich in the afternoon and I'm sure I'll find myself there again. If I am in a similar circumstance as the OP, I want to know as much about his experience as possible ( and how to avoid it or deal with it ).

This inquiry is not about putting Chisti or her dive operation on trial.

It is about gaining info to deal with this type of dilemma.

Inquiring minds want to know!

I'm catching up on this thread...

Q: If that's true why not discuss it in a fresh new thread?

---------- Post Merged at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:26 PM ----------

Is that really good advice? Swim to shore in Cozumel? I would think that it might be more practical to inflate the SMB, try to relax and pray that sooner or later the capt will be able to find you down current and down wind. Actively swimming may put the diver much closer to shore than would be expected and might be harder to find. It also will tire the diver out and may make it harder for buddies to stay together, may tend to induce decompression sickness due to the post dive exertion and having to actively swim toward shore may induce panic in some people.

Since I've only dove Cozumel a few times, I am curious if "swimming for it" is good advice for that location.

If I were in a very remote location and feared that the dive boat had been disabled, or forgot me, or sunk or something, I might try to swim for shore, but in a location where there are other resources to perform a search for lost divers, I think I would rather float than swim.

In some areas you would not want to try to get on shore. In some areas there's a beach. Obviously, DM's who've dived there all their lives would know whether or not to swim to shore or not. Therefore, the advice she gave would be okay if qualified by stating most areas are dangerous for getting on shore.

In some areas you would not want to try to get on shore. In some areas there's a beach. Obviously, DM's who've dived there all their lives would know whether or not to swim to shore or not. Therefore, the advice she gave would be okay if qualified by stating most areas are dangerous for getting on shore.

There are docks.

Why was this thread started anyway? To get comped diving?

Let the DM handle it or talk to the owner privately.

There are docks.

That was covered in the first 10 posts I think.

There are docks.

Yeah, you're probably right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom