Carbon Monoxide tank risks and protections….

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there Dandy Don!

My wife and I dive nitrox only since we were EAN certified two years ago. I haven't seen any distinction in this thread regarding air vs. nitrox fills. Is there any reason to believe nitrox fills would be less likely to contain elevated levels of CO?

Happy Diving!
Not particularly. If the Nitrox is produced with a membrane system, then the same possible sources can exist. If blended, one might expect that O2 introduced would then dilute any CO tainted air that might be mixed with it lowering a possible CO threat, but it just doesn't take much to make a diver ill under pressure or worse. The cave diver who died in Cozumel last year was on Nitrox and not even very deep.

At least you can justify the expense of owning or renting an analyzer for two divers. :wink: You wouldn't dive an untested, unmarked Nitrox tank would you? If you're interested in buying both analyzers, this guy found a pretty good deal on the two: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/analox-analysers/414979-best-deal-new-post.html

I haven't seen any distinction in this thread regarding air vs. nitrox fills. Is there any reason to believe nitrox fills would be less likely to contain elevated levels of CO?
Makes no difference what type of gas is being pumped. In our case of CO contamination I believe everyone was diving Nitrox. The CO was induced by a compressor failure, not from exhaust or another source.

Does anyone know if Analox or other company is planning to introduce a two-in-one CO & O2 analyzer? I like the idea of testing for CO but would be nice to consolidate the two and not have another thing to carry around.

Robert

Does anyone know if Analox or other company is planning to introduce a two-in-one CO & O2 analyzer? I like the idea of testing for CO but would be nice to consolidate the two and not have another thing to carry around.
That idea comes up from time to time, reminding me how when answering machines were common and could be combined with a portable phone base - I always kept them separate so I'd only have one break down at a time and in need of replacement. It would require two sensors of course, separate settings, etc. They might but I don't see it.

You can special order low range analyzers at some manufacturers that can deal with 2 gases, your choice, but it's pricey. I think someone found an O2-CO combined unit on another thread, but it was larger that the Pelican box I carry my two sensors in and cost more.

For the best deal on the 2 units, you might look at this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/analox-analysers/414979-best-deal-new-post.html

Don, I'm going to have to give you a commission with all the work you're doing :D

But, seriously, I hats off to you for taking up such a good cause and looking out for everyone. I've been a diver for years myself and never really thought about CO or knew a tester existed until DandyDon asked me to help out.

A combo CO/O2 would be nice - maybe the same kind of pressure on Analox getting the CO re-released would work again. I'll do my part and contact them also.

Don, I'm going to have to give you a commission with all the work you're doing :D

But, seriously, I hats off to you for taking up such a good cause and looking out for everyone. I've been a diver for years myself and never really thought about CO or knew a tester existed until DandyDon asked me to help out.

A combo CO/O2 would be nice - maybe the same kind of pressure on Analox getting the CO re-released would work again. I'll do my part and contact them also.
:laughing: I only hope you get enough rental business to justify you offering the CO units, and at such a low rental rate. I'll be renting a PLB & canister this summer for my trip to Coz, but a lot of divers are into other outdoor sports as well and I hope some of them look at your other offerings.

I get accused of being a commissioned contractor for Analox CO analyzers from time to time. I hope they sell enough to make a reasonable profit and keep their prices low, but I don't care which CO unit buyers select. I just like the Analox best.

For those who are contemplating buying/renting a CO monitor and want to offset some of your costs. Just let people know that you will be happy to check their cylinders in exchange for a beer after the dive. Seems like a fair exchange except if it is cattle boat and everyones buy you a beer :))))

Props to DD and OERentals ...

Another idea for folks to consider. CO analyzers in some ways are like avalanche beacons. Expensive but really a necessary piece of kit. I know last fall diveaddicts.com put together a group buy on the analyzers for just under $300. Folks got a good deal and they made a some new customers. BITD we did the same for avy beacons. Although many stores fore went their usual profit margins just to get the cost down so people would buy them. Not sure that would happen with todays competition but the groups buys are certainly still an option.

I use a BC flow restrictor (2-4 lpm) with my OxyCheq O2 analyser. Will any of the available CO units work with this hose or something like it?
Expedition BC Flow Restrictor with Cap : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment
I think the same brand CO analyer will: OxyCheq Expedition Carbon Monoxide Analyzer w/ Alarm : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment altho I think you can do better on price. He found it for $319: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/414866-competition-co-analyzer-market.html

I also think the ToxiRAE 3 can accommodate your set up, and it is available for less than $200.

Back
Top Bottom