Catalina crossing in small boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made close to fifty crossings in my 12' Achilles inflatable. After the first trip in fog I bought a handheld VHF, GPS, a Pelican case to keep them dry and of course, Vessel Assist. It's the cheapest insurance you can get. I also second the thought of leaving early. In the Summer, the winds pick up after noon and it can get pretty bouncy. I stopped going out in the inflatable if the swells were 3'+ with short intervals. I did love the fact that I could carry two divers with full gear, four tanks, a cooler plus a ten gallon gas tank and still get to Ship Rock in less than an hour. I loved passing the dive boats mid-channel. :D
Also, it's a nice feeling being able to go to Catalina, make a couple dives, have lunch and be back home by 2:00 and only spend the cost of about 4-5 gallons of gas. One more important thing I learned is to put your wetsuit on before you get in the boat. Even in the Summer, the salt water splashing on you gets so cold after a few minutes. On hot days I would put on my wetsuit and run water from a hose down the suit to keep cool before leaving. Once underway the breeze kept me cool.
Another recommendation is to learn all you can about Palos Verdes diving. There are many amazing reefs that are not accessible from shore. Inflatable diving P.V. is one of my best memories.

I've had friends who have tried this and had their only engine go out on them. Several drifted overnight before being found. The inflatables tend to drift with the wind and you can really get off course. I'm not as high risk taker these days.

If you have to ask IS it ok then you have not spent much time on the water. I am a huge fan of doing stupid things and going over in a 11foot anything is not so smart. How much time have you spent on the water? ever spin a prop and change it in the water? all kinds of fun things can happen. Post a report if you go. :) always like good storys!!!!!!!!!

Bill

I dont think going over in an inflatable is a dumb thing to do if you are prepared,thats the reason he asked the question.I am not saying its the safest thing to do but neither is diving but you bring enough equipment and have knowledge that can take care of most situations(not all). They actually race bathtubs over,Yeah I mean real bathtubs and jetskis go over all the time and I would pick an 11' rib over a jetski anyday.

saintsfan:
They actually race bathtubs over,Yeah I mean real .

I wasn't aware of this. Is it an organized event?

Of course my high school students paddled kayaks to the mainland at night after bedcheck so they could see their girlfriends. They'd return to the island before morning attendance, or have someone cover for them. We didn't lose a one, but I wouldn't call that safe. We did do the daylight crossings but with a safety boat.

And, yes, one can make the crossing safely... perhaps 50 or 100 times without incident. But what happens if that incident occurs on your first or second trip and you are not prepared?

I wouldn't do it, but to those who would... safe crossing and good diving!

Bottom line: it's probably not stupid but maybe not the most prudent thing to do. If you do go make sure to file a float plan with someone (next of kin?) who can report you missing if you don't show up on time. Outboard engines are not known for their reliability. When my father-in-law and I were sailing off Isla Mujeres, Mexico we had to rescue some young guys in an inflatable who's outboard had failed and were drifting into a nasty looking thunderstorm. The inflatables make lousy row boats.

Sounds like suicide to me, but it will definately be an adventure. That 15HP should do great in strong current and big swells.

Now, if you had one of these, then go for it.......I want to go with. I know how to skipper these things, miss mine.

http://www.makoinflatablesusa.com/7.8M_photo3.html

For the first trip you might want to buddy up with a bigger boat just for safety. What Kind of spped can you do with a 15 HP?

The weight to horsepower ratio with a 15HP is excellent. Seems like 20 knots in calm conditions is very possible. Add in choppy seas and the limiting factor is how much of a beating do you want to take and how wet do you want to get.

Back
Top Bottom