Carrying Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"IMHO", a wreck diver should never separate himself from his ascent gas.
Read "The Last Dive" both the author who suffered a major bends case and the two Chris's who died, on the "U Who"
separated themselves from their deco gas, and didn't make it back to it.

Mike D
:blfish:

If you are scootering, you can clip one of the stages on the D ring on your belt so that it follows behind the one clipped to the shoulder and belt. It helps streamline and you can replace it where it was when you deco.

Robert:doctor:

First, there is a difference between STAGE bottles and DECO bottles. A stage bottle contains gas, either bottom mix if running a "flat" profile like an openwater wreck dive or constant-depth cave dive, or a depth-appropriate gas for cave, where you may need to travel for a distance in or out at a depth different than the maximum depth (then it technically becomes a deco gas as well).

In any case, I frequently interchange these terms as well, but thought it should be brought up.

In regard to dropping bottles - if it is a stage bottle, well, that would be dropped in a cave at the point you don't need it anymore on the way in (either change in depth, or at a point where gas calcs dictate its drop). Since you are coming out the same way when using a stage, it will be there waiting for you to grab on the way out. If using a stage in openwater, you typically breath it down, saving your backgas, and then end your dive when the bottle bottoms out (or when your total gas psi dictates you turn the dive).

Deco bottles can be carried or deposited, depending on the environment and situation. First, you should never, ever, ever hang bottles underneath the boat. I don't care if it is primary or "backup/reserve" gas, hanging extra crap under the boat causes problems. If it is your primary gas, that is just plain dangerous, no matter how you try and validate it.
If something happens inwater, you may need to expedite your ascent and might miss the anchor line. Or, the boat may break away (along with your deco gas). If an emergency arises topside (or if the boat breaks loose), it takes that much longer for the boat crew to clear the boat so they can move to pick up a diver, etc. If it is a big boat and they miss someone's gear line and deco bottle, you can guess what will happen to the boat's screws when it is put in gear.
Even if they catch everything, you prolong an emergency response and "trap" the boat.

Personally, my deco bottles generally stay on me unless I am doing some tight penetrations or have some project that requires working. A lot of times I keep them on me as I am just too lazy to take the time to unclip/clip the bastards. I have even done penetrations (really swim-thrus) with them as most times there is plenty of room to move around and if entangled, 99% of the time it will be on the valve or SPG which is right under your nose and easy to rectify.

The Rouse incident is not really appropriate to use as an all-around example. First, they were seriously impaired due to the use of air and heavy exertion. Personally, if I was doing a penetration like that (and I have on other U-boats and wrecks), I would deposit the bottles right at the point of entry, so you would pass over them on your exit and not be forced to swim back to the anchor line or guess where they are if disoriented. Also, I would clip the bottles together so I would only need to grab one clip to secure them to myself. This allows you to expedite your ascent should the fit hit the shan.

Anyway, just some thoughts...
Mike

diverberr once bubbled...

I agree with your definition of stage bottles. That's why i prefer the term side mount or wing tank. I don't dive caves so I don't stage mine. .

The term sidemount if a totally different animal where you wear your back gas on your sides as independents as opposed to doubles on your back. If you ever get around any cave divers they won't have any clue what you are talking about.

It's always nice to keep terms in their context

Divesherpa once bubbled...

The term sidemount if a totally different animal where you wear your back gas on your sides as independents as opposed to doubles on your back. If you ever get around any cave divers they won't have any clue what you are talking about.

It's always nice to keep terms in their context

As I stated earlier in this thread, I'm not a cave diver. We refer to our deco gas bottles as side mounts. I'm aware of the rig known as sidemounting for caving, but as most of the divers I dive with are wreckers, it's never been an issue before.

Thanks for pointing it out though, as there are many cave divers on this forum. And it is always nice to keep things clear.

Al.

:jester:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom