Carl D. Bradley bell recovered

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a grave yard those burried have their names engraved on a headstone and so are not forgotten. Of those who died on the Pewabic, how many can be named by any who have dove that wreck?

IMHO, I believe that those who will follow may treat the site with more respect if the deads names are known. I think it is fitting. Although the sense of taking the time to read 20 some names at 350' + is questionable, I'm sure it will be done as equipment and techniques improve. Maybe a program approving how and where plaques may be placed on other death ships would be appropriate as well. Anything that adds to the understanding and history of a wreck adds to the dive itself.

As A Mariner by trade, I think that raising the bell and replacing it with one with the names on it is the right thing to do.

I know that if one of my ships were to go down, I would want my families to have some sort of connection to me even If it is only something from my ship.

Well Matt at least I am old enough not to be calling others names or judging their knowledge.
Quote,
[You haven't got a clue.]

Quote,
[Unlike some who "re-found" a wreck in 40 ft of water a couple years back],
more like 50fsw+ but a non dive to a tec diver I guess!

Matt I doubt in your life time you will ever locate, or positively identify any ship wreck in the Great lakes! I personally have met and talked to several different Great Lake wreckers & divers who claim the find of the S.S. Milwaukee more closer to home or your network the Tennie and Laura and so on NBD.

Quote,
[ Some day if you get the stones]
Matt Uhm dude is this a part relating to the male anatomy that make testosterone??
you said it not me!

I am not going to generalize on this because on my boat I have met and dove with many great and knowledgeable technical divers that are not ego driven and have the knowledge of many styles of early shipping and designs & archaeology and the same feelings I have on site preservation and marine design and have the privilege to dive some of the more pristine sites in deeper waters in the Great lakes

Quote,
visit the museum to see the original bell.

Nope I don't get into late steel give me the old wood wrecks any day and to see it just would make me feel sad

Quote,
If you can't make it, I suggest buying the video

Wow you hit it on the head with video and multi media today,new lighting and video equipment why cant we just take the photos and video and do some great presentations thru a display or theater for as you say ALL to see.

IMO if there is imminent perill to a artifact or location yes I would opt for preservation done properly,Its just hard IMO if we are to protect these sites we need to draw a line in the lake bottom sand and preserve all sites or let it be a free for all! first the bell and next the ships wheel or the anchor for the museums front lawn all done for one or another good thing in one persons mind.

I have seen too many front lawns,dive shops,basements and even small and large maritime museums all with good intentions with artifacts displayed and artifacts salvaged when it was legal that the name tags are gone relating to the ship! or just piled up rotting away! will any thing left when my sons splash some day?how do I preach to take video and photos for memories and not to take items ?

Last I think a plaque in memory of those who lost lives on the Bradley would of been great.

Not to get side tracked but IMO related,
Several years back I had the privilege to speak with several of the divers that worked this schooner & salvage and it was legal at the time and they all said if they could of done it over knowing what they know now they would of let the wreck lay peacefully in the waters of Green Bay and she would still be pristine and well preserved gone forever! see link
The Mystery Ship Alvin C. Clark

Just My opinion that's all,
Girls dive safe!
Brad

Well Matt at least I am old enough not to be calling others names or judging their knowledge.

Go back and read your previous posts if you think you didn't offend people by calling names (grammer aside). Nothing wrong with stating your opinion, but you don't have to be so offensive about it. You made judgements about the individuals involved as well as their intentions.

Quote,
[You haven't got a clue.]

Quote,
[Unlike some who "re-found" a wreck in 40 ft of water a couple years back],
more like 50fsw+ but a non dive to a tec diver I guess!

Matt I doubt in your life time you will ever locate, or positively identify any ship wreck in the Great lakes! I personally have met and talked to several different Great Lake wreckers & divers who claim the find of the S.S. Milwaukee more closer to home or your network the Tennie and Laura and so on NBD.

Quote,
[ Some day if you get the stones]
Matt Uhm dude is this a part relating to the male anatomy that make testosterone??
you said it not me!

I am not going to generalize on this because on my boat I have met and dove with many great and knowledgeable technical divers that are not ego driven and have the knowledge of many styles of early shipping and designs & archaeology and the same feelings I have on site preservation and marine design and have the privilege to dive some of the more pristine sites in deeper waters in the Great lakes

Quote,
visit the museum to see the original bell.

Nope I don't get into late steel give me the old wood wrecks any day and to see it just would make me feel sad

Quote,
If you can't make it, I suggest buying the video

Wow you hit it on the head with video and multi media today,new lighting and video equipment why cant we just take the photos and video and do some great presentations thru a display or theater for as you say ALL to see.

IMO if there is imminent perill to a artifact or location yes I would opt for preservation done properly,Its just hard IMO if we are to protect these sites we need to draw a line in the lake bottom sand and preserve all sites or let it be a free for all! first the bell and next the ships wheel or the anchor for the museums front lawn all done for one or another good thing in one persons mind.

I have seen too many front lawns,dive shops,basements and even small and large maritime museums all with good intentions with artifacts displayed and artifacts salvaged when it was legal that the name tags are gone relating to the ship! or just piled up rotting away! will any thing left when my sons splash some day?how do I preach to take video and photos for memories and not to take items ?

Last I think a plaque in memory of those who lost lives on the Bradley would of been great.

Not to get side tracked but IMO related,
Several years back I had the privilege to speak with several of the divers that worked this schooner & salvage and it was legal at the time and they all said if they could of done it over knowing what they know now they would of let the wreck lay peacefully in the waters of Green Bay and she would still be pristine and well preserved gone forever! see link
The Mystery Ship Alvin C. Clark

Just My opinion that's all,
Girls dive safe!
Brad
While I personally am not looking to find any new wrecks ( I prefer to spend my spare time diving instead of looking for broken up wrecks in shallow water), I judge your knowledge based on this post, and others you have put out there in the past re: wrecks, diving in general, and gear. I have also spoken at length with 1 of the salvors of the Clark, and although it is truly a sad story, this is hardly the same thing. So while I don't agree to disagree, I DO disagree. Preach somewhere else, and I heard that one of your local dive shops was having a sale on clues......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom