Casting lead weights---Lessons learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparkySFD

Reaction score
Been wanting to make my own weights and here is some things Ive learned.

FIRST SAFETY MUST BE UTMOST ON YOUR MIND! ALWAYS DO THIS OUTSIDE! WATCH FOR SPATTER! USE HEAVY LEATHER GLOVES AND PROTECTIVE CLOTHING! A FAN TO ENSURE FUMES ARE BLOWN AWAY FROM YOU IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED! A FACE SHIELD IS ALSO RECOMMENDED! NEVER REUSE A POT OR UTENSIL AFTER MELTING LEAD IN IT, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO CLEAN! USE COMMON SENSE OR YOU CAN BE SERIOUSLY HURT!

That being said, its not that big a deal. Use some common sense and precautions and its safe and kind of a fun project.

Im convinced that old tire balancing weights are the best way to go. They have an alloy in them that makes them harder than pure lead. Which is a good thing. Pretty much where there are people there are cars and balance weights. Most shops will give them to you for free and thank you for taking them. I went to a shop and walked away with a five gallon bucket full and can go back and get all I want. Take your own bucket. Also fill about half the bucket, even then its quite heavy.

Learned this trick from a guy that does quite a bit of melting lead. Get a couple of feet of scrap angle iron. I cut a piece about 18" long and welded a foot on one end and two legs on the other end. The end with two legs is elevated slightly higher than the end with one leg.

I use a MAPP torch because I have one and its hotter (faster). But a propane torch will work fine. You can buy one at almost any hardware or home center for about $10 plus a $3 bottle of fuel. You use this thing to clean up the lead wheel weights. You place the weight in the angle iron channel and melt it with a torch. The lead will run down the angle iron into a hot pot. I bought one on ebay, but you can buy them new at Bass Pro Shops for around $40. Once in the Hot Pot you can skim off what little slag is in there. Most of the junk is left in the angle iron.

Ive been told beeswax or canning wax dropped (carefully) into the hotpot will make the skimming much easier and effiecient. Will smoke some.

Also heat mold up very good. This way the lead will flow better and make a better finished product.

Dont bang weight out. I broke my first mold doing this. Thats going to cost me $20. But Ive since found a mold I like better for $10. Ive read about using a release agent but havent tried it yet. Will try next and post results.

SparkySFD:
Been wanting to make my own weights and here is some things Ive learned.

It's been a long time since I've seen a weight mold in a dive shop. You are reviving a lost art.

and have been thinking about casting weights, but I have so many around right now so I don't need to.

I use wheel weights for my bullets. The wax helps get out the impurities but make sure you don't breathe the fumes. One thing I do to make my bullets harder is to drop them from the mold directly into water. The quenching is supposed to harden them.

I cast from several hundred to a few thousand pounds a year. I've been casting lead, and other metals, in one form or another for about 40 years

I wrote this up for Diverlink a while back
----------------------------
A cast iron pot will work well, or even heavy aluminum pots if you are only doing one melt & can keep the bottom covered with molten lead. An old propane tank properly cleaned and sectioned also makes a pretty reasonable large capacity low cost pot. Anything used to help with the melting process, as well as the melt pot, should be relegated to that use permanently! It is not possible to clean a pan used to melt lead well enough to ever cook food in it again! The same applies with skimming tools and ladles. Even if they should look clean, the traces left behind are highly toxic and can cause permanent damage to your brain and other organs. Soup ladles, or tomato cans with a pair of vise grips serving as handles are good to handle the molten lead from the pot to the mold. A “standard" soup ladle holds about 3 pounds of lead. A “large” Tomato sauce can will hold about 12 pounds before it gets difficult to control. If pouring more than 12 pounds in a single shot make a bottom drop pot.

You can make molds from dry hardwood, an aluminum or steel cookie sheet with four side walls (if all you want is sheet), dry sand, or even plaster of paris if you bake it good and dry before adding the lead. Production molds are generally machined or cast aluminum, steel, or gray cast iron. If making a mold you intend to re-use allow for about 1.5° draft to get the lead out of the mold. Global Manufacturing makes semi-commercial molds at a reasonable price. No matter what you use as a mold, giving it a good coating of dry film graphite or molydisulphide will make it a lot easier to get the lead separated from the mold. Separating the lead from the mold should be done as soon after it fully hardens as practical to minimize difficulties “knocking out.” Silicone spray also works as a mold release agent, but burned silicone smells bad and the odor lingers on/in the weights for years.
Cast weights for the pocket style neoprene belts will be almost exactly half the size of shot weights for the same weight. Remember that smaller size = less drag.
Any stove, including some camping stoves, should be able to generate enough heat to melt the lead, which takes approximately 500 -700 degrees Fahrenheit. The “lighter" the lead (i.e more tin in the mix) the lower the melt point. Pure lead melts about 720°F. Solder, which is ~40% tin, melts at about 500°F. The "cajun cookers" are great heat sources for melting lead, plus once you're through doing the lead you can use the burner to fry turkeys and boil crabs, lobster, or mudbugs!

In any case always melt outside with good ventilation.

Lead sources:
1. Tire stores. The weights used to balance wheels are a lead-tin alloy and contain about 5 - 8 % antimony, which is a hardening agent, The result is castings which are much harder and more durable than lead or a lead- tin alloy. Most tire shops don't reuse wheel weights and will be happy to give you all you want as it usually costs them to have the weights taken away. They melt and cast well but the steel clips can be problematic to remove. The easiest and best way to remove them from the pot is with a magnet. The steel will float on the top of the molten lead and can be removed clean by using an old speaker magnet or any other magnet strong enough. Try to keep the lead dross (the other stuff floating on top of the lead) separate from the clips. The clips can be recycled as steel, but only if there is no lead mixed in with it. Wheel weights normally melt between 500 and 600 degrees F.
2. Hospitals. Hospitals often use radioactive tracers or drugs. These are shipped in virgin lead containers often weighing several pounds or kilograms each, and there are other protective parts to disposable delivery equipment that are also made of virgin lead. If you just need a few pounds (50 or less) contact your local hospital's radiology labs and offer to take the "trash" out. If they balk, you may even have to offer them a few $. This lead melts around 600-700 F (the highest melting point of the lot.)
3. Shooting ranges. This lead recovery is a lot of work. There is usually a lot of brass and copper to be cleaned from the spent projectiles and the amount of dross is almost as much as the amount of lead you'll recover, but it's cheap.
4. Plumbing contractors. Roof flashing and old lead caulked sewer pipes are constantly being replaced and are normally available, as is the lead sheathing from buried telephone lines.
5. Scrap yards. Most metal recyclers will sell scrap lead for melting. It can be in any of the above forms, plus ingot, 5 lb. pigs, and sheet. Scrap yards will often charge you twice what you could get the lead for if you scrounged a bit yourself. As a gauge, expect to pay up to $.40/lb for scrap lead at a scrap yard depending on how clean it is and how much is needed. In over one ton lots the price should be down around $.15-.20/lb
6. NEVER melt down a lead-acid battery to get the lead out of it! Some of the alloying elements are deadly (cadmium and arsenic for example) and they will boil out of the molten metal at about the same point the lead melts. This is not a good thing even if you are melting in a high wind with lots of ventilation.
If you have a choice you want to get the highest weight to surface area ratio stuff you can find. Not only is lead oxide hard to reduce back to metallic lead unless you know exactly what you are doing, handling it is the most toxic part of the entire operation.

The following procedures should be strictly followed for your safety!
DO NOT VIOLATE THESE PROCEDURES AND WARNINGS!
1. Do the following in a very well ventilated area (read outdoors). A fan to blow the very toxic fumes of the melted lead and any impurities away from where you are breathing is strongly recommended. You do not want to breathe these fumes! Lead can cause permanent brain damage and is toxic. At the very least, stand upwind of the vapors and fumes.
2. Be certain that there is no moisture of any sort in the material you use. The pot, beeswax, and everything else must be perfectly dry. Any moisture in the pot will instantly turn to steam and explosively spatter molten lead everywhere! Treat this step lightly and you may bear nasty scars for the rest of your life.
3. Be absolutely certain that the mold is absolutely dry and free of grease, oil, moisture, etc.
4. Flux the lead for uniform results.
Fluxing is the adding of a material which helps the alloying metals mix together and to float impurities to the surface for removal. If you melt a lead alloy, you will see a silvery scum on the surface of the molten metal. This scum is lead oxide and tin. The flux will help the tin to recombine with the alloy and will cause the lead oxide to precipitate in an easily removed form. Beeswax is a commonly available fluxing agent, however there are other commercial fluxing agents usually available from bullet casting supply houses that do not smoke or flare as much. Almost any hydrocarbon with a high flash point will work for fluxing. Old frying grease, crankcase oil, parrafin, “axle grease”, lard, etc have been used with success. These lower flash point materials will ignite and flare! Never the less the low flash point materials will still function as a flux if you are working in an area with nothing flammable overhead where the flame can be tolerated. With beeswax, about 1/4 teaspoon stirred into a 20 pound pot is all that is needed to clean up the alloy for pouring, although it will smoke a lot! Repeat fluxing and skimming until the mix is clean.
5. Add about a pound of 50/50 or 60/40 solder per 50 pounds of pure lead to have some tin in the alloy. This will allow it to flow more easily and fill the mold uniformly. The target here is 1% to 1.5% tin in the final alloy. More than that simply adds cost and lowers the melting point without giving any flow or strength advantage. Wheel weights generally start with enough tin. Sheathing and shielding don't.
6. Pre heat the mold by dipping a corner of it in the molten lead if the mold is small, or by filling a larger open mold very slowly. The first shot or two out of any mold will generally go back in the pot as a mold preheater with an incomplete fill. The preheating process provides two advantages. The first thing it does is slow down the set process to allow a more complete mold fill and better surface finish on the cast weight. The second thing it does is raise the mold temperature slowly to above boiling point, thus ensuring a dry mold.
7. Wear eye protection, goggles or a full face shield.
8. Wear a breath shield or mask, the thicker or more effective, the better. You could even breathe from your regulator and tank if the hose will reach.
9. Wear thick gloves, heavy welding gloves are best
10. Wear heatproof clothing. Heavy cotton absorbs sweat that will quench most small splashes before it reaches skin. NEVER wear synthetic fabrics, other than kevlar, when doing any hot metal operation! Any splashes, spatter or slag will melt the clothes and bond the hot metal to your skin for a REALLY nasty burn. Peeling off the melted plastic usually takes the hide with it!
11. Be aware that if the molten lead spatters or spills, it will stick to your skin and/or clothes and can cause some nasty burns.
Watch your heat! Lead, and the alloying elements in it, all have a vapor pressure once you get them molten, and the hotter the melt the higher the vapor pressure. The high vapor pressure of the alloying elements in batteries is the primary reason to let the big smelters deal with recycling them. As a rule of thumb, you want to pour lead as close to the melting point as you can, without having it set on you before you get the mold full.
Another rule of thumb is that when stirring the pot you should use a dry pine stick. If the pine stick chars to black in a few seconds, or if it ignites, the pot is too hot. Either turn off the heat or add a bit of cold lead, the faster method of the two, which will get it cooled down fast.
Boiling lead is not a good thing! If the top of the pot starts to turn yellow or gold you have the same problem of a pot that is overheated.
Remember that even after the lead hardens it is still around 500F and will remove skin if you touch it too soon. Good leather gloves are a must.

A final note: Lead dross is the stuff you skim off the top of the pot. The steel of the wheel weight clips can be recycled. The rest of it can be incorporated in a marker buoy weight by mixing it with cement and using the lead dross as the aggregate. Lead dross of any amount is NOT to be discarded as trash in the US. If you can't use it as ballast in another project, you are required to ship it to one ofthe metal smelters for reuse. That shipment is expensive as it has to go as a hazardous material. Metallic lead is dangerous if it splashes on you or hits you at high velocity. Dross is just plain nasty biologically. Dross encased in cement is rendered relatively harmless.

I have cast bullets for about 20 years for my 45 ACP as well as various muzzle loaders and precussion pistols and most recently a .54 caliber paper cartridge 1859 Sharps Infantry Rifle.

Weel weights work ok for most applications that do not require the bullet to expand greatly into the bore (like a round ball or minie ball for a muzzleloader). Ading 1% tin to wheel weight metal will allow the metal to flow better and will eliminate wrinkes and imperfections in the bullets.

I have however never seen the need for this in a scuba weight as they are not exactly what you would call precision items. Wheel weights are already hard ue to the 3 to 4% antimony that is included. You could temper them for additional hardness by dropping them into water and this works well for pistol and rifle bullets but is not required for a scuba weight. With pure lead it is a waste of time as hardening requires an alloy with 3-4 % antimony in it to be effective.

As an aside, for hunting with a large bore black powder rifle like a Sharps in .45-70, an alloy of 50% wheel weights(with 1% tin added to it) and 50% pure lead will produce bullets that are hard enough not to lead the bore at the achieveable velocities and yet ductile enough to give wonderful expansion in whatever unfortunate critter you hit.

If you are casting lead, do it outside as good ventilation is a must, especially if you are fluxing the metal with wax. Also be very careful never to get any water in the mold as the moisture will boil when molten lead is added blowing the lead back out of the mold at you.

The various run of the mill 5 lb scuba weight molds work very well and are relatively cheap at $20-$30 (I also use them to cast lead "ingots" that will eventually be turned into bullets.) Just be sure to drop the weight out of the mold just after the surface cools enough to harden. If you let it get too cool, it will be a bear to get out of the mold. Preheating the mold helps on the first cast to get a good fill and surface finish, but after that preheating is not required if you keep up a steady casting rate.

Plumbers lead and other near pure lead alloys will give softer weights but they will be heavier. The average 5 lb mold will only give you 5 lbs with pure lead and will be closer to 4 lbs with the alloy used in wheel weights. But then again wheel weights are often free for the taking if you bring your own bucket as many shops are just glad to get rid of them.

i wish i would have read this before i made my bc integrated weights. i made a wood mold and poured the meled led into it. it did not turn out as well as hoped for. the wood was not dry and the motlen lead boiled the water out of the wood leaving a lot of pocks in the weights. they are probably 3x7 inch weights. thin 2-3lbs each. the other problem i encountered was the using of the tire shop lead. the weights will crack if too thick when attempting to bend /contuor them to the body. now i know why. i dwill probably try a routered hard wood mold next time instead of pine.

KWS

Ni my integrated weight pockets, I just used the regular my 5 lb weight mold. The weights taper a bit toward the top, so if you load them upside down they are capable of forming a subtantial curve in the weight pouch.

Another option is to use a 2 lb clyindrical weight mold. They are about the right size for most poches and the round design of the weights also lets them confome t the curve of the waist band.

Have made a few more and learned a little more.

First dont bang weights out. I broke the handle off my first mold. :bonk: That lesson cost me $20.00.

I am off to the hardware store tomorrow to buy some graphite powder spray ($3.00). I tried dishsoap this evening. It worked but as the water was boiled out it didnt give a smooth finish. Not bad but not professional looking. Weight did fall right out though. I wait till the surface cools, about 2 minutes then drop the whole thing in a bucket of cold water.

I think with the proper graphite spray I can heat the mold good and get a good pour and finish. Can process lead into crucible while cooling previous weight. Now the mold doesnt hold up the time factor. Now the slowest part is melting the wheel weights into the crucible.

Ive discovered a better way of skimming off the crud that makes it into the crucible. Using a spoon I dont take it out, I "pull" the crud to one side of crucible. Making as many passes as necessary to get all to one side. THEN lift out the crud. Crud will float to top and when done right the lead will have a nice shiny sheen. Will try the parafin wax thing tomorrow to see if it works any better. May not be necessary though.

My process looks something like this:

1. Place wheel weights into homemade angle iron trough. Melt with MAPP gas torch.

2. Lead flows into hot pot/crucible.

3. Skim off any crap with spoon. Skim goes onto angle iron fixture.

4. When sufficient amount (almost all of my small pot is filled) of clean lead in crucible prep mold.

5. Mold is heated with torch. DOESNT TAKE MUCH. Dont burn a hole in mold!

6. Spray mold with graphite. (may have to swap steps 5 & 6).

7. Pour lead. Use torch if necessary to keep lead surface smooth.

8. When surface is firmed up. Doesnt take very long. Dump in bucket of water.

9. Start refining process over again for next weight.

10. When your ready for mold, take out of bucket and remove finished weight. Prep mold for next weight.

Thats my process. I bought a spray tool coating this evening. I was gonna get a "tool dip" product and dip the lead weights. This spray looked like a better deal. Same stuff but a spray. The dip they had was in too small a jar for my weights. Would have had to get a larger tub and in the end would have had waste. I have sprayed two weights and first coat looks good. Wanted it pretty thick so will have to use a few more coats. I have three small children and didnt want them or myself getting lead poisoning from the raw weights. This seals them up and makes 'em look good.

SparkySFD:
8. When surface is firmed up. Doesnt take very long. Dump in bucket of water.

Wrong answer!
Free water anywhere near molten lead is a bad thing. I have the scars to prove it!

Best bet is to let the mold cool until the surface freezes, then wait another 30 seconds or so. Then tap the weight out with a single sharp flat rap onto a flat hardwood surface. Avoid corner strikes! With the graphite lining it should come out clean. The sooner the lead can come out of the mold the less chance there is for it to stick in the mold If the weight breaks, wait an extra minute on the next one, or pour the lead a bit cooler. A chill on the hardening mold by by placing the filled mold on a damp towel for 10 seconds or so will also prevent weight breakage. The mold will still be hot enough to flash dry any water remaining on the mold before the next pour operation.

Do not handle the mold by the "handle", but get a good pair of leather welding gloves and handle it by the "bucket" part. Since you now have 2 molds (one less the handle) this should speed up your process a bit.

FT

Poured 7 weights this afternoon. Learned a bit more.

Gonna have to disagree with you, FredT, on taking the weights out quickly. Had to recast three of the seven I made today. They came out super slick, but all cracked. One was badly deformed.

What worked for me is:

1. Pour weight
2. Wait till weight firms up. Somewhere around 4-5 min. Its about 50 degrees here.
3. Dunk in bucket of water.

FredT

What problems have you had when tempering/dunking in water? Im assuming you maybe had an air pocket or something, and maybe a small explosion?

I actually dont have the mold with the handle anymore. Still trying to repair it. Learning curve on aluminum brazing is steep. But Im getting close.

I also refined my process. I am no longer melting tire weights in my angle iron fixture. Just putting them in my crucible and skimming crud out. I went through an entire bottle of MAPP gas doing weights for one belt. Thats getting too expensive. Im just using the MAPP torch when pouring lead into the mold. That way its really smooth.

Back
Top Bottom