Catalog sale warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, Allison, you never told us what LeisurePro said when you called them and told them about your problems.

That is, yanno, pretty relevant.

PS there's nothing "illegal" about what they're doing.

I don't think the manufacturers really care about grey market goods. First, most high value scuba equipment have serial numbers and they can trace where LP and others bought the goods and then refuse to sell to the suppliers of grey market goods. Second, the manufacturers get paid their wholesale price and then do not have any obligation to service the equipment (which is a win-win situation). I think they only make an issue out of this to keep the LDS happy and support their pricing.

What kind of Problem with Your PC interface...? That sounds like a user issue correct? What's the actual problem here? all this LP bashing...Over What? nothing is clear in the original thread as to what the detailed problem actually is..for the record..

"Gray market" goods are usually the same as their non-gray equivalents. They're just priced lower in order to move stock in a wider variety of economies. Sometimes the quality is a little different and the warrantees are usually quite different, but in the case of scuba gear, why bother with the expense of differentiating your product line unless you have to? I have to agree with ams511: the manufacturer is not loosing money either way, and moving more product.

I'd be suprised if LP didn't try to get the original poster a replacement.

Wreck:
I'd be suprised if LP didn't try to get the original poster a replacement.

LeisurePro would certainly replace the dl kit if it were defective. I don't know what the big deal is. It's obvious the original poster didn't even ask LP for a replacement.

Can only relate my personal and a few friends experiences with LP.........all good. Size problems, exchanged no problem. Wrong item, replaced no problem. Defective item, replaced no problem. The prices are good and so is the customer service. I would LOVE to buy all my dive gear locally but their prices are much higher AND their service is POOR. I usually know more about the products they are selling than the "salesperson" does! So for me, LP is my LDS.

Allison Finch:
Sounds like many people who bash LP want to have their cake and eat it, too.
WHAT!?! What I would like is to buy legal equipment from a reputable dealer! Preferably equipment that works. I will continue to buy small cheap items that have little chance of malfunction (mask, fins, knives etc). Items that are costly....I'm saving no money by buying illegally sold equip.

Then don't buy from LP. There is no law requiring you to buy from one vendor v. another. The equipment is not illegally purchased or sold. It is merely obtained outside a particular distribution channel. There are Federal and state laws regulating business practices. They are known as the Uniform Commercial Code, or UCC. If the LPs of the world were engaging in illegal activity, the distributors of the "illegally obtained" equipment could, and probably would, sue to stop the activity. Another ground might betrademark violations. That they do not is ample evidence that there is nothing wrong with the activity. All the official distributors can do is what they do; refuse to honor warranties, etc.

No matter where you buy equipment, if it fails during use, the warranty won't matter.

jonnythan:
LeisurePro would certainly replace the dl kit if it were defective. I don't know what the big deal is. It's obvious the original poster didn't even ask LP for a replacement.

Allison please tell us, did you contact Leisure Pro?

If so what did they do?

If not why?

Mike

Yes contact LeisurePro and then tell us what they say.

I don't read this thread as a bash against LeisurePro. I read it as a bash against Suunto for refusing to warranty their own gear.

Since Allison paid $120 for it. Most LDS's sell it for $99(msrp). I've had a couple that actually tore up but I was able to repair them myself at our shop. But then they were bought at our shop also. Send me a pm Allison and I'll see if I can't give you some ideas on what might be wrong with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom