Carbon fiber scuba tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DOT doesn't "approve" tanks for scuba use.

Yes, their higher cost, shorter lives, and inability to find full fill sites is all paled by the fact that you will have to add a huge amount of lead to offset the buoyancy shift compared to metal tanks. When you switch from a 30# tank to a 10# tank, that weight has to go back on you somewhere!

some permits do have a provision against using them underwater

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cac...DA128422B0100/filename/SP10915_2009100578.pdf

Luxfer special permit DOT SP 10915

see section 7c on page 5.

That's completely backwards.. They are not "permitting" anything, only stating that this specific cylinder is not safe for use underwater .

how is that backwards? if the SP bans underwater use, the OEM can't sell it as a scuba tank. if the permit doesn't outright ban underwater use, then it could be used for scuba tanks. I'm not saying you can't go try to dive a paintball tank if you want to, just the company can't sell it to you while claiming it is a scuba tank.

http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/pv_obj_cac...56A8F2B090100/filename/SP12479_2010090165.pdf

found the one I believe for the luxfer wrapped cylinders. explicitly mentions approval for scuba.

sidenote: i was wrong about there being no dot approved carbon fiber tanks for scuba. still wouldn't buy one though.

I was trying to recall what ws said in PSI class about carbon fiber. Someithing i recalled related to not authorized for scuba. Also ther were differences between pure carbon fiber and wrapped al tanks and hooped tanks. I did not pay much attention as I dont deal with carbon tanks. Perhaps someone can shed more light on the carbon tank variations and thier use. I did remember about them being usles for diving because of thier (sarcastically) nill weight. The pure carbon tanks were used by firefighters and it had unique vis requirements, like prior to each fill. It has been some time so im sure i am moderately comfused.

I was wondering if they make carbon fiber scuba tanks? I would imagine there would be a lot of benefits such as weight savings and such.

The op's question has been answered. Yes, and no benefits.

As for the rest, the Department of Transportation doesn't give a rat's behind if you are using your water heater tank to breathe from, for Pete's sake, nor do they have any authority over your personal diving gear or practices so long as you are not engaged in commerce on the interstate system. Stop giving them "authority" where there is none.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

OK, this thread is a mess. I am closing it for now. It will be opened once we have had time to deal with it all.

---------- Post added August 25th, 2014 at 07:50 PM ----------

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread started out as a generic question about the use of carbon fiber tanks, and the first few posts did a nice job of trying to answer. Then it started to go downhill and disintegrated into a name calling, TOS-violating mess. I finally decided that everything that did not have to do with the generic question of the use of carbon fiber tanks had to go because they were inextricably intertwined with all sorts of abuse. That means some reasonable posts had to go with the rest. The thread is open for its announced topic

Back
Top Bottom