Catalina and Marine Reserves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I sent the following to the OCDivingNews in reply to a message one of its members sent to the list. I thought I'd share my thoughts below for comment:

As one whose scientific research in the early 90's looked at valid scientific reasons for establishing marine reserves using methods consistent with the MLPA later passed by the legislature, I am saddened to see what was supposed to be a strictly scientific approach to reserve designation be compromised so seriously by those who wish to consume resources.

Around Catalina our existing "reserve network" has been largely defined historically by recreational and educational use rather than strictly on the basis of the best science. I had hoped that scientists working with divers, fishers and others would identify future protected areas from an ecosystem perspective rather than a human perspective.

The Lover's Cove reserve was established primarily so the glassbottom boats would have an "ideal" ecosystem for passengers' viewing pleasure. Of course it is not that... the species composition there has been altered by continuous feeding. One need only look at the high concentration of opaleyes there to see this shift.

The Dive Park is only a de facto preserve rather than a recognized CDF&G reserve. We try our best to maintain a "no take" approach there. However even this "no take" reserve is subject to shifts in ecosystem composition. A number of species including horn sharks, swell sharks, angel sharks, shovelnose guitarfish, torpedo rays, etc., that are seen in adjacent areas are fairly rare finds in the park itself. I attribute this anecdotally to the high pressure from as many as 400+ divers in the park at a time. Even our non-consumptive use of the dive park probably has caused shifts in ecosystem composition and dynamics.

The reserve at Toyon Bay was designated largely for educational purposes as was the USC reserve near Blue Cavern Point. Although these are valid reasons for creating reserves, they are still based on human needs rather than what is best for the larger ecosystem and network around the island.

In my opinion the only reserves that really make sense from an ecosystem point of view are the invertebrate reserve along the West End's leeward coast extending from Lion's Head Point north, and the Farnsworth Bank reserve designated to protect the purple hydrocoral.

A really useful reserve system, from an ecological point of view, should look at issues like persistent ecosystem health, representative species composition, dispersal phenomenon and current directions, etc. My work suggested the best areas for reserves would be along the West End's leeward and windward coasts, the stretch from Cat Harbor to Indian Point on the windward side, the Salta Verde area between China Point and Silver Canyon, and a few smaller areas along the leeward coast between the Isthmus and the East End.

Such a reserve system would include some of the most stable (persistent or resilient) kelp forests around the island. These serve as surrogates for what should be among the healthiest kelp forest communities. In addition, the reserves "up current" (for example around the West End) serve as source areas for the maintenance of non-reserve (and reserve) areas downcurrent. Motile organisms like fish may swim with, and planktonic larval forms drift with, the current to other areas of the island.

It has been very sad watching the degradation of what was initially a very promising approach to a much-needed reserve network around our state's coast. People refer to the "self-interest" of non-consumptive users (no-take divers, photographers, etc) when "their" interests coincide best with the actual needs of the non-human ecosystem.

I have dived Catalina waters off-and-on for 36 years. During those decades I have seen serious shifts and declines in many species with the most obvious being the abalone, white sea bass, yellowtail, etc. Of course there have been some positive changes such as the return of the giant sea bass to our waters.

I say this as a currently non-consumptive diver (I stopped all take except for scientific purposes back in 1975) who has no problem with those who take legally. I formerly spearfished for food (and would do it again if need be) and even had a part interest in a commercial salmon fishing boat.

As divers we all need to understand our ecosystems, their relative health and what is needed to ensure that healthy ecosystems remain... not only for non-consumptive users but also for fishers (through spillover into non-reserve areas). But the primary reason we should do all this is not for our own human needs, but for the intrinsic value of healthy ecosystems for the species who live within them.

My favorite poet, Robinson Jeffers, spoke of a philosophy of "inhumanism" in which we break through the strictly human framework and into a more "cosmic" perspective where we see things from the standpoint of ecosystems, geologic time and astronomical distances.

Dr. Bill Bushing

I do support your views, and have years of familiarity with all of the mentioned dive spots, including at least one moratorium(spelling?) I know and the park of course. I'm not certain I agree with the wide scope of areas that need to be included, but when you speak of the changes over the years with the "protected" park and how just the activity of divers has driven almost anything interesting from the park, I'd have to agree and since you have had 36 years to observe these changes, and I've seen changes in a significantly shorter period of time, you must know what you are talking about.

When it comes to conservation I personally believe in a very aggressive approach and no less, I'm very willing to give up my freedoms for my children and my philosophy on this will never change. Drawing virtual lines from one indistiguishable field, wetland, hill, or mountain to another has never seemed solid enough to protect, more like an idea on paper than a forcefield, but from cove to cove under the water it's much harder. Of course Buoy's with chains would be even more effective. I liken this "nearly futile effort" to the way the smoking and non-smoking section worked on airplanes and in restaurants in the past - simply a joke, knowing what we know now about second-hand smoke. It wasn't just enough to make a booth bench or a seat back the demarcation line.

Without mooring buoys on Farnsworth they should never have allowed boats to anchor in the first place. And I'd be all for a total ban on diving or boating or fishing or game taking of any kind for the whole winward side and 1/2 the leeward side, like I said aggressive no mercy.

Many years ago, about 1913 if memory serves me correctly, there was a marine reserve that extended all the way along the leeward coast or around the entire entire. The fishing interests got it reversed. Not much has changed since then, has it.

If only fishers and non-consumptive users would both agree that it is in the interests of both to establish reserves. Funny, it seems a fair way to divide the oceans would be 50/50. I think King Solomon had something there. There'd be a lot of howling if that happened!

DrBill,

Unfortuantely, the kind of preserve you are talking about reguires political action to create and maintain, and If we leave it the idiots from Sacramento who knows what will happen.

I have not been monitoring the progress of the Marine Life Protecton Act Inititive as closely as I should,( just what I have read in the Log) but it seems that the proposals being floated are based more on political expediency rather than scientific knowledge. There are some divers on the task force ( listed at http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mrd/mlpa/statewide.html ) but I don't know if there is anyone specifically knowledgeable about Catalina on it. If you can enlist some more knowlegeable people and come up with a specific plan and some data to back it up you might be able to start a local movement to include it in the state wide plan. I'm sure I and other local ScubaBoarders would do what we could to preserve our best diving resource.

And when we have that issue solved, maybe we can figure out how to stop the Navy Seals from poaching all the Lobster at San Clemente Island.

Actually my research has already been incorporated into one of the proposals submitted as part of the MLPA plan. We are hopeful that action here in the southern Channel Islands can be taken soon.

I knew I was "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs". Is there any effort being put into installing moorings at dive sites? I love to dive Ship Rock & Eagle Reef, but they are not easy anchorages and I cringe at the thought of what damage repeated anchors might be doing.

Hmmm, I don't see either Ship Rock or Eagle Reef being that difficult an anchorage as long as strong current or wind is not present. There are deep (and not so deep) sandy bottoms to drop anchor over at each if one approaches from the "right" direction.

When I see the large cruise ships dropping their gargantuan anchors in 200-400 ft of water outside Avalon I wonder how much damage they are doing. But then few divers here go that deep and all most businesses care about is the cash the passengers bring in.

Too much damage. Look at the differance between the back side and front of Anacapa.

Backside=wasteland

Front=Lush and teeming with life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom