Carp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bream is a pretty generic term, I have seen it used to describe many different genuses of fish depending on the country. In parts of Africa, cichlids are reffered to as bream.

DAAquamaster, from the research I have heard, Carp do not directly compete with the game fish that we eat, but instead, compete with the microorganisms that many fry of game fish forage upon.

JustinW:
Bream is a pretty generic term, I have seen it used to describe many different genuses of fish depending on the country. In parts of Africa, cichlids are reffered to as bream.

DAAquamaster, from the research I have heard, Carp do not directly compete with the game fish that we eat, but instead, compete with the microorganisms that many fry of game fish forage upon.

Carp are omnivores and will catch small fish, eggs of other fish, and anything plant or animal that are dead. There are some species of asian carp that are only plant eaters, but most of the european carp, that we have in south, will eat almost anything when they grow 20 or 30 lbs.

Speaking on behalf of the RedNeck's aka Hillbilly population here in SouthWest Missouri. And growing up on a diet rich in local Wildlife and fish. I can tell you that Carp can be just as good as about any other local fish. If cleaned and prepared properly. We would always carefully cut out the "Mud Streaks" if any that we found before then washing the meat through at least two and even three soakings of fresh clear spring water after cleaning them. Soak the meat in a little Buttermilk for a minute or so before dredging them through a mixture of Flour and White corn meal then deep fry them to a golden brown in a hot Cast Iron Skillet. Serve up a mess of Morell Mushrooms if you know where to find them? (Mushrooming spots are guarded more closely than secret fishing holes around here.)
Spawning season for Carp and Sucker runs around the same time as Mushroom season does, unless we have an unusally cold stubborn winter.

Grandma used to pressure cook Carp and Sucker's too, and put them up by canning them in quart jars to be eaten year round in fried patties and such.

During spring spawning runs here, we...(Meaning my Grandpa, Dad and Brother) We used to Gig them, Snag 'em or Grab 'em and my Brother and I even spear fished for them.
I once witnessed my Grandpa wading along in the current of a creek in water just over waist deep, picking over a dozen spawning 15-20 lb carp from their beds and just pitching them out onto the bank. One other thing Grandma used to insist upon was that we save the fish water and heads from cleaning our catches. The heads they buried in their garden along with their planted corn and the water was used to water their Cucumber plants. They always had one of the prettiest gardens around.
I guess now that I have given away the fact that I am in fact a true, born and bred Ozark County Missouri Hillbilly. I may as well let you know that Pepper baked Racoon also makes a great Sunday dinner entree' around our family as well......Just pass the cornbread and Polk Salad along with it.......MMm mmmmm

Rat314! My long lost brother! Where art thou?! (Love that movie!)
Sounds just like my upbringing!
For those of you who have never seen a Morel mushroom, I happen to have a pic:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom