Catalina crossing in small boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I work as a boat Captain everyday supplying support to all the offshore oil riggs. Any prudent Mariner,,,would probally not do it in a 11ft boat.

drbill:
I wasn't aware of this. Is it an organized event?

Of course my high school students paddled kayaks to the mainland at night after bedcheck so they could see their girlfriends. They'd return to the island before morning attendance, or have someone cover for them. We didn't lose a one, but I wouldn't call that safe. We did do the daylight crossings but with a safety boat.

And, yes, one can make the crossing safely... perhaps 50 or 100 times without incident. But what happens if that incident occurs on your first or second trip and you are not prepared?

I wouldn't do it, but to those who would... safe crossing and good diving!
I was in longbeach several years ago and at the marine stadium launch ramp they were setting up the race,I dont know if it was an annual event or a one time thing its just one of those things you dont forget

Back
Top Bottom