Carl D. Bradley bell recovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Two Minnesota divers make Lake Michigan history

Two Minnesota divers made history when they visited the site of a Lake Michigan shipwreck that claimed 33 lives.

By Lora Pabst, Star Tribune

Last update: November 20, 2007 – 9:47 PM

After two local divers, John Janzen and John Scoles, met the last remaining survivor of a 1950s Lake Michigan shipwreck, they knew they had to dive to the site about 370 feet below the surface.

In 2004 at a diving and shipwreck show in Minneapolis, Janzen of Champlin and Scoles of Farmington met Frank Mays, who was 26 when the freighter Carl D. Bradley sank on Nov. 18, 1958.

"For me, it was meeting Frank that really was the inspiration," Janzen said.

This August, Scoles and Janzen retrieved the ship's original bell and replaced it with an honorary bell engraved with the names of the 33 crew members who died. Most of the sailors were from the ship's home port of Rogers City, Mich.

"The main reason we did it is for the family members, hoping it would bring some comfort and closure," Scoles said.

Mays, who now lives in Florida, was one of only two people who survived by clinging to a lifeboat during the storm that claimed the ship. He has gone out on Lake Michigan with Scoles and Janzen on several of their dives, including the most recent one when they retrieved the bell.

"I hadn't seen the bell in 49 years and all of a sudden, it pops up," Mays said. "I thought it would never happen after the Bradley went down."

For the divers, exploring the Carl D. Bradley wreck is not a responsibility they take lightly. Few people have been to the site because of its depth. After seeking permission from Michigan government agencies, Scoles and Janzen became the first divers to reach the stern of the wreck.

"It's easily the most rewarding thing I've done and the most stressful because there were a lot of things that could have gone wrong," Janzen said. "I didn't want to lose the bell because that would be blasphemous. If you drop it, it's gone."

The two divers planned how to retrieve the bell for several months, including creating their own portable battery system to operate the underwater torch needed to detach the bell and doing several practice dives in Wisconsin's Wazee Lake. They did separate dives to remove the original bell and attach the replacement bell.

"The bell is the soul of the ship," Scoles said. "You can't just take the real bell off the ship and not put anything back."

The original bell was given to the Great Lakes Lore Maritime Museum in Rogers City, where the director, David Erickson, restored it and will ring it for the first time at the 50th anniversary of the sinking next year. He said some family members of the Bradley crew still live in Rogers City.

"It's home is here in Rogers City where all the families of the crew members live," he said. "It's 50 years ago, but there are still a lot of them who lost fathers and brothers. It's just like it happened yesterday."

Janzen and Scoles agreed to dive mainly around the outside of the 600-plus-foot ship and enter only a few designated rooms -- out of respect for the crew members' remains likely still in the wreck.

Mays said he is glad other people are interested in preserving the history of the ship. He wrote a book, "If We Make It 'Til Daylight," that documents his experience the night of the shipwreck.

"What happened that night, every detail, is burned in my mind," he said. "I'll never forget it."

He said he was glad that Janzen and Scoles were able to bring up the bell so the crew members' families could have a memorial to the lost sailors.

"It's the ship that time forgot, and it's about time it's brought back into being," Mays said.

Lora Pabst • lpabst@startribune.com

Two Minnesota divers make Lake Michigan history

well they got a permit?
This testosterone ego driven artifact striping wrecks needs to stop,too bad so sad!
Replacing it big deal, it belongs on the ship not in some museum,
tell me for what?at that depth I am sure it would of been left alone for a long time
just goes to prove me wrong that new great lake divers can take only photos!
And I can see why so many sites are kept hush and will stay that way cause of goofs like this!

well they got a permit?
This testosterone ego driven artifact striping wrecks needs to stop,too bad so sad!
Replacing it big deal, it belongs on the ship not in some museum,
tell me for what?at that depth I am sure it would of been left alone for a long time
just goes to prove me wrong that new great lake divers can take only photos!
And I can see why so many sites are kept hush and will stay that way cause of goofs like this!

Your statement is so ignorant it doesn't deserve a reply. This recovery has been done in the right way for the right reasons and meant a lot not only to Frank Mays (only living survivor) but also to the families of the deceased crew. When they remember these brave sailors every year and are able to ring the actual bell, the significance is huge. The same holds true for the Fitz.

Your statement is so ignorant it doesn't deserve a reply. This recovery has been done in the right way for the right reasons and meant a lot not only to Frank Mays (only living survivor) but also to the families of the deceased crew. When they remember these brave sailors every year and are able to ring the actual bell, the significance is huge. The same holds true for the Fitz.

I am very much in favor of preserving shipwrecks for the future. There are certain items though that done correctly should be recovered. I think that recovering the bell was the correct thing to do and was done in a responable manner. Congrats on a job well done and I will be looking forward to viewing the bell in Rogers City. I am sure the people of Rogers City appreciate the tribute to the lost sailors.

Your statement is so ignorant it doesn't deserve a reply.

But you did!!! GOT YA!!
Ok now lets go to the cemetery and strip the head stones and drag them elsewhere!

some one can always reason its the right thing and some can reason its wrong!

Its wrong that the state and governing authorities allow this foolish desecration acts to still proceed today,and to all involved I hope it gives them a testosterone Narcosis high!
The Fitz that's another rocket scientist move all for the the survivors. give them the money from the ticket sales if its such a right thing.After these so called museums shutter were do these artifacts end up?

IMO leave them lay in all rights these are grave sites all of them !
Brad

But you did!!! GOT YA!!
Ok now lets go to the cemetery and strip the head stones and drag them elsewhere!

some one can always reason its the right thing and some can reason its wrong!

Its wrong that the state and governing authorities allow this foolish desecration acts to still proceed today,and to all involved I hope it gives them a testosterone Narcosis high!
The Fitz that's another rocket scientist move all for the the survivors. give them the money from the ticket sales if its such a right thing.After these so called museums shutter were do these artifacts end up?

IMO leave them lay in all rights these are grave sites all of them !
Brad

"Got ya"? You haven't got a clue. The divers in question were contracted by the museum in Rogers City (with the permission of the state) to bring up the bell for next years 50th anniversary of the sinking. There was a new bell engraved with the names of all of the men lost, mounted in it's place. Knowing a couple of the key players, and having met a couple of the others involved in this difficult task, these are some pretty humble unassuming guys considering some of the dives they do and things they have accomplished. Unlike some who "re-found" a wreck in 40 ft of water a couple years back, they are not ego driven as you put it, and didn't have to announce their accomplishments to every diving forum around. All divers used the proper gasses for the dive, so there was little to no nitorgen narcosis. Some day if you get the stones (and some good training), you can make it down to the Bradley and see the new bell, and then visit the museum to see the original bell. If you can't make it, I suggest buying the video instead of personally taking pictures. Right? Wrong? I don't know, but it was done with respect for the memory of the lost crew, and now the bell will be there for ALL to see and remember.

Kudos to all those involved. I see it as a fitting tribute to the sailors who lost their lives & the loved ones who lost their father/son/brother etc.

Ps, where can the video be found?

For what it is worth
The Sailor's and thier families deseve something. The bell is an awsome and inspiring object. To hear the same bell a loved one heard is a connection to them.

Desacrating a grave yard- is an act of total disrespect. Yet it is done all the time. (What makes Tut's tomb any diffrent than these Sailors?)

With that said,
Removing the bell and replacing it with on with the names on it, is completely the right thing to do. Honor the dead. Protect the rest of the site.

This is an area we will need to agree to disagree.

Back
Top Bottom