Catalina Turkey Day Eats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi folks:

Any recommendations for best place to eat on Catalina over Thanksgiving?
Unrelated query, what was the latest that the black sea bass were seen this year?

Thanks,
Slingshot

Would probably suggest Channel House as the owner puts out great food. I think there will be a number of restaurants offering turkey dinners though. Antonio's and El Galleon I'm sure.

I've been off in Florida the past week, but saw plenty of black sea bass two weeks ago at Italian Gardens. We thought they'd be leaving by then, but they were at 60-90 ft and every diver on the King Neptune saw at least one and the divers were spread throughout the area. I saw and filmed at least five that day.

Speaking of Catalina on Thanksgiving weekend, how busy is the dive park usually? A few of my friends and I were going to dive on the Friday after Thanksgiving, and wasn't sure if it was so busy that it is hard to rent tanks and weights, or just busy like a regular Saturday. She is coming down from Palo Alto, and would really love to leave the heavy stuff behind if it makes sense! Thanks!

Shouldn't be a problem Thanksgiving weekend. I don't remember the weekend being that crowded and the fill station should be open Fri at Noon. Certainly nothing like the occasional check out weekend messes during summer!

So far, my three favorite places to eat are Ristorante Villa Portofino, Steve's Steakhouse and Armstrong's (in that order).

Christian

Local paper just came out (with another of my scintillating "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" columns) and here's the Thanksgiving dinner news based on the restaurant ads:

Steve's Steakhouse turkey dinner $20
El Galleon turkey or ham dinner $18
Villa Portofino turkey dinner $22
Antonio's turkey dinner $17
Dr. Bill's house bread-and-water (all you can eat) $20

Along the same lines...
Any recommendations on where to stay Thanksgiving night? Gonna do a nitrox course and a couple other specialties for family members, figure we'll just spend Thanksgiving together on the island. Sure beats staying at home and cooking :D

I dove last Thanksgiving weekend, and the dive park was not crowded at all. Spectacular vis! The winds picked up and so did the chop on my second day of the trip, and a planned day on the King Neptune had to be cancelled. Quite a gusty weekend, as I recall, with waves crashing up and over Olaf's and boats breaking loose from moorings.

CDS says their van will be open Friday from noon, perhaps earlier if it looks like there will be demand. I'm told normal hours Saturday and Sunday. See y'all there.

Slingshot

We'll be staying in Avalon earlier in the week (11/21 -11/23). It sounds like the conditions have been pretty good the past new days. The swell forecast shows a some moderate ground swell combo mix picking up through the weekend ... NW (6ft , 295 deg, 16 sec) and SW ( 3ft, 225 deg, 18 sec). The ride over could be a little bumpy. Not sure if the angle right to wrap into the point/bay.

WyCal:
Along the same lines...
Any recommendations on where to stay Thanksgiving night? Gonna do a nitrox course and a couple other specialties for family members, figure we'll just spend Thanksgiving together on the island. Sure beats staying at home and cooking :D

Have lived here 36 years and only stayed in two hotels. I usually recommend Seaport Villlage since their rates are good, the rooms are newer construction, they have a hot tub and a shuttle will take you and your gear down to the dive park. Pavilion Lodge is center of town but may still be expensive. Best bet is to check www.catalina.com for info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom