Catfish spearfishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We called it grappling catfish. That's why I learned to dive in the first place at fourteen, so I could dive with my cousin in Arkansas during May and June. First you build a plywood box about 4 feet long by 3 feet wide by 1 foot in depth and sink it about 12 to 15 feet of water with rocks or gallon paint cans with concrete in them. Then you buy a large hook, one with about a 4 inch shank and you lash it to a short stick as a grip. Next you stick your hand into the hole and the catfish hits, or if it is big enough, swallows your hand. You jerk your hand hooking the fish and pull him out of the den.

The thirty to forty pound opelousas will give your arm a tooth rash and bruise it a little, but the 20 lb blues are vicious.

You don't need no stinking spear dude.

Stan

Any Moray noodlers out there?

t-town:
Just remeber if the hole goes up let it go, if is goes down, get after it.

I am confused what do you mean if the hole goes up let it go, if it goes down get after it? Also being from Texas originally, I would be worried about water moccassins and other critters hanging out in holes under the bank. How do you, avoid that?

BMETdiver:
I am confused what do you mean if the hole goes up let it go, if it goes down get after it? Also being from Texas originally, I would be worried about water moccassins and other critters hanging out in holes under the bank. How do you, avoid that?

Flathead catfish like tight fitting holes, when the top of the hole angles upward, there is a greater chance of finding a beaver or snapping turtle. I grew up along a muddy river with lots of undercut banks. I didn't noodle, but knew several men who did. Water moccassins usually weren't under water in the holes, but nearby where you tried to get into or out of the river, on a sloping bank.
I dive in lakes with 5 to 15 foot vizibility and have the best luck finding catfish in holes slightly larger than the fish. It also helps if there are baitfish in the area. Last week we dove with heavy cloud cover from Rita and the catfish were outside the holes. The flatheads were along side rocks with baitfish all around. When we approached, the cats would run.

mudfish:
mudhole:
Thanks! This is good info. I have been told by some they will take a perforated can of dog food in a mesh bag and place it to attract catfish. Have you ever tried bait? In our area (South Carolina) many large catfish are taken in rivers as well as lakes by fishermen. From your reply I assume you are mostly in lakes. Do you move around or pick a good spot and wait?
The folks around here use cat food. The cheapest stuff you can find. It seems to bring just about everthing to them. Its great fun to watch someone with a cane pole on a bridge trying to haul in a snapping turtle the size of a spare tire.

I do. Plenty of lakes with good visibility if you are willing to do some research. Here's some pics of channel cats and carp shot in Tennessee with a 90 cm gun. Flathead cat.jpg4 Channel cats.jpgChannel Cat.jpg

I spearfish the great Dale Hollow Lake world record small mouth bass lake here in ten every weekend starting in may I seem to have the best luck in 10-20 ft of water at night and find good rocky banks with lots of holes and just swim the bank till you see that unlucky one I use a jbl 31" with double band the longer guns seem to be more in the way then a help due to viz and the gun I got its perfect shot some big cats 68 lbs flathead is the biggest and all I wanted took another shot from a buddy and both of us to wrangle it to the surface if anyone ever in the area in summer give me a shout thru pm be happy to take anyone

Back
Top Bottom