Carbon Monoxide Detectors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I picked up a an Anolox CO analyzer. Everyone has O2 analyzers, so I use the shops. No one has CO analyzers so I have my own. I'll get to o2 analyzer later when I have fewer scuba related expenses.

Two questions, the second directed to DandyDon.

First, any thoughts about which CO analyzer to purchase? I have an Analox O2 analyzer, and it works great. (@Markmantei: I have regular encounters with operators who provide Nitrox, and do not have analyzers, the most recent this past month in La Paz).

Second, DandyDon, I think you referenced a bearing burn out causing elevated CO readings. Is this correct? We think burnt bearings caused the bad air problem on our recent Cantamar trip, but I had not thought about the possibility of a bearing issue impacting CO levels. Any background references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

Two questions, the second directed to DandyDon.

First, any thoughts about which CO analyzer to purchase? I have an Analox O2 analyzer, and it works great. (@Markmantei: I have regular encounters with operators who provide Nitrox, and do not have analyzers, the most recent this past month in La Paz).

Second, DandyDon, I think you referenced a bearing burn out causing elevated CO readings. Is this correct? We think burnt bearings caused the bad air problem on our recent Cantamar trip, but I had not thought about the possibility of a bearing issue impacting CO levels. Any background references would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Yeah, I purchased my Analox Oxygen analyzer long ago after I didn't care for the unit offered at at resort, but I've seen nitrox sold where none were supplied. Scary...!!

And I really like the Analox portable CO analyzer for cost, ease of use, speed, and company service. You can find them for $300 and share with a group, and - just because 9 tanks test clear does not mean the 10th tank doesn't need testing. I get a little bored testing when 12 in a row test clear but it's reassuring, and all that changes when one day you do get a reading.

It's not really a bad bearing issue, but just a compressor running hot with continuous use - especially in warm climates, sometimes with poor ventilation, partially combusting its own lubricating oil - producing CO. Some think that an electric compressor is safe because it doesn't have exhaust fumes, but that's not the case at all.

I followed the Analox link from your sig but I couldn't figure out how to actually buy one...

I followed the Analox link from your sig but I couldn't figure out how to actually buy one...
I'm sure you can buy one direct from Analox but might do better on price elsewhere. I see that Leisure Pro, Dive Right In Scuba, and Diveseekers.com are offering them for $341 with free shipping but sometimes we see better prices, maybe from group buys. Scubatoys has them listed at the same price but they have been known to do better on request, like if you tell them you can get that price other places and hoped for better. :laughing:

I'm sure you can buy one direct from Analox but might do better on price elsewhere. I see that Leisure Pro, Dive Right In Scuba, and Diveseekers.com are offering them for $341 with free shipping but sometimes we see better prices, maybe from group buys. Scubatoys has them listed at the same price but they have been known to do better on request, like if you tell them you can get that price other places and hoped for better. :laughing:

Call Leisure Pro. Do not order off the web. Call them and I always get a cheaper price.

I'll sell myour Analox CO for $150. I've tested my tanks at homa couple of times but never taken it on a trip. Ot looks just like my Analox O2, but is red. PM me if interested.

I've tested my tanks at homa couple of times but never taken it on a trip.
Wow, why not? The air quality situation at many destinations will improve only if they know that some of us are checking - and will name names when we find bad tanks. But if you don't test, you never know what you're getting.

Back
Top Bottom