Caribbean - Where to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChrisEdwards

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I just found out I'm getting a pretty good refund from the IRS, so I'd like to take a little winter vacation between Christmas and New Years.

I've probably left it a little too late, but I need to get some good pointers before I start trying to book trips.

There will be four of us, the wife, my 13 year old son, my 11 year old daughter and myself.

My wife doesn't swim but is quite happy sitting on a beach or pool side doing knitting and other hand craft stuff as long as she can get those tropical drinks. My daughter snorkels but is not scuba certified yet, so beach snorkeling would be good.

My son and I are both newly certified.

So we need something kid/teenage friendly, diving in the 0-80 fsw range, we done our AOW as well.

We would be departing from Orlando.

Thanks.

I just did a trip report on my Barbados 2006 trip. Search for it and pm me if you have any questions. My second choice would be Bonaire....but that place is a bear to get into and out of.

Curacao would be my choice. There are several nice public dive/snorkel/hang out on the beach places in addition to the ones at the resorts. The diving is very easy but still very good, much like Boniare. AA flies there direct from MIA so getting there is easy. There are plenty of good restuarants and the water is safe to drink out of the tap. While my first choice is Bonaire, Curacao is a not too distant second.

I will have to keep that in mind Herman. I Expediated it and came up with $800 fares round trip. Any suggestions on getting that cost down?

Why is it that it seems the FARTHER the island ....the CHEAPER the flight? I only paid $550 round trip to Barbados. Yet to get to the Bahamas I am seeing close to $700. Interesting

chrisedwards,
would roatan be a consideration?
when i took my family there we stayed at anthony's key resort.
i was the only diver and everyone else enjoyed their holiday.
regards,

Rich, you can also hop a commuter on Curacao to Bonaire. Flying to Aruba and catching a commuter is also a possibility. Liz can help with the fares. Why the more distant the cheaper I have no idea....normal airline BS I guess. If you don't mind overnighters the Continental flights are pretty good. Leave RDU Fri evening to Huston and then a direct to Bonaire at 11pm, arriving at 6ish. I like the flights myself, gives me an extra day of diving.

smokey braden:
chrisedwards,
would roatan be a consideration?
when i took my family there we stayed at anthony's key resort.
i was the only diver and everyone else enjoyed their holiday.
regards,

I did a cruise a few years ago and they did a one day stop at a private beach in Roatan.

This day alone is why I'm now scuba diving. But with that said, all we saw was extreme poverty, a twenty minute bus ride and then a day on a beach paradise.

I've looked at Anthony's Key and it looks ideal, thanks.

Provodenciales in the Turks and Caicos might be a consideration I think there is a direct out of Ft. Lauderdale to there. Curacao was great, my wife and I just got back from there, we stayed at the Marriott, good beach, good diving, good snorkling, great foo-foo drinks, swim up bar. Use http://www.the-dive-bus.com/ for arranging for anything but house reef dives. My complete report on the Curacao trip is at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=162698 enjoy!

Mike

You should be able to fly to the Bahamas from West Palm or Fort L for 250$ or less.

Try Freeport or New Providence(Stuart Coves dive-shark feed!) Bahamas, Roatan, Belize, Cozume or Isla Mujeres, MX

rex...that may be true....but i have to GET to WP or FL first and that aint free. When i fly it is out of RDU ... Raleigh, NC .... so there is a leg to somewhere before the final leg to the destination.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom