Catlina or Luxfer 40 cf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nope. That's not what he wanted at all. Thanks for playing, though. Hopefully the OP has his answer.

There's a number of errors in that table. I see two glaring ones, one is the buoyancy swing in the Catalina 40 specs and the other is Worthington LP85 specs (they are 7.25" and galvanized, not 7.00 and powder coated). I pointed them out to Joel a while back.

Unless you have a LOT of helium in your 40, it's going to be negative at the start of a dive. Unless you're towing stages on a leash from the hip d-ring, I don't think trim (balance) of the stage is that important since it's more related to your stage rigging than the tank's trim.

We also played with Cat and Lux AL80s in the bucket at FillExpress a few years ago and we were unable to detect much difference in how the tank trimmed at various pressures. They both went "butt up" when they swung buoyant.

Nice rip-off of TDL's website without providing credit.

To answer the OP's question: I've never used a Catalina tank. But I've found Luxfer 40s and 80s to be great...including carrying both a 40 and an 80 on the left side.

Obviously you don't count reading as a skill! It is right on the chart as to who ripped it off in the first place and all credits are given so take a chill pill!

I have both Luxfer and Cat 40's. The Luxfers ride nicer; the Catalinas tend to hang funnier. I use the Catalina's for O2, which (I think) helps a little since most of the time the bottle isn't starting full.

Short, answer, what everybody else said... you want Luxfers.

To answer the OP's question: I've never used a Catalina tank. But I've found Luxfer 40s and 80s to be great...including carrying both a 40 and an 80 on the left side.

I just got a Hy Mark AL40. It rides the same as the Luxfer. I don't notice the difference. I didn't like the Catalinas. It didn't ride up like the Luxfer when getting empty.

Anyone have a picture of the Cat and Lux 40's side by side with equal pressures?

Anyone have a picture of the Cat and Lux 40's side by side with equal pressures?
ill try and take one for you this weekend maybe but i have both the cat has a heaver bottom making it come out the the slip other then that im not to sure why other then the ride so much better and with less drag in other words you want to get the lux

Someone told me once that either the Catlina or Luxfer 40 cf bottles are better balanced at a deco/stage.

Luxfer definitely better, imho. Wouldn't use a 40 as a stage bottle though...

Everyone I've spoken to recommends the Luxfer. I'm sure either would work, though.

Exactly.

All my tanks are Luxfers, but out here (when we need a lot of bottles for a big group) we are often forced to use Catalinas due to availabity. Both will do but I prefer Luxfer.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom