Catching lobsters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One thing that I didn't see mentioned for the guys just getting into catching bugs is that most of the time, moray eels live with them. Make sure you don't just start reaching into cracks or ledges and not pay attention to what is around you when you are doing it. Just a little FYI.

Tried to upload pic but Scubaboard must still be having problems.

No different advice for So Cal really. I do not think we can use loopers, but not sure. Also regulation size out here is 3 1/4 " carapace.. better have a gauge or a really good eye for size.

Also watch out for sea urchins as well when sticking hands in holes... the lobsters sometime hang around them.. You can catch during the day of you go to an area with lots of kelp and sea grass... the Friday after T-day I went out with a friend and we got 7 bugs between the 2 of us on a day beach-entry dive.. not too bad...

Each diver is required to have a gauge on your person. "A really good eye" isn't enough as far as DFG is concerned. Lobster in CA is caught by hand only with SCUBA.

Humm Quick Question.
Im From Canada and here what I see in the picture are not Called Lobster.
Actually Im a French Canadian and what I see in the picture are "Langoustine" or Langouste. Lobster got a set of claws, but not langostine. Is lobster the correct for lobster without claws ?

I went diving in Atlantic City on the Almirante ,last summer (7th dive ever). I saw a huge Lobster (around 8lbs) and that dude had huge claws. I showed it to the dive master and he tried to catch it with is hands but miss it. These dudes are freaking fast and scared the hell out of me with there huge claws. When I think of it today I still can beleive that Matt (divemaster) shove his hand into that hole trying to touch or catch theat monster.

6.jpg

Those Lobster without claws live in warmer water right ?

That's right. Warmer water. Here in Florida and the Bahamas, the lobster have no front claws. They can still get pretty big though.....over 10 lbs.

Lobster got a set of claws, but not langostine. Is lobster the correct for lobster without claws ?

The Florida laws call them Spiney Lobster, but we just call them "Bugs"

I like the RB pictured with the lobster. Down here, FWC would try to take it and let you prove later that you weren't using it to hunt.

hey i live in an area where u cant use tickle sticks and need to catch lobster by hand, any suggestions on how to get them, theyre craftly little animals and always seem to be way smarter than me:dork2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom