Career Change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dogtooth

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi! I'm looking to get into diving as a career. It's been some time since I got my Open Water Cert(high school--now 44yrs old). I'm not silly enough to think it will be as easy as it sounds but I am pretty focused on this idea and want to pursue it vigorously. I've been thinking about this for a few years now and I think I am ready to take the plunge. I am fortunate to live close to Mermet Scuba here in Southern Illinois so I have the facilities and staff to get any training I might need. I just need to know the best course of action to follow to work in this field. Should I work as an apprentice for a while or are there other options out there that I don't know about. I would be very interested in working in the tourism industry side of it but wouldn't rule out other diving jobs. I am not presently certified but am going to start soon and take whatever other training I can to learn all I can about every aspect of diving. I understand that experience cannot be taught in the classroom but that is where i must start the process. Any help would be much appreciated.

OK - this get's asked about every week. Feel free to seach on the words "career" or "job" here.

You should also note that taking a vow of poverty now is a good start.

Q: What's the difference between a pizza and a scuba instructor?

A: A pizza can feed a family of four.

:d

LOL I used to say the same about farming. Thanks for the reply, I'm sure there are a lot of other people out there looking for the "glamorous" life of living in the tropics doing what they love to do. They don't think about waking up with sand in your bed or the bugs or the actual WORK involved--or the lack of $$$! But, as it is, I'm pretty broke already so a change of environment is what I'm looking for!

What do you bring to the table that is better than 99% of everyone on this forum?

Forgive me if that sounds snide, but it isn't meant to be. It is trying to get you to think about all of your net talents that will give you an "in"; because knowing how to dive isn't the critical skill, something else will be the means of getting into the dive business.

Do you have a captains license? What size vessel?
Are you a top-notch diesel/small engine mechanice with a wide range of experience?
Can you fix anything, including compressors?
Do you have a post-graduate degree in: archaeology, environmental science, marine biology, marine engineering?
Were you a navy diver? Not a SEAL, but one of the working stiffs that maintained underwater structures and vessel?
Do you have a post-graduate degree in any subject so you can go to a variety of colleges and work to figure out how to start a SCUBA program?
Do you know someone who will hire you outright? It is often who not what you know.
How rich are you? How long can you last without earning enough to eat three meals a day?
How are you at writing grants, so you can get the money from the government (or private funding if you can sell it) to fund a viable research endeavor? Heck, if you are good at getting grant money, you're golden for alot of schools. They will find reasons to keep you around.

Not deal breakers, but food for thought.

Divemaster and Instructor --then work your way around the world, from resort to resort, for a year or two . . . (I wish I could've done that myself right out of college).

Hyperbaric Technologist with Board Certification, as a better more profitable career change. That's my back-up plan should I ever be laid-off (again) from my aerospace job. . .

Tourism(SP?) is in the dumps right now! I saw a article yesterday stating Hawaii lost $92 million in the first 3 months of 09'. I dont know any island, resort, cruise ship whos sales are up! So right now wouldnt be the best time to embark on this adventure.

First off, I have spent 20 years in diving and never worked a day of it. Follow your goals. find a VERY good Instructor Trainer/Course Director that has actually done what you want to do and go for it. As for the work part, its not work if you like what you do and where you do it.

What do you bring to the table that is better than 99% of everyone on this forum?

Forgive me if that sounds snide, but it isn't meant to be. It is trying to get you to think about all of your net talents that will give you an "in"; because knowing how to dive isn't the critical skill, something else will be the means of getting into the dive business.

Do you have a captains license? What size vessel?
Are you a top-notch diesel/small engine mechanice with a wide range of experience?
Can you fix anything, including compressors?
Do you have a post-graduate degree in: archaeology, environmental science, marine biology, marine engineering?
Were you a navy diver? Not a SEAL, but one of the working stiffs that maintained underwater structures and vessel?
Do you have a post-graduate degree in any subject so you can go to a variety of colleges and work to figure out how to start a SCUBA program?
Do you know someone who will hire you outright? It is often who not what you know.
How rich are you? How long can you last without earning enough to eat three meals a day?
How are you at writing grants, so you can get the money from the government (or private funding if you can sell it) to fund a viable research endeavor? Heck, if you are good at getting grant money, you're golden for alot of schools. They will find reasons to keep you around.

Not deal breakers, but food for thought.
Excellent post - since this question gets asked weekly, often by brand new divers, or those not yet certified, it should be a "stickey"

Good points all - read and reflect on all

Diving is often a very low paid career; I always thought it better to be the diver vs the one who worked in the industry - I have enough experience over the past 30 years to know how hard those in the industry worked, under often poor conditions, for ver little money

I love diving - and came to the conclusion many years ago the that quickest way to turn something I love into something I dod not was make my favorite hobby my lifes work.

Can you do it? Sure, but you are loooking at an expenditure of lots of time and money (forget apprentiships - the industry is looking for those who already have the experience, skills and credentials to beging work now) before you can even be considered for employment.

Start with the search function - there are many posts on this subject.

I was thinking the same thing about the tourism part being down now, but sooner or later it will rebound. I just want to be ready when it does. Thanks for the realistic opinion though. I'm not looking at it through rose colored glasses by any means.

I appreciate all your thoughts on the subject! When it gets right down to it, it is like any other occupation/career. What you bring to the table, besides the basic requirements, is what makes or breaks you! I may pick your brain from time to time if you don't mind!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom