Car key question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a simple, non-electronic key.

It will open your doors, right? Then your electronic key is hidden safely inside the vehicle.

Standard $2 keys are waterproof, just like driver's licenses and money.

this is what I do - remove key and split ring from the rest of the key chain, hide the rest (with the key fob) in the car and "double" attach the key to a D-ring. Once with a snorkel keeper looped though the key's split ring and then looped through the D-ring, then I hook a double ender to the split ring and d-ring.

I can't take mine with me while diving due to the chip inside of it so I just stick mine on the ledge for the running boards under my truck. The place I dive locally really hasn't had issues with theft and anyways it wouldn't be hard to spot in a town of 700. Last time I checked I'm the only one with a truck that looks like mine. They make those magnetic keepers that you could put your keys in and hide them somewhere out of sight under your vehicle if your worried about them.

I take mine with me. I use an Ikelite Accessory Case part number 3001. They've been discontinued, but can still be found at some retailers who have old stock, or on e-Bay, etc. (ACCESSORY CASE) It is small and can be put in a BC pocket and is water proof to 300ft. Another option is to buy one of the small Otter Boxes. The small Pelican Boxes are only waterproof to about 30ft, but the Otterbox is waterproof to 100ft. And again, it is small enough to stuff in a BC pocket. (check out the Otterbox 1000, it is the smallest of their waterproof cases. Waterproof iPod Cases | OtterBox 1000 Series | OtterBox.com) All these boxes are boyant, not enough to affect your weights, 'cause they are very small. But, if they get away from you, they'll float to the surface. So, I'd also recommend attaching a nylon cord or string to the box and the other end to a D ring on your BC. Just as a safety, then put the box in a BC pocket.

---------- Post Merged at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:55 AM ----------

My F150 has a handy keypad on the driver's door, so I just lock my keys in the truck.

Yeah, I used to do that with my Ford Expedition, until someone broke in and used the keys to steal the car.

Otter Box. In Bonaire, we leave nothing of value in the truck. It all goes with us in the Otter Box: car key, room key, and some cash. The box can be annoyingly bouyant, though. It's been watertight so far. Would I trust it with my smartphone on a deep dive?--I dunno.

hadn't thought of that. Thanks for taking me down a notch after my smug post :)

They found my car. But by then, the insurance company had already paid me off. So they donated it to the police department. The guy who had it, probably not the guy who actually stole it, got 18 months. The rude part though, was coming back to my parking space in full scuba gear to find someone elses car where I had left mine. And mine was no where to be found.

Besides the Otterbox idea, another thing that I started doing when I needed to leave a wallet, checkbook, etc. in the car was to get a handgun lock box with a combination lock. I'd put that stuff in the gun safe and stuff it under one of the seats.

I had a key pad added to my truck so i could lock them in the truck... my thought is if someone really wants to steal the truck then I guess it is a good thing i pay for insurance

Thank you all for your experiences. Sorry to hear about your tolen car GrandpaScuba. My main concern is the equipment that stays in the car when I’m diving, I never really thought of losing the whole car. One thing more to worry about. :wink:

I think I’m going with the suggestion of having a non-chip key made and leaving the key with the chip in the car. This way I can take the key in both a dry and wet suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom